Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens v Skins... an unfair preseason

Burgold

I'd like to use this as the pregame chat for the Ravens game even though it's way early. :)

Something has been bugging me about this preseason and I think I know what it is.  The Raven's game is going to be the first honest preseason game for the 'skins.  Let me explain.

Preseason game one was Pats vs. Redskins.  It was unfair in two ways... first: a whole bunch of Pats players sat out.  I actually don't think that's a big deal because that seems to be the way of things across the NFL today.  The Redskins stomped them good and that's fine.  It's the second part of the unfairness that makes it more difficult to guage Washington though.

Those three days of joint practice may have set up a familiarity that gave the players and coaches a bit of an advantage.  Mind you, the Pats had the same advantage, but I don't care about that.  What I wonder if it negates our ability to a degree especially on defense in judging coverage and playcalling.  If you know their tendencies (and they're playing vanilla to boot) does that translate into a fair test when trying to assess how well the team or a player is playing.

In the same way, the Redskins' Defense went up against Kyle Shanahan yesterday.  Again, that's a huge advantage for the D in terms of knowing the playbook, the strategy and the mindset.  Does that make it easier for the D and if so, does it make it harder to judge them.  Conversely, Kyle knows Haslett so does that cancel out the advantage?

The Ravens' game will be the first one without that familiarity effect.  We haven't been practicing against them this year or have the advantage of knowing one side of the ball's coaches intimately.  Will we see a different team?  The Ravens represent a series of challenges, but it may be our first "honest" test.  In that way, I think this game is the most interesting to anticipate.

Another good d vs. our growing O, but most importantly, a 'skins D that has looked good that finally will go against an O that is new to them.  This may be the best coach's test... at least as so far as that is possible in preseason.

And we play the Ravens every pre-season!  That familiarity shouldn't count either....  we're only getting 1 pre-season game  /fliptable..

On to a more serious note...    Players spend all week mimicing teams from tape they have.   That's kind of the norm...

Does it prepare you 100%?  No, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.   The same is true for any of these games.

Preseason is about evaluating players at the player level, and how they interact at the team level.   You can tell someone the route that a WR is going to run over and over...  they might still get burned.  It just depends on the player's skills, which is what you're looking for. (Also the dynamic of how your players play together).

The game itself is just an after thought.

(You'll notice in the interview with Jay, he said "They only got 3 points on us...  so that's good".   They scored a lot more than 3 points, but nobody cared, it wasn't the Redskins they were playing at that point, it was try-outs in hardcore mode)

Do we actually play the Ravens every preseason?  It does seem we play or scrimage against them a lot.

I think your point is valid, but I do wonder if the familiarity factor impacts the way players play or coaches coach.  I think that makes this Ravens' game more interesting than the previous two.

Well... interesting relative to the preseason, that is :D

Do we actually play the Ravens every preseason?  It does seem we play or scrimage against them a lot.

I think your point is valid, but I do wonder if the familiarity factor impacts the way players play or coaches coach.  I think that makes this Ravens' game more interesting than the previous two.

Well... interesting relative to the preseason, that is :D

I'd like to add that I don't like playing the Ravens in the 3rd preseason game. We always seem to get players hurt against the Ravens in preseason and in the 3rd game we'll have our starters on the field a lot longer. Oy vey.

Offensively it shouldn't be that much of a test. Our starting cb's are all banged up and the run defense has been getting gouged. But RGIII better be smart with the pass rush, which has been impressive. This would be the game to see what potential the Redskin offense really has. I wanna see too, for fantasy draft purposes lol

Great minds think alike Burgold. I was wishing there was a thread to talk about the Ravens game, and you created one two hours ago. lol

Offensively it shouldn't be that much of a test. Our starting cb's are all banged up and the run defense has been getting gouged. But RGIII better be smart with the pass rush, which has been impressive. This would be the game to see what potential the Redskin offense really has. I wanna see too, for fantasy draft purposes lol

Good to see some info from fans of the other team. I'm really feeling the Ravens this year. I think that right now, they are the second best team in the AFC and if they can get the Broncos at home, they could probably go back to the Super Bowl...

