Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we play Tampa Bay every year?

BurgundyandGold44

I've searched all over, but I can't find an answer. It seems we play them in the preseason and the regular season annually.

Well, you play every other conference on an annual rotation, so we play the NFC South every 3 years.  Your schedule consists of the following opponents:  Each team in your division twice a year (6 games), conference division on 3 year rotation (4 games), AFC division on a 4 year rotation (4 games), then the final two games are against the conference teams in the two divisions that your are not playing (from the rotation) with the same rank in their division as you.

So this year, we play Dallas, Philly, Giants (twice each - home/away), then we play the NFC West (Seattle, AZ, SanFran, STL), the AFC South (Texans, Colts, Titans, Jags), then the other two NFC teams outside of the NFC West with the same record as ours from the previous season which is Tampa Bay - (NFC South) and Vikings (NFC North).

In 2015 we will play the following teams:

NFC East - Dallas, Giants Philly ( 6 games - home/away)

NFC South - Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Tampa Bay

AFC East - Pats, Jets, Bills, Dolphins

NFC West - same place finisher

NFC North - same place finisher

Rinse and repeat :)

Edit - so to answer your question, we keep playing them because of rotation playing each division in the conference and finishing with the same record in the off years.  Outside of the conference division rotation games, the other two years are simply random based on where we both finish in our respective divisions. 

Well, you play every other conference on an annual rotation, so we play the NFC South every 3 years.  Your schedule consists of the following opponents:  Each team in your division twice a year (6 games), conference division on 3 year rotation (4 games), AFC division on a 4 year rotation (4 games), then the final two games are against the conference teams in the two divisions that your are not playing (from the rotation) with the same rank in their division as you.

So this year, we play Dallas, Philly, Giants (twice each - home/away), then we play the NFC West (Seattle, AZ, SanFran, STL), the AFC South (Texans, Colts, Titans, Jags), then the other two NFC teams outside of the NFC West with the same record as ours from the previous season which is Tampa Bay - (NFC South) and Vikings (NFC North).

Edit - so to answer your question, we keep playing them because of rotation playing each division in the conference and finishing with the same record in the off years.  Outside of the conference division rotation games, the other two years are simply random based on where we both finish in our respective divisions. 

Hitting the new guy with knowledge. I like it bro!!

I've loved this sport and paid close attention to it for 6 years, and I never knew this.

mind-blown1.gif

Just by pure fact of scheduling  the regular season, we are going to face a given non-East NFC team once every 3 years.  The other years, there is a significant probability that we will face that given team.  Now given that since the current scheduling methodology has been in place, we've both sucked, there is even a greater probability.  In the preseason, as a non-East NFC team, there would also be a significant probability we'd face them then.

...  Now given that since the current scheduling methodology has been in place, we've both sucked, there is even a greater probability. . . . we'd face them then.

This is the kicker.  In the year prior to those that the Skins don't play the NFC South -- both teams have been bottom dwellers, thus creating matchups in the following season.

Notice last year the teams didn't play each other, because it was NFCE vs NFCN and also in 2012, Washington took the division, while TB finished 4th in the NFC South.

This is the kicker.  In the year prior to those that the Skins don't play the NFC South -- both teams have been bottom dwellers, thus creating matchups in the following season.

Notice last year the teams didn't play each other, because it was NFCE vs NFCN and also in 2012, Washington took the division, while TB finished 4th in the NFC South.

Since this scheduling system has been in place, I think we've played the loser games every time except 2006, 2008 and 2013.

There you have it. Washington, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis will play each other for infinity.

Yep, several guys in here were spot on. We play these teams almost every year because we all suck. It's especially frustrating when we lose to these teams (which we frequently tend to do, even in good years) because everyone knows it's a battle for which team sucks less and when we lose it's more humiliating because even though we've been one of the more frequent bottom feeders for quite some time we all like to at least think we're the best of the ****tier teams. 

This is why when we lose because Josh Morgan throws a helmet at Cortland Finnemcdouchebag or Pete Kendall tries to scoop and score on a fumble we all pick up our TV's throw it out the window, drive to Walmart to buy ammo and go blow **** up. Losing to these teams almost hurts worse than a divisional game at times because anything goes in a division game but when you lose to Christian Ponder/Joe Webb or Bruce Gradkowski it makes you want to slam your nuts in a door. Sorry to be a little graphic but I get a little worked up - I think losing to the Vikings last year was one of the most frustrating losses I've endured in a while, I thought I was going to get kicked out of Buffalo Wild Wings. 

Yep, several guys in here were spot on. We play these teams almost every year because we all suck. It's especially frustrating when we lose to these teams (which we frequently tend to do, even in good years) because everyone knows it's a battle for which team sucks less and when we lose it's more humiliating because even though we've been one of the more frequent bottom feeders for quite some time we all like to at least think we're the best of the ****tier teams. 

This is why when we lose because Josh Morgan throws a helmet at Cortland Finnemcdouchebag or Pete Kendall tries to scoop and score on a fumble we all pick up our TV's throw it out the window, drive to Walmart to buy ammo and go blow **** up. Losing to these teams almost hurts worse than a divisional game at times because anything goes in a division game but when you lose to Christian Ponder/Joe Webb or Bruce Gradkowski it makes you want to slam your nuts in a door. Sorry to be a little graphic but I get a little worked up - I think losing to the Vikings last year was one of the most frustrating losses I've endured in a while, I thought I was going to get kicked out of Buffalo Wild Wings. 

110% spot on.

That Minny game last season nearly was the last straw for me.

Archived