Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ealey-dialed-in-on-first-official--30072888

Ealey Dialed In On First Official

Amir Ealey has a very good idea of where he wants his first official visit to be this fall. "I know for sure my first one is going to be Maryland," Ealey told 247Sports.com on Monday. "I don't know the date yet but that's who I want to be my first." The Coatesville (PA) Area standout is ranked as the nation's No. 31 tight end and the No. 20 overall prospect in Pennsylvania by 247Sports.com. The three-star prospect has 12 offers with high interest in Maryland, West Virginia, Syracuse and Virginia.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I find it great that alot of the BIG experts at least give MD a fair chance to be a middle of the road team.  They are saying we win anywhere between 3-5 conference games, which is fair. 

But I find it hilarious to see a lot of the fans of other teams in the BIG saying we don't have a snowballs chance in hell and that we'll be 1-7 or 2-8 in the conference.  MD has a lot of talent. While we've never been one of the elite teams in the ACC, we haven't been the worst. For as poor as our record has been under Edsall, he has actually recruited VERY well.  We were all mad at the beginning, but he's assembled a great staff for recruiting and that is the name of the game.  That's how he brought UConn from the dead to a BCS game.

Now, I'm not saying that MD will win the BIG or be one of the elite teams.  But I certainly think they can compete.  We know we have some deficiencies on the lines (that will play a big part), but we have some talent on the team.  Here is my assessment of how the schedule will go. I'll try not to be too homerish:

James Madison- (W)  We will be favored and should win the game at home. 38-10

South Florida- (W) This will be a tough game on the road.  MD will win a close one. Closer than we thought. 31-23.

West Virginia- (W) We will be at home. WVA is in transition.  This won't be a route like last year.  Another close one, like 27-20.

Syracuse- (W/L) We probably played our worst game against them last year (Aside from the FL St. route).  This could be a tossup game we lose playing at the Carrier Dome. Close defensive battle.20-17.

Indiana (W) Hoosiers have a good team, but I think we have too much talent at the skill position. 30-20.

Ohio State (L) The one team in the BIG that MD will get beat down.  Too much talent until we get our 2015 class in.  41-24.

Iowa  (W) I think this will be our one "upset" game of the year.  Both teams are very similar.  30-28. Craddock wins one for us.

Wisconsin (L) Hard road game.  Weather getting cooler.  Camp Randle crazies.  Too much for the Terps. 34-23.

Penn State (W/L) This may be a good chance for us to get the W.  Happy Valley is a "TOUGH" place to play, but PSU is still in a "down" mode and just changed coaches.  We know Franklin as well as he knows us. This, like the Syrcuse game could be a loss. Hackenburg is the real deal but we squeak by 24-20.

Michigan St, (L) Like Ohio State, MSU just has too much, but I think the game will not be a route.  30-21.

Michigan (L) Going to the Big House will be a little intimidating.  But tell Appalachian State that.  Michigan hasn't been among the elite in a few years.  While still a good team, they can be beat.  Not this year though.  Wolverines prevail 35-27.

Rutgers (W) At home.  Rutgers has been on the way down since Schiano.  MD gets the W and a bowl trip, 37-24.

So, there you have it.  I'm thinking this:  Depending on the Syracuse and Penn State games, I predict MD to be anywhere between 3-5 or 4-4 in the BIG and finish anywhere between 7-5 and 8-4 overall.

I think people are underestimating us.  We've had more injuries the last 2 years then some team have in 5 years. I think the team stays relatively healthy and has a good season.  I think we finish 4th or 5th in the East depending on the PSU game.

Edited by pjfootballer

I'd be happy with 7-5, all things considered.  I think realistically it's 6-6 or 5-7.  Between WVU, Indiana, and Rutgers, I suspect at least one will be a loss.  And realistically I don't expect the Iowa game to be a win either.

I'd be happy with 7-5, all things considered.  I think realistically it's 6-6 or 5-7.  Between WVU, Indiana, and Rutgers, I suspect at least one will be a loss.  And realistically I don't expect the Iowa game to be a win either.

So, there you have it.  I'm thinking this:  Depending on the Syracuse and Penn State games, I predict MD to be anywhere between 3-5 or 4-4 in the BIG and finish anywhere between 7-5 and 8-4 overall.

I think people are underestimating us.  We've had more injuries the last 2 years then some team have in 5 years. I think the team stays relatively healthy and has a good season.  I think we finish 4th or 5th in the East depending on the PSU game.

Yep. That's my prediction as well.

Both Randy Edsall and CJ Brown acknowledged the TE job may be the closest. Watch out for freshman Derrick Hayward in that race. #Terps

http://btn.com/2014/08/05/countdown-to-kickoff-east-suprise-team/

Countdown to kickoff: East suprise team?

Kickoff is fast approaching. To help count down the days to Aug. 28, the BTN.com team is discussing one topic every day. Think of it as our countdown to kickoff. Today’s topic: East surprise team?

