Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for Evan Royster

The Trashman

Evan Royster: A very dependable back who does what he is requested to do. While he may not be the home-run threat of Seastrunk or solid playmaker as Morris, he has done his work steadily over the years he's been here.

I think him being injured previously and being in the Shanahan system had hurt his stock. Reports indicated Shanahan disliked his high running style and he fell out of favor.

The fact remains he is a high pedigree running back, capable of carrying the ball on every down, if need be, or catching it effectively out of the backfield.

Remember, this is the same guy who broke Curt Warner's rushing records at Penn State. He came highly regarded but maybe at the wrong time.

This just might be his season to break out. Maybe the 'Skins will trade him for a very good player OR keep him and do away with both Thompson and Redd.

If the 'Skins were smart, they might want to think of keeping him along with Morris, Helu and Seastrunk.

Thoughts??

I think the best shot he has at making the team would be proving he can pick up a blitz. I wrote him off, but he acquitted himself well last night and it looks like he can catch out of the backfield. I could see him as a Kenny Watson 3rd down back IF he proves to be a solid pass blocker.

Both Helu and Royster have had awesome games as starters for us in the past. I have never felt like we lose much when we have to go with either guy. They both have very low mileage on their odometers so I see no reason to part with either player.

I know there's a lot of Seastrunk and Redd talk going around but I like the guys we a;ready have on the roster. However, it's nice to be deep at the RB position!

I like Royster.  He's very solid.  This is what you call a problem of riches.

In my perfect world you have

Morris  Starter

Helu 3rd Down back

Lache Change of pace back

Royster Emergency Back

Young Full back

Redd Protected Practice Squad

Oh, and the regular season Roster would be expanded to at least 60.

I don't think Royster sucked at any time. He was hurt so underperformed. In 2011, it was Royster who finished the season starting for the ‘Skins with a 113 yards on the ground and 52 in the air during Week 17 against the Eagles.

Now, i like Helu, Morris and Royster. They all bring different intangibles to the table. All very good backs but not all 3 are used to their full capabilities or potential.

Let's see if Gruden will keep all 3, along with Seastrunk AND if he would be able to utilize all 3 to their full capabilities.

Damn here I thought I was the only one in his camp ... 

He's the best back they have after Morris ... and there might be some things he does better than Morris (e.g., pass protection and hmmm pass receiving maybe).  If they cut him he might actually be in a better place ... Jacksonville would be well advised to sign as soon as he's available and start him.

I posted some thing last year that made the point that when he is playing as the 'starting' back he's racked up excellent numbers ... and is a statistically better option that Helu by a country mile ... most likely to get you 3+ yd/carry, least likely to get you 0 or fewer yds/carry.  (Don't know but also don't think that last years stats significantly changed Morris or Helu's tendancies.)

Add that's he's a local stand-up kid who's got family in the area.

I like Royster.  He's very solid.  This is what you call a problem of riches.

In my perfect world you have

Morris  Starter

Helu 3rd Down back

Lache Change of pace back

Royster Emergency Back

Young Full back

Redd Protected Practice Squad

Oh, and the regular season Roster would be expanded to at least 60.

100% agree ... don't like the idea of Helu (tweeked after one pre-season game) as a 20+ carry/game rusher.  He never was one and he's tended to get banged up.  Check his numbers in 2011 ... they ramped down as the games piled up.  Royster should be Morris' back-up and Helu and the rest of the backs can fight it out for 3rd down/change of pace back.

Royster has the same problem as Morris...he doesn't score touchdowns.

Have you checked Helu's numbers?  Royster TD/carry virtually the same as Helu with far fewer starting/main rusher opportunities.

The knock on Royster is takes him half a game to get going. Thompson is going to be gone if he can't get healthy & show anything. They really  like Redd. Seastrunk is a Gruden draft pick so he's safe. Helu can actually catch out of the backfield while Alf, the the guy, but has that fumble issue.

