Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

46 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

I'm doing OK. But I have never called you a libtard. EVER.

And if you can, go back and read a few posts from back then, me and Sarge often got into it big time. I probably have disagreed with you at some point over something. I may have even agreed with Sarge on a specific issue (maybe. he was pretty radical if I recall) but you must be thinking of someone else.

I'm not pointing fingers or naming names but a quick glance at the first dozen or so pages of this thread should make my point about this thread.  Here we are years later and the best hope we have right now is a bunch of kids doing exactly what I said should be done. I'm not looking for apologies or a pat on the back but I will stand up for myself and say that maybe my idea wasn't so crazy after all.

Well Im halfway kidding about the libtard thing, but make no mistake you were an ultra conservative and viewed me as a lib.  Amd gave me a lot of ****.  Your screen name was well earned.

But i digress who cares about any of that ****, just glad you are doing well

1 hour ago, Mad Mike said:

Oh good. another smart ***. YAWN

1 hour ago, Mad Mike said:

Write a letter to your grandchildren and tell them that.  I'll sleep better at night knowing your grandchildren will curse your name.

Seriously, your gonna report posts on how others respond to these posts?  If you cant take it dont dish it out.

That will be the end of it, any questions or comments feel free to PM.  Or dont, would prefer that actually

3 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

I know. I follow it all.  

I said this to a scientist just the other day... These days everyone make a point of thanking military personnel for their service. Which is fine. I was doing it long before it was popular. But scientists like yourself deserve our thanks too. So thank YOU for fighting the good fight and advancing human knowledge, even if some are too corrupt or brainwashed to listen.

Meantine I'll continue to do what little I can with things like this... http://themadcentrist.com/2016/03/12/climate-change-and-the-fuel-of-denial/

BTW - love the handle. I read pretty much all of the Elric books back in HS. I bucked them up for the cool cover art and stuck around for the stories. :)

Thanks, at times it really is a thankless job sometimes. Seeing fish populations nose dive, Coral bleaching, rising CO2 and acidification of the oceans and having a real god idea how badly it's going to effect everything. And then you get idiots than couldn't pass a middle school science class telling me they know more than I do about it. On top of that, I'm a shark guy, and trying to get people to give a **** about "Jaws" is a tough sell. But if you loose your apex predators, food webs collapse.

Oh, I'm ex Army too. 31 Foxtrot (satellite systems) out of Ft. Knox. Going back to what I started 30 years ago after 20 years in IT/Networking.

22 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

And what’s up with great white shark? Going around eating everybody. He’s an asshole. You know who else is an asshole that lives in the ocean? Orca. Yeah sure, the sea world people want you to think otherwise but in reality, orca is a total dick. 

He eats 5 people a year. We eat 75 million of them. He's still a jerk. Orcas are just Giant Ninja Killer Dolphins. Jerks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zoony said:

Well Im halfway kidding about the libtard thing, but make no mistake you were an ultra conservative and viewed me as a lib.  Amd gave me a lot of ****.  Your screen name was well earned.

But i digress who cares about any of that ****, just glad you are doing well

Seriously, your gonna report posts on how others respond to these posts?  If you cant take it dont dish it out.

That will be the end of it, any questions or comments feel free to PM.  Or dont, would prefer that actually

Halfway kidding? You just claimed I called you names. I'm frankly still stunned by that. It's a false accusation. PERIOD

In fact you misrepresented me twice.I haven't considered myself a conservative since the 80s. One of the things that turned me off about republicans was the use of the word libtard. I have always said I am an independent. My record here backs me up. I may come down strongly on one side or another of any subject but it is NEVER for party reasons. You want to know the first time I got banned? I cant remember his handle at the moment, One of the founders of the site before it was bought out... he was a surgeon I believe. Anyway the subject was Israel bulldozing the homes of terrorists families. Not just the terrorist themselves. but punitive damages on their families. It was cruel, inhumane and probably created more terrorists. BLADE... That was his name.... Blade thought it was just fine and when I took the "liberal" position and disagreed he called me an ant-semite. I went off on his ***. Yeah.... pure hard core conservative. That's me. 

In this thread alone there are dozens of examples of you-know-who plugging away with smart *** comments, doing things like working the "rules" by sarcastically a calling me a "genius" to suggest i'm stupid in an underhanded way. Flinging **** against the wall for no other reason than to crap all over a serious discussion. THAT is disrespectful too. But he second I say anything back, I'm the bad guy.

And we're back to my screen name.... Really? Enjoy the low hanging fruit.

Color me disappointed 

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile

A judge in Washington state on Tuesday dismissed a climate change lawsuit filed against the state by a group of child activists.

