Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Defense Still Working Out Its Identity

MustangSteve

Ryan Clarkicon-article-link.gif has been a key member of some pretty darn good defenses.

Over the last 10 seasons as a member of the Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers, the safety’s teams have had an average finish of fourth in the league in total defense, finishing in the top five seven times and finishing first in the league four of those years.

Clark, 34, re-signed with the Redskins this offseason to help improve Washington’s defense, which, he said, is still figuring out its identity a few days into training camp.

“That’s what we’re working on now,” Clark said this week. “We can’t take days off. You can’t say you need a break, because right now we have to build that chemistry, build that camaraderie until we know what kind of defense we are.”

Clark knows how important that chemistry can be to playing solid, aggressive defense.

From 2004 to 2005, Clark and Sean Taylor formed one of the hardest-hitting safety duos in the league for the Redskins, who finished third and ninth, respectively, in total yards allowed.

Clark signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 2006 season, combining with another talented safety in Troy Polamalu to turn Pittsburgh into one of the best defenses in the league year in and year out. From 2006 to 2012, the Steelers finished in ninth, first, first, fifth, second, first and first in total yards allowed.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins%E2%80%99-Defense-Still-Working-Out-Its-Identity/20c7a791-c092-4fba-a5b6-3eb74d74956c

Some will disagree with me but I like what we have going on with this Defense. I feel we have the players to be better then a below average Defense like we have been since the arrival of Haz. I'm not going to bash him in this thread because I have already stated how I feel about him. But I know the players on this Defense are better players then on many other Defenses in this league, and if Hazlett can produce just a good and average defense out of these guys, the Redskins will be a pretty good football team. Give us a top 10 Defense and we are a SuperBowl contender for damn sure. Just do it Hazlett, prove me wrong please, I will eat my crow with A1 sauce while singing Hail to the soon to be SuperBowl Champion Redskins!

...if Hazlett can produce just a good and average defense out of these guys, the Redskins will be a pretty good football team.

I am squarely on the fence as to whether it's truly Haz's fault or if it's a function of the cap penalties, or the dreaded "combination of both".

I don't think we have a ton of talent on defense, but there are some decent pieces to start/work with.

Sometimes I think, "Jeez, any other D-Coordinator would have a field day with that talent (Kerrigan/Orakpo....and....umm......yeah)..."

Then I of course immediately think, "The team needs more players, more talent at more positions" -- which fosters the salary cap justification(s) in my own mind, and so on and so forth.

The offense can be as smooth as silk, but if the defense isn't up to snuff -- a playoff loss might be the pinnacle.

Here's to hoping Haz can put it all together once and for all !!! :blink:

With the addition of Hatch and Clark, this D can be completely different in respect to last year. Keenan Robinson and Amerson will have an impact. I am still on the fence in regard to the Coach, but still, it should be more than improved. (shouldn't be difficult)

I'm not buying into the whole "We are forgetting about containment and getting after the QB" because we didn't contain at all last year. 

But I think the addition of Hatcher will create more 1 on 1 opportunities for Orakpo and Kerrigan and more pressure will be generated. 

Plus we have two competent, hard-hitting safeties. They may not set the world on fire, but it's probably the best we've had in a few years. 

I'm not buying into the whole "We are forgetting about containment and getting after the QB" because we didn't contain at all last year. 

But I think the addition of Hatcher will create more 1 on 1 opportunities for Orakpo and Kerrigan and more pressure will be generated. 

Plus we have two competent, hard-hitting safeties. They may not set the world on fire, but it's probably the best we've had in a few years. 

I like (Brandon) Merriweather Lewis & William (Ryan) Clark in the secondary -- I seriously doubt Merriweather makes it through an entire season without injury/suspension or both -- it is what it is.  Ryan Clark is past his prime -- but cut from the same cloth as Sean Taylor.  It will be interesting to see what he brings to the team in leadership, knowledge, and spirit of the game. 

I have little to no faith in Hatcher to consistently contribute to this team until I see it happening in games that count.  Injury and age are concerning, ability is not.  If all of the pieces fall into place, something magical could happen, but it will take some early success for the players to buy in completely -- whether or not that happens is an entirely different discussion...

The holes in our defense last year were obvious. Right up the middle. Clark, Robinson and hatcher. Solved.

Clark resigning with us just feels like a turning of the ride. We're back.

I totally agree, we filled some very weak holes with some quality players who can change not only a game, but the season. 

