Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Jim Haslett not thrilled by referee’s suggestion that defense needs to be coached differently

bobby tripod

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/01/jim-haslett-not-thrilled-by-referees-suggestion-that-defense-needs-to-be-coached-differently/

Officials are visiting camps around the league to provide some instruction about how the rules will be applied. Referee Terry McAuley has been at Redskins camp this week and told a reporter that coaches are going to have to change the way they teach their players to play in pass coverage if they want to avoid flags, which he threw several of during the team’s practices. That suggestion didn’t sit well with Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

“You know what I would tell the official? I would tell him that he needs to worry about officiating and we’ll coach the team,” Haslett said, via CSNWashington.com. “He needs to worry about calling interference because he called about four or five yesterday where there was nothing. So tell him to worry about his job, we’ll worry about our job.”

I knew this would happen after Seattle won the SB. The league would either have to crack down on this or let every team get away with the crap Seattle was pulling. Lets see if they actually follow through and execute this consistently.

They are absurd. There is plenty of scoring, goodell can knock this crap off. RBs can't lower their head and drove into people, you can't sneeze on a QB and now you can hardly bump or touch a WR.

This has nothing to do with player safety and all about ratings with people who only watch the Superbowl.

As long as Seattle has to completely change the way their CBs play, I'm fine with it.

If anything this hurts Seattle more than any other team around. But to me it changes the game and not in a good way. The NFL is becoming a softer sport. If they played with leather helmets nobody would lead with the head and tackling fundamentals would be paramount. 

As long as Seattle has to completely change the way their CBs play, I'm fine with it.

Exactly.  It's one thing to call it and talk about it in camp practice... it's another to throw the damn flag in the regular season.

Consistently.

If anything this hurts Seattle more than any other team around. But to me it changes the game and not in a good way. The NFL is becoming a softer sport. If they played with leather helmets nobody would lead with the head and tackling fundamentals would be paramount.

I don't think their intention is to make it a softer sport, but that is what will happen.

I think they are looking more scores. They'd rather have high scoring barn-burners than defensive slugfests. They want the defenses to be more like speed bumps than road blocks. Enough to slow the offenses down, but not necessarily stop them (unless the offenses stop themselves).

I don't care for that. I want to watch the NFL. Not the Arena League.

I think in 15 years you'll see a drastically different game than what you see now.  I'm not predicting what those changes will be, but with the concerns about concussions and then rules like this coming into play, who knows what's ahead?  

Not saying it'll be better, not saying it'll be worse....it's just going to be different.  

Exactly.  It's one thing to call it and talk about it in camp practice... it's another to throw the damn flag in the regular season.

Consistently.

Seattle's defense is going to get nailed by the officials this season. Especially Sherman.

Didn't Sherman do an interview a couple of months ago, where he bragged that he and his teammates were so good at disguising and hiding the bumping and pushing they did that the officials couldn't catch them?

That is basically like throwing down a gauntlet of challenge to the refs. They will come after the Seahawks' defense this season. :)

As bad as Haslet's defense performed last year they performed way better than the league's officiating crews have done over the past few seasons. Officiating is inconsistent and poor at best. The league doesn't seem very interested in doing anything about it.

Sherm getting a PI in the bowl paid peanuts. No matter what they say, they will bury the whistle in the big show.

Attaboy Haslett, storming down from the booth and calling them out for their feeble attempts to change the game, by throwing 5 phony flags in practice.  Laughable. 

I feel like all teams should have a Baushad for the games they bury the whistle, think playoffs. Have guys ready to roll that can do it all, and counter guys like Micheal Irvin Dez Bryant all year long. 

Yes.  Now we'll actually get to see how good their DBs are, instead of just allowing them to cheat all season.  I still think they're a good group, but 3 in the pro-bowl won't happen again unless they're allowed to hold all season again.

I like Haslett's statement, I just think it could have been more aggressive.   :lol:

Consistently.

They won't call that **** on seadderall.. they're the NFL's golden children right now and sherman's big mug is plastered everywhere. They let those guys get away with mugging teams last year consistently, now it's their "brand"

I can see them enforcing it on other teams but I bet the seachickens get away with murder again this year.

I think the biggest issue is going to be consistency. The refs will have to be fair and consistent otherwise this could get real ugly real quick.

We'll get to see up close and personal how the refs handle the Seahawks when they come to town October 6th.

Not surprised they're enforcing a rule that will impact Seattle. The NFL doesn't want a repeat of this past Superbowl where the offensive juggernauts are quited and people start tuning out early in the 3rd quarter.

Sucks for those who truly appreciate the game.

As inconsistent as the officiating is and has been for quite some time, I would have rather Haz just kept this to himself. Referees are like their own separate brotherhood; they stick together. I already feel like the zebras have it out for the Skins during most games (could be my burgundy and gold glasses but i digress) but I just feel like nothing good can come of this.

With the speed at our WR spots, this could lead for a long, long MNF game vs the Seachickens at FEDEX this year. 

And I agree, PI is many times in the eyes of the beholder.....so consistency would be nice, but doubt that it will happen.  Each crew will call this differently.

They changed the rules because the NFL golden child Peyton Manning was absolutely DESTROYED by an aggressive grabby defense on national TV for the world to see.

I'm a huge peyton manning fan but it would be hilarious to see him get smashed again just to stick it to the powers that be in the NFL that want their golden child to win another ring. 

It's not so much teams or coaches needing counseling from the head of offcials, but the players. Assuming the league is really gonna crack down this time. Which, I predict they will not. 

Say a Sherm gets the reputation that he plays physical at the LOS, the official come Sunday knows about this and expects it. Reasonable expectations are normal and accepted for this to happen, and thus I think the officials let players reps get inside their own heads, unknowingly. Sherm doing that, oh that is sherm being sherm. what a character and I think they let things go, and will only call him on things that are over the top or egregious. 

The league doesn't need to go to training camps, their officials need to go back to school and learn to treat all players equally. 

I am still pissed IrvinSUCKS got away with countless offensive PIs. Same as Sherman. It became expected of him and was considered a normal play. The once a year an Art Monk would push off, they would call it every time, as you may remember. He got away with nothing. 

Archived