Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000376536/article/kirk-cousins-outplaying-redskins-qb-robert-griffin-iii

The Shanahans might be long gone, but the Washington Redskins' bizarre quarterback drama shows no signs of abating any time soon.

After Robert Griffin III struggled in joint practices with New England last week, members of the Patriots organization opined to ESPN.com's Mike Reiss that Kirk Cousins was the best quarterback on the Redskins roster.

Reiss specifically cited Cousins' edge in "running the offense, fine-tuned mechanics and how decisively the ball came out of his hand."

Griffin attempted just four passes in the preseason opener, a 23-6 win over the Pats, but we couldn't help but wonder if the footwork issues that dogged him last season have yet to be ironed out.

As well as Cousins played versus the Patriots, though, there is no hint of controversy in Washington.

Of the 45 quarterbacks who threw at least 100 passes in 2013, Football Outsiders graded Cousins as the least effective. Other NFL teams are no longer clamoring for his services.

Griffin, on the other hand, remains the face of the franchise with a 2012 Rookie of the Year award on his mantle. He impressed Gruden with his difference-making physical gifts and mental acuity this offseason.

Just last week, Gruden told NFL Media's Albert Breer that he expects to see a mixture of RGIII magic and mistakes once the regular season begins.

"He'll do some things, I know, on game day," Gruden said. "He'll jump around, make six guys miss, throw a bomb for a touchdown, and I'm sure I'll high-five him. But if he does it again and it's a 12-yard sack-fumble, then what do you do? You gotta take the good with the bad, but we're trying to eliminate the absolute negative plays, the sack plays, and play situational football a little bit better."

There are bound to be a few bumps in the road as Griffin makes the transformation to pocket passer, but there's no reason to look over his shoulder at Cousins in the mean time.

Cousins did not even do anything in the actual game. Well not literally nothing. He was there and made a few good throws. But his impact was negligible and the most memorable plays was the gimme interception he threw up that I believe Aldrick Robinson helped knock down.

Wish I could vote "0" for this thread.

RG3 is the QB of the future. 

Chris Wessling "Around The League Writer" is someone looking for hits so he can stop doing pod-casts from his basement.

Chris Wessling is a buffoon hell bent on attacking the Redskins at every turn. Every article he writes has some cheap shot in it. Some blatant some not so blatant. The guy is an idiot.  

Morons like him will keep taking pot shots until we play games that matter and RGIII shuts them up. I know there are no guarantees. But I really feel he will bounce back this year. Maybe not to 2012 levels, but better than last year.

If you remember, there was nothing in the preseason in 2012 to suggest the kind of season he would have.   

...the Washington Redskins' bizarre quarterback drama shows no signs of abating any time soon.

As well as Cousins played versus the Patriots, though, there is no hint of controversy in Washington.

...there's no reason to look over his shoulder at Cousins in the mean time.

The last two lines completely contradict the first line....

Chris Wessling is a buffoon hell bent on attacking the Redskins at every turn. Every article he writes has some cheap shot in it. Some blatant some not so blatant. The guy is an idiot.  

Morons like him will keep taking pot shots until we play games that matter and RGIII shuts them up. I know there are no guarantees. But I really feel he will bounce back this year. Maybe not to 2012 levels, but better than last year.

If you remember, there was nothing in the preseason in 2012 to suggest the kind of season he would have.   

Great assessment.

I won't address the 'article' as I don't want to give him the hits he so desperately needs.

The thing I hate about him and the other "RG3 isn't as good as Cousins" writers is they don't even bother to come up with real facts to back up their writings.  Just a lot of mumbo-jumbo nonsense.

I love Bob, but I love winning even more.

-Any true Redskins fan.

<End2round2sanders>  I love lamp.

<Skins Fans>  End2round2sanders - do you really love lamp, or are you just looking for something to say in this thread but can't back it up with real facts.  Understand, in this thread, Lamp == statement that RG3 does not equal winning (can't even address this stupidity rationally).

<End2round2sanders> I love lamp.

I MIGHT have thought about reading into what he was saying if he could have named someone in the pats org and direct quoted what they said but anyone can do what he's doing. Watch:

"You know Brandon Weeden? There was some talk amongst the Seahawks that he's the best qb on the cowboys roster. Yep, It was heard it directly from someone in the Seahawks organization."

Until I see names attached to these so-called "quotes", I brush them off and laugh. They're a joke.

This was people from the Patriots organization that said this so not sure why the beat reporter is getting flamed. However Kirk was going against 2nd team guys. But to be honest, there are some things Kirk does better than Griffin. He does seem to have a quicker release and doesn't take as many sacks. Griffin's our guy but if he gets off to a slow start is the train suppose to stop and wait for him to get on it? He would shut all this crap up if he comes out and lights it up week one. We'll see....

This was people from the Patriots organization that said this so not sure why the beat reporter is getting flamed. However Kirk was going against 2nd team guys. But to be honest, there are some things Kirk does better than Griffin. He does seem to have a quicker release and doesn't take as many sacks. Griffin's our guy but if he gets off to a slow start is the train suppose to stop and wait for him to get on it? He would shut all this crap up if he comes out and lights it up week one. We'll see....

Lets start with he did not name any names. Second, this "beat" reporter is a k own idiot who trashes the team whenever he gets the chance. 

This is someone just wanting to increase his hits as someone else's expense. It's one of the lowest forms of life. 

RGIII is indeed the face of the franchise. As really the media needs to back off him and let him, to do his job.

We all know thats not gonna happen.

After last year's fiasco, the spotlight is on DC and the QBs on the team. Griffin is the starter until Gruden says otherwise; if Griffin starts out in the same fashion as last year, it'll get ugly, quickly. Media loves to air 'dirty laundry' and drama, and if that crap starts again, may as well fold up the tent and head home.

But I will say that Cousins has gotten alot of unfair biased opinions and remarks from pro-Griffin fans, which can be expected, but not deserving. I believe that if Cousins had gotten the amount of 1st team reps as Griffin, he'd be more polished and poised, and i'm saying that out of nothing more than pure fairness, as it would be the case the other way around.

If Griffin is the starter, i'm supporting him 100%; if Cousins is the starter, i'm supporting him 100%.  Team first, not player first.

The same Patriots organization that has invested four years into the dud that is Mallet? That also sent Cassell off to fleece teams for draft picks? They struck gold with Brady but seeing how he was a 6th round pick, they had no clue he would amount to what he is. I wouldn't put much stock into what the patriots organization thinks about QBs.

Archived