Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter: Practice Squads to 10 players 2014 and 2015 seasons

Audible_Red40

Mods if you feel the need to put this in around the NFL, please move.  Although intended for a discussion regarding the Redskins practice squad.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 10m

Now official: NFL and NFL Players Association have agreed to expand Practice Squads to 10 players 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Capt. Kirk to practice squad....  kidding.

I like this though.  As we develop more depth, this seems to be a good thing for our team.  I think the rules are that 2 PS players can have 2 years in the league and up to 32 games played. 

This means players like Gettis and LeRibeus can go on the practice squad. 

Capt. Kirk to practice squad.... kidding.

I like this though. As we develop more depth, this seems to be a good thing for our team. I think the rules are that 2 PS players can have 2 years in the league and up to 32 games played.

This means players like Gettis and LeRibeus can go on the practice squad.

Are the rules still that you have to release them, and then you can sign them to your PS if they clear waivers? But the player has a choice to go to another teams practice squad if they choose to?

If so, I think it would be hard to get Ribs and Gettis to the practice squad. I don't know if they would agree to come back if another team offered anything at all.

Mark Rashad Ross, Will Compton and Silas Redd on the practice squad for sure. I really like that we can keep some extras around now.

Beat writers seem to think Compton makes the 53 (and I tend to agree), but who knows.

Ross is intriguing. Not much hype (at all) in camp, but he's making plays. Super long shot to make the team, though if he keeps up with the ST plays... again, who knows.

I think Crawford, LeRibeus, Thompson and Gettis are all solid options to land on the PS as well.

a little more on the expanded practice squad and changed eligibility rules for 2 of the 10 spots

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/nfl-expands-both-practice-squad-size-and-eligibility

The headline was that the NFL expanded the number of players each team may carry on its practice squad from eight to 10. But another change may have been more important.

The league expanded the eligibility for two of those practice squad spots. A team will be able to carry two players who have earned no more than two seasons of free agency credit on the practice squad. Previously a player who had been on a 46-man game day roster nine or more times in a season would be ineligible for the practice squad. Generally a season of free agency credit means a year spent either on the 53-man roster or on injured reserve.

Under the new eligibility policy the Redskins could put players such as 2012 draft picks Josh LeRibeus, Adam Gettis, or Tom Compton on the practice squad. All three of them have spent too many games on the game day active list to qualify under the old rules but as reserve offensive linemen they all have played just a handful of snaps. The expanded eligibility could allow the Redskins to continue to develop them.

In order to get to the practice squad a player has to pass through waivers, so every NFL team would have a chance to add the player to its active roster first. Once a player is on the practice squad another team can sign him away at any time.

Archived