Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Feels Confident In Second Year

Here's thinking and discussion on keeping 4 Tight Ends, Reed, Paulsen, Paul, and Bolser. Not a conventional thing to keep 4, esp. when you need depth on def and off line. Reed and Paulsen are locks, Paul is valued for his contributions on Special Teams even though his pass catching ability hasn't been utilized. Bolser, after ota's, seemed most likely headed for Practice Squad but since training camp has turned into a monster and has been giving dbacks fits in coverage. Given Reed's propensity for concussions and the need for a really good pass catcher, they either bite the bullet and bring Bolser on the 53 or they practice squad him and activate him if/when Reed gets hurt.

Four TE's and a FB might be a real stretch. So if want four probably gotta release DY if your OK with that.

Three sounds right. Probably too early to tell but Bolser maybe has to show some blocking abilities to make it today. Depending on how STs look, maybe he replaces Paul but kind of unlikely. Really only leaves Paulsens seat and him easily being the best blocker out of the group that will be hard to part with. 

How about this as food for thought.

Keep Young and have him take over Paulsens occasional duties while keeping the other three TEs. Young - quite a bit shorter but about the same weight plus he has hands and a better blocker. Yeah, Logan had 3 TDs last year - he also had two fumbles and lost them both. Young? 4 TDS in 2013. Never had a fumble in his career. I don't think he has ever even been close to having fumble. 

Hail James -  I like your thought process. My only issue is keeping Niles Paul for any reason., OK he is really good at STs, then he is not a TE. He is a STs player. He is awful as a TE and even worse as a WR. With all the young guys we have coming in surely someone will emerge as a STs standout that can also play his position.

So my keeps are: Reed, Paulson, Bolser at TE and DY at a hybrid FB/TE. He can replace any one of those three if they go down or spell them at the very least. I like any plan that gets DY on the field more. He is a unique talent.

I know I am in the minority as everyone thinks we need Niles Paul for STs. But let me ask one question, what was our STs performance last year? Right, dead last or near it. He can't be THAT good!!!  

I blame our ST performance on Keith Burns/Shanahan and not the players. Hell, Burns is on a coaching fellowship with the Pats this year. BTW, does Fellowship sound alot like unpaid intern? If not then it should be. I have to have faith in this staff that they have been bringing in guys to make our ST's better. My 3 TE's are Reed,Paulsen, and Bolser...Paul is not even a remotely good TE. Keep Darrell Young for pass protection and leading the way for Alfred Morris.

Archived