Until then, I'm glad we are playing them in the third pre-season game. This should be an excellent test for us. The Ravens are a tough team and we're trying to become a tough team. I expect a lot of intensity, even for a third pre-season game. 

You could argue that we won't see a "franchise" quarterback until we play Seattle. 

I don't know.  Flacco has the "it" of a franchise qb.  He certainly has the salary of one.  Come playoff time he can be pretty magical.  He's not a pretty qb, but has been very effective given the team's needs.

I put him sort of in the Roethlisberger category... doesn't feel like a great qb, but he's a winner

And we play the Ravens every pre-season!  That familiarity shouldn't count either....  we're only getting 1 pre-season game  /fliptable..

On to a more serious note...    Players spend all week mimicing teams from tape they have.   That's kind of the norm...

Does it prepare you 100%?  No, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.   The same is true for any of these games.

Preseason is about evaluating players at the player level, and how they interact at the team level.   You can tell someone the route that a WR is going to run over and over...  they might still get burned.  It just depends on the player's skills, which is what you're looking for. (Also the dynamic of how your players play together).

The game itself is just an after thought.

(You'll notice in the interview with Jay, he said "They only got 3 points on us...  so that's good".   They scored a lot more than 3 points, but nobody cared, it wasn't the Redskins they were playing at that point, it was try-outs in hardcore mode)

in the interview with gruden, he was asked about the interception, and thatts what he meant when he said they only got 3 points on us. he didnt mean like for the whole game.

Preseaon is for evaluation and execution.  Going for it on 4th down from the goal line instead of field goal = good call.  Going for 2 on final play = good call.

Doesn't matter who plays who, just execute to evaluate.

Redskins are 8-0 in their last 8 preseason games 9-1 in their last 10.  The playing field is even any game.  There is no "real test".  It's vanilla and shouldn't be 4 games long!

Don't get me wrong I still tune in always, even if I PVR, I stay away from the internets because I love the suspense.

If you know their tendencies (and they're playing vanilla to boot) does that translate into a fair test when trying to assess how well the team or a player is playing....................... This may be the best coach's test... at least as so far as that is possible in preseason.

To answer your question Yes it does translate to a fair assessment because the point of preseason is to assess individual play not scheme. You are looking at individual technique, decision making, strength at the point of attack, ability to play stout on the line, ability to close and tackle, ability to shed and tackle, form tackling with consistency, hustle, effort, fight, sustain blocks, nastiness, route running, beat press coverage, recognize zones, interaction with teammates, sustain focus etc....

All these can be assessed, perhaps better more accurately, without the aid scheme and gameplanning. Gameplanning may help a team look sharp but may not help as much in evaluation. If I want to compare Tyler to Compton what better way then to see them both run the same plays without help? In a gameplan situation you might scheme for Tyler/Compton to get help from a back or slide protection. But there is no better evaluation then to see them match-up against the DE without help.

To your second point I think this will be the best preseason game in terms of what to expect from the offense and defense because this game will show some of their actual gameplan/philosophy.

I don't know.  Flacco has the "it" of a franchise qb.  He certainly has the salary of one.  Come playoff time he can be pretty magical.  He's not a pretty qb, but has been very effective given the team's needs.

I put him sort of in the Roethlisberger category... doesn't feel like a great qb, but he's a winner

It'll be a good test for sure.  They have decent weapons.

I was just saying that our defense saw Mallet in the first PS game, and they saw last night's follie last night.  Saturday it's Flacco...

Then it's Tampa. 

So we won't know how good/bad we are in the secondary until we play Chip Kelly and friends.

You and the Seattle game, man. lol

They are the champs, and frankly they play my style of football and I hate it.

Assuming we are better than our schedule (show up to that game above .500), that is the statement game of the first half of the season.

Plus I hate them.  Right in the face.