King County Superior Court Judge Michael Scott ruled in favor of the State of Washington’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit, Aji P. v. State of Washington. The 13 young activists in the suit argue that the state is violating their constitutional rights through actions that cause climate change.

Judge Scott ruled that issues brought up in the case are political questions that cannot be resolved by a court, and must be addressed by Congress and the president.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/washington-judge-throws-out-childrens-climate-change-lawsuit

I've said here for a long time, we'll pay the cost either way.  It'll either through adaption to reducing fossil fuel use or the cost through adaption to a changing climate.

I suspect an ounce of prevention would have been better than the pound of cure that is coming.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twa said:

Let Em Drown, freeze a Yankee.

It isn't like much of the oil is actually starting or ending in Houston.

Refineries can be built essentially any where.  Building refineries somewhere else long term would almost certainly be cheaper than the up keep of walls and systems to keep increasing sea levels out (and let's be realistic, humans are not very good at constantly paying for and keeping something up kept that gets used every 50 years or (see the New Orleans water related infrastructure with respect to Katrina.). so the general idea is almost certainly going to lead to absymal failure longer term.  There's no way we're going to actually do a good job of building and keeping up infrastructure needed to protect against the new 50 year flood.). 

Unless you are a private company that isn't really worried about total cost, but your own private bottom line and can get the US tax payer to pay the cost of building and up keep of the infrastructure.

I'm sure some communities in WV and KY would be happy to see pipeline run to them and refineries built.  I'd happily pay tax dollars to see a US government run refinery built in WV or KY, not pay the money to protect the oil company refineries in Houston, and watch the oil companies freak out.

Edited by PeterMP

24 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm sure some communities in WV and KY would be happy to see pipeline run to them and refineries built.  I'd happily pay tax dollars to see a US government run refinery built in WV or KY, not pay the money to protect the oil company refineries in Houston, and watch the oil companies freak out.

I'd suggest ya get started  :kickcan: probably better do more than one.

Just now, PeterMP said:

All you'd need is to even start 1, and then the oil companies would kick in and do something.  You wouldn't even have to finish it.

do something?

you mean besides laugh?

This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased since the Industrial Revolution. (Credit: Vostok ice core data/J.R. Petit et al.; NOAA Mauna Loa CO2 record.)

This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct  measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased  since the Industrial Revolution.  (Source: [[LINK||http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/icecore/||NOAA]])

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's interesting...I wonder what caused the peaks and valleys previously...

Climate over very long periods of time (centuries) is controlled by the way the Earth orbits the sun called Milankovitch Cycles.  We don't orbit in a completely repeatable year-to-year pattern given the tilt of the Earth.  As such over very long periods of times that affects global temperatures, which affect glaciation and the ability of the oceans to dissolve CO2 (CO2 solubility is related to temperature) so what we see is changes in CO2 due to changes in longer term orbital patterns.  The  Milankovitch Cycles are the underlying driver of most other climate changes, but they aren't really the primary driver.  They cause small changes that then affect things like CO2 level, which amplify the changes caused by Milankovitch Cycles other changes (which than affect other things (e.g. water vapor levels) which then amplify the effect of the Milankovitch Cycles and CO2.).

Which is why you then see graphs like:

Image result for CO2 temperature paleoclimate

The initial temperature change is driven by Milankovitch Cycles, which drives changes in CO2, which then drives other changes (e.g. water vapor changes), which then drive other temperature changes.

(And things like solar output, volcanoes, and cosmic rays have affects too so not every cycle is really a duplicate of the other.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Climate over very long periods of time (centuries) is controlled by the way the Earth orbits the sun called Milankovitch Cycles.  We don't orbit in a completely repeatable year-to-year pattern given the tilt of the Earth.  As such over very long periods of times that affects global temperatures, which affect glaciation and the ability of the oceans to dissolve CO2 (CO2 solubility is related to temperature) so what we see is changes in CO2 due to changes in longer term orbital patterns.  The  Milankovitch Cycles are the underlying driver of most other climate changes, but they aren't really the primary driver.  They cause small changes that then affect things like CO2 level, which amplify the changes caused by Milankovitch Cycles other changes (which than affect other things (e.g. water vapor levels) which then amplify the effect of the Milankovitch Cycles and CO2.).

Which is why you then see graphs like:

The initial temperature change is driven by Milankovitch Cycles, which drives changes in CO2, which then drives other changes (e.g. water vapor changes), which then drive other temperature changes.

(And things like solar output, volcanoes, and cosmic rays have affects too so not every cycle is really a duplicate of the other.)

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...