We've seen the results the last 4 years people.  Expect to be in the 20's with defensive rankings when its said and done, bottomline haslett cant coach for his life

This up here^ 

It would be different if Haslett came here and inherited a piss poor defense, but it was the total opposite. He took over a Defense that was a top 10 just a few years prior, and turned it into the worst in the NFL immediately. Although they could have used a better pass rush, they could at least hold their own in a game and that is for damn sure, we had a decent defense. 3 years later and they didn't get any better. They were on a roll to break all time records for worst Defense ever just last season, historically bad is what we were called.

4 years later he is still in charge and I am still pulling for him to finally show us something, show us why Dan Snyder keeps you on the payroll. This is your moment Jim Haslett, there are no more excuses, no Mike Shanahan to undermind you and nobody to get in the way. Coach like you never coached in your life! Go after the damn QB and lay him out more often then a 5 dollar crack ho, Be aggressive, catch a bad attitude toward every team on our schedule, and let it rub off on your players. Coach every game like it's your last, and this team will still be playing football come late January and hopefully February.

Hail yea It's football season my Redskins brotha's and sista's!!!  Can I get a Hail to the Redskins!!!

I think we are improving. I hope we are! I am really liking what I see about Trent Murphy...my new man crush. It seems to me that he is showing up and working hard. Knows on day 1 that he has to earn a slot. Hard working blue collar with an attitude. Likes to hit, but is smart enough to learn quickly. I know people had mixed feelings at getting him in the draft where we did, but I think it is a good pick that is going to pay off for us!

Five days into Washington Redskins training camp, here’s what coaches and teammates find so impressive about Trent Murphy, the team’s 6-foot-5, 258-pound rookie outside linebacker:

• He reports to practice early.

• He has the playbook nearly committed to memory.

• He’s quick for a big man, and a quick study on matters of technique.

• He’s versatile enough to be used multiple ways, blessed with smarts, nimble feet and a long reach.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/380372-wp-gritty-trent-murphy-aims-to-carve-out-a-role-among-redskins%E2%80%99-outside-linebackers/

Our defense identity just needs to be "attack the QB, force turnovers". This offseason awarded us with some improvements in our defense, but not exactly what everybody wanted. Hatcher will be the biggest key to our defense. First of all he needs to stay healthy and second he needs to play to the level (or close to it) that he did last year. If he does this he will force Left Tackles to focus all on him which will leave a Tight End, Fullback, or running back to block Orakpo. Say what you want about Orakpo, but there's no way most position players will be able to block him.

Let's hope that Haz was being limited to what he could/couldn't do the past few years from Shanahan. Once again we will have to try to trust Haslett. He needs to attack, attack, attack. Our secondary should improve, only because there's not much we can do to make it worse, but it's still going to be suspect. If our D lets opposing QB's hold on to the ball too long, then we will get torched in the air. I would be surprised if Meriwhether plays more than 12 games and Clark isn't getting any younger. Let's hope Philip Thomas can fill in fast and Amerson shines this year.

We've seen the results the last 4 years people.  Expect to be in the 20's with defensive rankings when its said and done, bottomline haslett cant coach for his life

I know this kind of drive-by statement has been in vogue for the last 4 years and I understand the sentiment.  This is what happens when you spend more down time than up. To be fair, I wanted a clean break from Has at the end of the year but it didn't happen and we have to deal with it.

Problem is, in the full light of day and after all we have gone through, I have a hard time believing he's really that bad.  I know he doen't have an all-pro resume and sparkly numbers but he - and his talents, such as they are - has fought his way to the top of a very, very tough and exclusive profession.  As DC of an NFL team, he's achieved apex predator status in a vast pool of coaching talent.  I can't help but think that stands for something.

It's not like he was born son of the owner or nurtured by some good 'ol boys network, rife with secret hand-shakes and back room meetings on the level.  By all accounts he has risen through the ranks by showing up, logging on and grinding it out.  And at the end, by getting noticed and presumably not sucking!

I don't much care about his history pre-skins and what kind of talent he had to work with, but it's been tough sledding here in DC from day-1. The conversion,... the cap penalty,... the Shanahan's,... et all.  And all the while defensive talent has been thin on the ground.  No one here would think it's been easy, I'm sure of that.

Bottom line is we need to catch some breaks.  We need to remain reasonably healthy and get lucky with some of the young defensive (and offensive) talent now swelling the ranks.  For Has, full autonomy over the defensive game calling is going to make this an interesting year. 

Questions all around on defense. Could be great & very easily could be terrible. Hatcher could very easily be a bust FA pick-up; he is old & never performed in the 3-4 to be paid what he is getting. Our secondary depends on 2nd year player & two questionable safety. Clark is pretty old & could be too slow; BM is a hit away from a lengthy suspension. ILB is also a concern. Someone will need to step up.

