Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage Training Camp Day 9

HapHaszard

Good morning everyone this is HapHaszard with a possible sighting of SpacemanSpiff weilding the camera.  I'm not totally sure if he is coming today but if so we will have some pictures of training camp for your pleasuire.

Today the weather is rainy, showers and storms are forcast for all day off and on. Should make for some interesting football. I'm off to find some breakfast  so stand by for a report after practice.  I will have to head out after practice to beat the friday Interstate 95 traffic.

I want to take this time to thank TK for allowing me out of the attic and letting me try something different. 

Everyone give a big hand, Spaceman Spiff is here so pictures will be an added attraction.

I"m back from morning practice stand by for my report, it may take a while since my notes got wet and smeared.

Practice Pictures

https://www.flickr.c...s/extremeskins/

Special Teams

Teams drills were mostly punt formations, Malone seems to have the longer hangtime, one I guessed at almost 5 seconds but that was using the one mississippi, two mississippi formula which isn't very accurate.  Rich Tandler did time one for me and it came out at 4.3 seconds.  My guess if he is able to do the same in a game situation he will be the punter.  Time will tell.

Tight Ends

I know that I looked at them yesterday but noticed while headed to the Dline practice that they had a table like device  about 4 foot high and they were practicing moving forward while under it.  I'm guessing this is to teach them to stay low.

Defensive Line

The D line started by doing agility drills.

They next moved on to a device where there were two pads one of which would pop out and they would have to quickly hit it with their hands and drive it back.  It looked like the pads were random in popping out.

Moving on to a new drill where from a 4 point stance they would have to come up and hit the pads 3 times very quickly.

Linebackers

The linebackers started out with a drill where they would hit one set of pads on the coaches arm then go on to the QB dummy and looked like they were swiping trying to knock the ball out.

One drill where LB's and Safetys practiced swarming to the ball.

Brian Baker worked quite a bit with Kerrigan and Orakpo on their technique, talking to them explaining exactly what they were doing wrong and having them do it over.

11-11

The yellow hankie gang were out again

2nd and 3rd team O and D were receiving a yellow flag on all passing plays, as time went on they eliminated those flags.

First 11-11 practice seem to be a lot of deep ballls, one stood out  Robinson caught a beautiful pass in stride that went at from about the Redskins 40 to the 10 yard line and hit him in stride with seperation for a TD.

On what looked to be a busted play RGIII took off up the middle, not sure if he would have been able to escape under game conditions since he is wearing the yellow jersey he wasn't touched..

A roll out deep pass to DeSean Jackson resulted in a TD but there was a flag on the play, not sure for what but could have been holding since the play took a while to develop.

Alfred Morris got a few passes his way, he made the most of them.

Trenton Robinson (s) made a very good play knocking down a RGIII pass in the flat, didn't look like he would have been able to intercept but did get a hand out to knock it to the ground.

They practiced hurry up with 1:35 on the clock and started from their own 40.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and encouragement, Its time for me to head out before Interstate 95 becomes impassable due to the normal traffic.  Its has been an honor to be here and I have learned a lot from some fantastic reporters, who don't mind sharing their expertise with a novice.

Thanks for the write up Hap!!!

I'm here in Charlotte and I tell you, I've never seen so much rain as we've had the last two summers. Pouring right now. It's like I moved to Seattle. Getting sick of rain. I want some dry sunny summer days.

Funny thing is, it's been dry here in washington for a few months lol.  Awesome weather we're having.

Special Teams

Teams drills were mostly punt formations, Malone seems to have the longer hangtime, one I guessed at almost 5 seconds but that was using the one mississippi, two mississippi formula which isn't very accurate.  Rich Tandler did time one for me and it came out at 4.3 seconds.  My guess if he is able to do the same in a game situation he will be the punter.  Time will tell.

:)

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/jarvis-jenkins-rising-challenge

So far, it looks like Jenkins has met the challenge. Given some more chances to take snaps with both Hatcher and Stephen Bowen on the PUP list, Jenkins has had a good camp.

“I think he’s done a good job,” said Gruden. “I think really he’s improved his pass rush considerably, just that I’ve seen since I’ve been here. He’s done a really good job of understanding pass rush angles and getting push in the pocket and still playing the run, so Jarvis has been doing a very good job. [Defensive Line Coach] Jacob [burney] and [Outside Linebackers] Coach  [brian] Baker, you can see the effect that they’ve had on him as far as not just playing around but getting upfield and working his hands, getting back to the quarterback and the stunts and all that good stuff. Jarvis has done well.”

Jenkins probably isn’t on the bubble as far as making the roster but there is some serious competition at defensive end. Hatcher and Baker are locks. There are probably three more roster spots and they have Jenkins, Kedric Golston, Clifton Geathers, Doug Worthington and, if healthy, Bowen fighting for them. Jenkins probably survives but he is making sure of that with a solid camp performance.

Archived