If I want to compare Tyler to Compton what better way then to see them both run the same plays without help? In a gameplan situation you might scheme for Tyler/Compton to get help from a back or slide protection. But there is no better evaluation then to see them match-up against the DE without help.

Total aside, but did you see Logan block Mingo one on one in the first drive?  Ran him right up the field. 

...Total aside, but did you see Logan block Mingo one on one in the first drive?  Ran him right up the field.

Yup, that's the Logan I'm used to seeing. The Logan who the coaching staff would line-up next to Polumbus so that he and not Tyler set the edge in the outside zone.

Paulsen was often used to block the DE/OLB 1-on-1 in pass protection on short drops.

I'm a big time Paulsen fan, underrated pass catcher too.

I'd like to add that I don't like playing the Ravens in the 3rd preseason game. We always seem to get players hurt against the Ravens in preseason and in the 3rd game we'll have our starters on the field a lot longer. Oy vey.

ALWAYS. Seems like that game preseason or otherwise has tons of injuries and usually a bunch on our side.

WAIT! There's been 2 games already?

Well Hell, that's just not nice. They could of waited until this weekend being as I only came back to football like today.

Darn Redskins!! (We are still called that right?).

Hail.

I DVR'd the games for you, just hands off the applewood bacon when you come over. :angry:  

Next game is Saturday vs Ravens.  Then on Thursday we have (what I like to call) the Brandon Banks Bowl vs Tampa Bay.  That's where one player will do something to convince the fan base we can't live without them, but ultimately we find something wrong with them and put them on IR for the season.

Yup, that's the Logan I'm used to seeing. The Logan who the coaching staff would line-up next to Polumbus so that he and not Tyler set the edge in the outside zone.

Paulsen was often used to block the DE/OLB 1-on-1 in pass protection on short drops.

I'm a big time Paulsen fan, underrated pass catcher too.

Yep.  And this year (so far) his pass pro has been really improved.  Mingo is not easy to block.  That's plus plus.

What I hate the most about the Ravens game is Harbaugh will always try and win the game and it taints talent eval (unless you know what you are looking at).  So this game has potential to cause the fanbase to freak out.

However, they are thin in the secondary right now due to injuries, so look for really good performances from the ones and then it'll level out and possibly suck as we get into our offensive depth.

This will also be another really good test for our line from top to bottom.

I DVR'd the games for you, just hands off the applewood bacon when you come over. :angry:  

Next game is Saturday vs Ravens.  Then on Thursday we have (what I like to call) the Brandon Banks Bowl vs Tampa Bay.  That's where one player will do something to convince the fan base we can't live without them, but ultimately we find something wrong with them and put them on IR for the season.

Yep.  And this year (so far) his pass pro has been really improved.  Mingo is not easy to block.  That's plus plus.

What I hate the most about the Ravens game is Harbaugh will always try and win the game and it taints talent eval (unless you know what you are looking at).  So this game has potential to cause the fanbase to freak out.

However, they are thin in the secondary right now due to injuries, so look for really good performances from the ones and then it'll level out and possibly suck as we get into our offensive depth.

This will also be another really good test for our line from top to bottom.

I'm pulling for either Nick Williams or Silas Redd.

Gruden coming from the Bengals is also very familiar with the Ravens defense. Should we also discount the offensive play in the 3rd game? I dont think so. We are very familiar with the other teams in the NFC East, but doesnt always help us. I think you still judge their performances equal to any other game, they still have to go out and win their battles.

Also since there really isnt much game planning in these games, any knowledge of the system is negligible.

I don't think it really matters how familiar one team is with the other. Preseason isn't for the average fan. Preseason is for the coaching staff the evaluate players. Are they making the proper reads, hitting their assignments, playing hard or just going through the motions.

I used to be in favor of cutting the preseason in half but I now realize the importance of these games to the coaching staff. They need these four games to evaluate players.

How is it unfair when we agreed to the joint practices, then thought it was a great idea afterwards and Gruden wants to keep doing it?  

Not unfair to the team, but may make assessments more difficult. It's easier to play when you know what the other guy is going to do.

Archived