Think our OLB are going to be great, but still disappointed that they drafted a kicker instead of using it on Shayne Skov. Skov has the potential to be a decent player; @ least a quality backup.

Questions all around on defense. Could be great & very easily could be terrible. Hatcher could very easily be a bust FA pick-up; he is old & never performed in the 3-4 to be paid what he is getting. Our secondary depends on 2nd year player & two questionable safety. Clark is pretty old & could be too slow; BM is a hit away from a lengthy suspension. ILB is also a concern. Someone will need to step up.

Think our OLB are going to be great, but still disappointed that they drafted a kicker instead of using it on Shayne Skov. Skov has the potential to be a decent player; @ least a quality backup.

Well said. Clark is getting pretty old but it's hard to imagine him being worse than what we had last year. History shows BM will probably either get suspended a few games or hurt. I'm really hoping Keenan Robinson steps up and fills the void Fletcher left. I agree with you that we wasted our 7th round pick as we could've just signed Hocker as an UDFA. Skov could end up being a decent player if he can stay healthy.

Hatcher has just another FA bust written all over. Overachiever on the league's worst defense in his contract year in a different system after years of mediocrity in a 3-4.

I love Ryan Clark, but the decline in DBs tends to be more rapid than any position other than RB (anyone remember Chris Dishman going from great in 97 to major suckage in 98?) Meriweather is also a year older, and I'm not sure we have an answer at the other ILB spot. And Haz still sux!

I still think the defense is going to struggle but they will be better.  Clark and Merriweather will at least hit someone, but neither can run with any NFL WR. Where I'm looking for improvements is Robinson coming in for old, slow as turtle Fletcher. I think Amerson gets better, I think Jarvis Jenkins will bounce back and I think Hatcher, if he can stay healthy,  will add a pass rush push.

If the defense tightened up on tackling instead of the Benny Hill romp around, then they will be that much better.

But then we have a defensive coordinator that keeps his base defense out with 3 man sets on the field???

Most of the Circus has left, but we still have a few stragglers hanging around.

This up here^ 

It would be different if Haslett came here and inherited a piss poor defense, but it was the total opposite. He took over a Defense that was a top 10 just a few years prior, and turned it into the worst in the NFL immediately. Although they could have used a better pass rush, they could at least hold their own in a game and that is for damn sure, we had a decent defense. 3 years later and they didn't get any better. They were on a roll to break all time records for worst Defense ever just last season, historically bad is what we were called.

Well, one of the big reasons why we were worse was because of the switch to the 3-4.  That lead to needing to spend resources there instead of the secondary, which declined because we replaced solid players with worse players.  FS was a need when Shanahan got here, and IMO it is still a need.  Clark fills a much needed leadership role but at this point in his career he's a stopgap until we finally find a guy.

While we can criticize Haz for not making the most of what he has had, let's be honest and say that what he's had to play with talent-wise just hasn't been that great. Before this year, he's had one draft pick who has made any sort of impact.  The players we have signed in the past have been a mixed bag.  I don't think the talent issue has been remotely solved as of yet, but it does seem to be better and we have some young guys who might actually earn their jobs.

The jury is still out, and Haz has a lot to prove.

I don't think we have ever been top 10 under Haslett, but then I see teams such as the Packers or Eagles have first year success in the 34 and still hear 'we still don't have the right players yet' makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

Thank God for a Bud Light Lime being just an arm reach away.

I don't think we have ever been top 10 under Haslett, but then I see teams such as the Packers or Eagles have first year success in the 34 and still hear 'we still don't have the right players yet' makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

Thank God for a Bud Light Lime being just an arm reach away.

Reread what I said above about the secondary.  We've done a poor job getting players.  I never said that we don't have the right players for the 3-4.

Sorry, but I think a Bud Light Lime would make me vomit a little in my mouth.

The packers d was awful for a couple years when they switched.

If you're thanking god for a bud light lime, something is seriously wrong.

Actually the Packers were top 10 when they switched off.

Reread what I said above about the secondary.  We've done a poor job getting players.  I never said that we don't have the right players for the 3-4.

Sorry, but I think a Bud Light Lime would make me vomit a little in my mouth.

My point was aimed more toward coaching.

All the sudden Haslett gets here and teams are checking off a win because the defense is poorly coached, unmotivated and the scheme is predictable

I'm not quite sure what their identity will be this year, but last year's identity was a stone drunk frat party girl; easy pickins.

Clark may be more of a mental help than anything; i'm not sold on him having much of an impact, but if he can mentor players and teach them the little things to look for, hec anything would help. Leadership is missing in that area, now its a matter of getting thats stand-out player who has the tools to make a difference.

Archived