Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DAN POMPEI, SportsonEarth.com:ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS, (a look at our present offensive heritage)

SWFLSkins

Great article and it explains some of the wheres, whats and whys of our offensive staffs thinking....

RICHMOND, Va. -- Robert Griffin III looks right. He looks left. Waits. Looks right again. The pocket closes and he takes off, easily outrunning any of his defensive teammates who are in pursuit. Then, as a defender from the backfield draws an angle on Griffin, he slides. The fans at the Bon Secours Training Center roar in approval. "Thank you Gruden! Way to go! Thank you."

Beyond the slide, there are many reasons to believe the Redskins have the right men in place to to maximize Griffin's uncommon ability in his third NFL season. Head coach Jay Gruden and offensive coordinator Sean McVay are members of families that have been entrenched in the game for decades. They are cultivating the Redskins' most precious resource with quarterbacking theories that have been passed down through generations. 

The fundamentals Griffin is being drilled on are the same fundamentals once mastered by Joe Montana, Steve Young, Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. The philosophies he is being schooled on were learned long ago by Joe Namath, Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar. Some of the offensive concepts Griffin is learning can be taught with tape of Brett Favre and John Elway.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/86625266/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-builds-on-generations-of-experience#!bpY5CR

I didn't realize that our new OC had that much of a background and connection with pro football. That info has put my mind at ease as to his perceived lack of experience. I also like that Gruden is steeped in football. I don't think we are really getting much "rookie" with our rookie HC.

When Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator of the Bengals, he encouraged quarterbacks coach Kenny Zampese to work with Andy Dalton on mechanics, and Gruden tried to make sure drops matched up with routes. He is taking a similar approach with the Redskins.

This has me excited.  There's been a lot of articles (one that I can remember was from the WaPo written by Bullock), about how RG3's drops and mechanics in the pocket weren't quite in sync with when receivers were supposed to be open in their routes.

Part of that, apparently, is the Shanny's fault.  They decided to add in some poor mechanics in order to get RG3 onto the field sooner.  That was Mike Shanahan's fault.

So if RG3 can get his feet/shoulders pointed in the right direction at the right times.  We can see him become the pocket passer we hope he can be.

Archived