Figure they keep 4 of em, but #4 is going to have to make it on Special Teams.

I think Redd can be stashed on the PS. 

I figure it this way, and it's based on much more than a couple plays this preseason. As a Pnn st. fan,  i've watched Royster for a long time. And if there's one thing about him ... he is tenacious, tough, shiftier than you think,  and he never stops coming. he HAMMERS defenders. 

Which is a better 3rd down option: Helu or Royster? I'd say they both have the ability to catch the ball in space. I think Royster is a more instinctive runner, he knows how to set up and follow blocks, and he knows how to use the field. Helu can do the same, and has more speed,,  so a slight advantage to Helu there. 

As a rusher it's no contest, Royster is a more complete back. He goes forward, he finds cracks and makes gains, he can push, he hits hard and he never stops churning his legs, he does not waste time moving side to side looking for something if his initial option seems small. given a hole, Helu can use his speed, but given just a crease he won't do anything. Royster will push it, and he will gain yards. He gets a lot of  yards after contact, very much like Morris.

Blocking,, which is decidedly better? If anyone can tell me why it's not a wash there, i'll be glad to listen. I haven't noticed much difference.

and the big one..

If Morris goes down, who would you rather take over as our every down back? Which one gives you confidence of the toughness and durability it requires, along with the ability to make the tough yards?

As of now, i have Royster at #2. Underlined.

~Bang

To me Royster is a straighforward type RB.  He is never going to break off a huge run and run away from his defenders with blazing speed.  But he will hold onto the ball and get positive yards most of the time, albeit 4-5 yards at a time.  He doesn't have amazing moves nor does he hit the hole fast.  He's nothing special imo, but capable.  Not sure where he fits in, but I do know that I like Helu over him.  Need to see more of Seastrunk. 

i guess the main question is,, how many running backs?

If it's 4, Redd to PS, Thompson can hit the road, Helu, Royster, Seastrunk and Morris, obviously.

And of course the FB Young.  so technically 5

if it's strictly 4 and they're afraid to expose Seastrunk, I'd stick with Royster over Helu.

~Bang

and the big one..

If Morris goes down, who would you rather take over as our every down back? Which one gives you confidence of the toughness and durability it requires, along with the ability to make the tough yards?

The problem is, I don't think that is "the big one". In fact, I don't think it's important at all. If Morris goes down, the team will and should go to a RB by committee system. We don't have another back who can do what AM can do, and we'd be foolish to try. Therefore, I really am not interested in who could do the better job given 300 carries, when that won't happen anyway.

I think helu's stock has gone down and while Royster has looked good, so has Lache and Redd.  I would like to see the rookies perform against the first team, before I make a decision. 

They tend to get hit and go down and add Thompson to that list as well as Helu ... Royster got tackled at the 3 yard line by a linebacker ... and didn't stop until he hit the endzone turf 1 yard deep for the TD.  That's the trend with him ... when he goes down he still gets yards ... very much like of Riggins used to 

Isn't Helu our only true pass-catching RB option? 

Not so far as I've seen.  he's been given the most opportunity, but i think it's pretty clear he hasn't got the only two hands. And in fact last week he dropped one in his hands over the middle as the outlet receiver. 

I think when it comes to pass receiving, it's a new ballgame for our RBs with Gruden's offense. and so far under that, I haven't seen any clear cut reason either are better or worse.. although Royster's catch downfield last night was nice, and he showed good feet after the reception.

~Bang

To me Royster is a straighforward type RB. He is never going to break off a huge run and run away from his defenders with blazing speed. But he will hold onto the ball and get positive yards most of the time, albeit 4-5 yards at a time. He doesn't have amazing moves nor does he hit the hole fast. He's nothing special imo, but capable

Coaches dream for most part... Which is why I said last week he should make team given whats behind Morris.

On side note... I love me so AlMo. Guy can play

Archived