Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ROOKIE SPOTLIGHT: Trent Murphy

here's a thought, 4-3 defense with orakpo and kerrigan at defensive ends and trent murphy at strong side linebacker, rob jackson at weak side, and with the middle up for grabs. but even though the giants won two recent superbowls with the 4-3 defense and their wonderful defensive ends, haslett is fixated on the 3-4 defense, so leave it to him to screw things up and never find a way to get kerrigan and orakpo and murphy on the field at the same time.

I'd like to see Murphy over in the Sam spot some and shifting Kerrigan to the Will. The more options you have the easier it is to keep offenses off balance.

Kerrigan plays Will right now anyway right? Rak has been the Sam. I really think Orakpo is gone after this year but for this year, you will see rak and kerr with their hands in the ground on obvious passing downs in more of 4-3 look. They will call it a 2-5 look since they are LBs, but in reality it's a standard 4-3. We did that the last few years but they were more to set the edge than to all out pass rush, hence the low sack totals. I believe the difference is what haslett has been talking about. Let those dogs hunt!!!  

Haslett has always been a 4-3 guy. MS wanted him to go 3-4. Now we are starting to have the personal to run a better 3-4, it will be much more a hybrid. On obvious passing downs I see Rak and Kerrigan as DEs - Coefield and Hatcher as DTs. Riley will line up a Sam, Murphy at Will and Keenan Robinson at Mike. That should be one athletic group of guys!!  

Every time i see something on Murphy, all they say is he keeps getting to the QB! He is a student of the game! He is here all the time! Again, I think Rak is auditioning for other teams unless he is 15+ sack guy this year. JMO 

Well actually Sam/Will refers to how they lineup against the offensive. So the Will is your Right Side LB and the Sam usually gets the TEs side of the field but whatever you like.

Anyway, just something to look at as an option. Besides, what if Ryan went down? Nice to have another guy to pop in there, right?

Well actually Sam/Will refers to how they lineup against the offensive. So the Will is your Right Side LB and the Sam usually gets the TEs side of the field but whatever you like.

Anyway, just something to look at as an option. Besides, what if Ryan went down? Nice to have another guy to pop in there, right?

Sam = Strong Side which is typically on the left side of the Off as that's traditionally where the TE lines up. The Strong side can be the other side but for sake of consistency people consider the LB over the offensive LT the Sam. 

Will - Weak side - which is just the side without the TE but typically it is the LB that lines up outside or over the RT. 

Mike = Middle - 

Kerrigan has been on our left side of the D rushing against the RT on the Off. 

That's the way I have always know it to be. Am I missing something? 

I think we just said pretty much the same thing and you are quite correct. But because teams will line up TE's (Sam side) on either side or both sides of the field that makes it kinda confusing to switch the players designations back and forth. So some teams reference your Sam as typically the run stuffer type and plays closer to the line and the Will is the speed guy, usually lines up a bit further back, is responsible for the backside of the play and the one that the other team is expecting to blitz (the one I am used to). 

When Rak gets a TE, he might be the Sam but probably not so much to run against him as to keep him out of the backfield. That makes Ryan freed up to blitz. When Ryan gets the TE it's usually more to try and run that general direction and outrun Rak from the backside. Nobody is going to try any kind of a play to the right without an extra body on Ryan.

Like I said there are different designations by different teams. Some always call the RLB one and the LLB the other no matter what. Some call the speed guy the Will and the opposite OLB guy the Strong. 

I should not have used the Will/Sam reference because the Skins really aren't configured that way. They kinda have two Wills because whoever doesn't get an extra blocker will usually wind up in the QBs kitchen. Anyway, my original point was having a look at Kerrigan on the right side (against the LT) and Trent on the left. Trent might have a little more horsepower in getting over to the LTs area of the backfield and Ryan containing/collapsing that same side.

Archived