Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballFocus: ReFo: Browns at Redskins, Preseason Week 2

If you stayed for the entirety of the Cleveland Browns trip to the Washington Redskins, you saw that oddest of things. A game where the quality and watchability seemed to get better as the backups got in.

Yes the first half was not one of the purest as flags rained down like a tropical monsoon and the quarterbacks made the kind of decisions that left us all smacking our heads on the table.

It was not pretty.

But there were some notable takeaways beyond a raised finger and we’re going to debut them in a new style.

Washington Redskins Performances of Note

Bashaud Breeland, CB, +4.0

Breakdown: This fourth round pick is making a case for playing time now. Made himself known with a fumble recovery but that was a tip of the iceberg as he came up quickly to make a couple of tackles for short gains on passes, dislodged a ball from Anthony Armstrong and then broke on a ball to nearly intercept Johnny Manziel. Very active.

Signature Play: 8.52 in Q3 he breaks on a fourth down pass attempt and gets his helmet on the ball to dislodge the pass and end the drive.

Kirk Cousins, QB, -2.8

Breakdown: He’s not helping his trade value is he? There are worse stat lines than 12-of-21 for 145 yards with a pick and touchdown, but it was the manner of the performance. Too many off target throws and one particularly bad throw on a scramble that Jim Leonhard should have picked off.

Signature Stat: When blitzed his grade dropped to a  -2.2.

Gabe Miller, OLB, +2.1

Breakdown: Miller hasn’t done a whole lot in his NFL career so you’d think him a longshot to latch on. Well those odds will come down if he continues to make an impression like this. A sack and three hurries saw him top the table with four QB disruptions, while he added some decent work in the run game.

Signature Play: With 19 seconds of the game left he speeds past Reid Fragel to record a pressure on Connor Shaw.

PFF Game Ball

There weren’t many shining stars in this one which made Bashaud Breeland stand out all the more.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/19/refo-browns-at-redskins-preseason-week-2/

Breeland jumped off the screen--uber talented and great instincts.  Needs to stay out of trouble, but if he does, he looks like an absolute steal.  I thought that Compton and Robinson also looked excellent.  They play downhill and with spead, which is essentially what you want from your LBs.  I also thought Amerson looked very good.  He reminds me of someone, but I can't quite place it yet.

Breeland jumped off the screen--uber talented and great instincts.  Needs to stay out of trouble, but if he does, he looks like an absolute steal.  I thought that Compton and Robinson also looked excellent.  They play downhill and with spead, which is essentially what you want from your LBs.  I also thought Amerson looked very good.  He reminds me of someone, but I can't quite place it yet.

Fred Smoot perhaps?

Bash-aud. Rambo turned up too in this one. That's two solid games for him.

Our secondary is looking good.

Listen I believe Rambo and Breeland looked good as well, but to say our secondary looked good is another thing.

There were completions on more than one occasion to be had. The Browns QBs is the reason why our secondary looked so good. A better QB would've made our starters look a lot worst than what we actually saw.

Listen I believe Rambo and Breeland looked good as well, but to say our secondary looked good is another thing.

There were completions on more than one occasion to be had. The Browns QBs is the reason why our secondary looked so good. A better QB would've made our starters look a lot worst than what we actually saw.

I disagree. We got sacks and hurries because of coverage. Even guys from the front seven gave them credit.

Bash-aud. Rambo turned up too in this one. That's two solid games for him.

Our secondary is looking good. 

Its certainly looked better than I expected thus far but its not really been tested yet. The Browns QBs were flat bad - they had open receivers and just missed easy throws and easy reads. Brady sat when we played the Pats. The best QB we have faced so far might be Pats rookie Jimmy Garoppolo - and that says more about the rest of the QBs we have played than Garoppolo.

We might get more of a test against the Ravens with Flacco (though I'm not personally a big Flacco fan). 

Agreed.

I don't know if it was bad QB play, or the musical QB routine, or what. But I saw a lot of timing problems, and a lot of just plain dropped passes by guys who were wide open.

Not saying our D stank. But they weren't as good as the stats might suggest.

Its certainly looked better than I expected thus far but its not really been tested yet. The Browns QBs were flat bad - they had open receivers and just missed easy throws and easy reads. Brady sat when we played the Pats. The best QB we have faced so far might be Pats rookie Jimmy Garoppolo - and that says more about the rest of the QBs we have played than Garoppolo.

We might get more of a test against the Ravens with Flacco (though I'm not personally a big Flacco fan).

I think Flacco will be a good test for our coverage. He's not a dink and dunk guy that beats pressure and coverage with quick throws. Flacco throws intermediate and deep. He'll challenge our coverage but it will be good test of our pressure.

Archived