Tom Dienhart: Maryland. Maryland. Don’t sleep on this Big Ten newcomer. The Terps have the makings of one of the Big Ten’s better offenses; and the defense features nine starters back. Could this be the third-best team in the East? We’ll see. One thing’s for sure: The schedule makers did Maryland no favors in its Big Ten debut

Sean Merriman: Maryland. When looking at the Big Ten East, many people are quick to point out that Maryland and Rutgers will have a tough time winning games. Yes, there will be an adjustment period and the schedules are tough, no doubt. But from a talent standpoint, the Terps are loaded. Teams are going to have their hands full trying to stop this high-flying offense, led by five receivers who totaled 30-plus catches for 450-plus yards in 2013. Don’t be surprised to see Maryland average 30-plus points and card several “surprise” wins this season.

4-star WR Auden Tate (@itstate_18) just committed to FSU. Visited for Big Show & had #Terps in final 7. In the end, rich get richer

4-Star WR Auden Tate says that it really came down to #FSU and #Maryland. Mike Locksley doing a good job in the Tampa area.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/agreement_08-08-14_lryjmo

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE AND UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND REACH LEGAL AGREEMENT

Friday August 8, 2014

Lawsuits filed in the State of North Carolina and Maryland are dismissed

GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Atlantic Coast Conference and the University of Maryland announced today they have reached a mediated agreement that ends all litigation between both parties.

Maryland has agreed that the ACC will keep the sum of $31,361,788 previously withheld in order to resolve the lawsuits, and the ACC has agreed that Maryland will have no obligation to make any other payments to the ACC. In addition, the lawsuits filed in the State of North Carolina and Maryland will be dismissed.

Maryland Basketball @TerrapinHoops · Legendary. Congrats to Gary Williams on his induction into the Naismith Hall of Fame!

Gary was such a great coach. Living in NC the past 15 years, I've had to listen to all the fans who hate Gary. They mostly hate him because he TORMENTED them. None of them thing Gary should be in the Hall of Fame. But the coaches who have coached against him know that is where he belongs.

• Like 1

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/08/11/prized-freshmen-derwin-gray-and-damian-prince-exceeding-expectations/

Prized freshmen Derwin Gray and Damian Prince exceeding expectations

Freshmen offensive tackles Derwin Gray and Damian Prince sat about 20 feet away from each other during Maryland football’s media day on Monday, and both were swarmed with questions about hype and the transition from high school to the college game.

It’s only been one week, and yet both Prince and Gray didn’t look out of place among the team’s veterans, both hulking in their red team polo shirts and deferring questions about whether they could win a starting role on the team right now.

“I can only do my job….I leave that up to the coaches, they make the final decision,” said Gray, who is competing with junior Ryan Doyle at right tackle.

Both were highly touted blue chip prospects coming out of high school, and although both are listed as true freshmen, Gray is a year ahead after attending Fork Union Military Academy last year. He had not been able to qualify academically to attend Maryland after graduating from the District’s Friendship Collegiate Academy in 2013 but remained loyal to Randy Edsall last summer, vowing to go to a regional prep school to mature both in the classroom and on the field.

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2014/08/10/naseir-upshur-remains-humble/

Naseir Upshur Remains Humble Despite Exposure

Imhotep Institute (PA) tight end Naseir Upshur has received a tremendous amount of exposure over the last few months, and every school in the nation seems to be taking notice.

However, Upshur isn’t letting the attention he’s received later his process.

“It’s good, but I just want to stay humble and keep working,” Upshur told TerrapinStationMD.

Maryland, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida State, and Auburn have been coming at Upshur the hardest recently. He also has offers from Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and hometown school Temple in addition to several others.

Despite these schools being some of the top programs in the country, the Terrapins do have something that no one else has.

Imhotep wideout and Maryland 2015 commit D.J. Moore is close friends with Upshur, and is a connection that can’t be ignored. Moore has been in Upshur’s ear about potentially committing to the Terps.

“He’s kind of hard on me right now. He’s just saying ‘let’s go to Maryland.’ When he committed, I was very excited because he’s one of my closest friends on the team. So I’m going to take that into consideration.”

I’m hearing #UF or #FSU is the likely destination for Byron Cowart. If I had to pick a darkhorse it would be Maryland

Josh Newberg

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/12/5996665/damian-prince-maryland-position-depth-chart

Five-star Maryland freshman Damian Prince moves from tackle to guard

In an expected move, Maryland head coach Randy Edsall has announced five-star true freshman Damian Prince will shift from offensive tackle inside to offensive guard, presumably entering the competition for the starting left guard spot. Edsall announced the news before practice Tuesday.

Evan Mulrooney and Silvano Altamirano had been battling for the starting left guard spot, but Mulrooney only recently left the hospital after a viral infection. Add in Sean Christie's ACL injury, and the move of Prince is an obvious one for depth reasons. Michael Dunn has locked down the starting left tackle spot, Edsall said Jake Wheeler is playing his best ball as a Terp, and Ryan Doyle and Derwin Gray are in a fierce battle at right tackle.

Prince unquestionably has the talent to succeed, and a move to guard gives him the best chance to claim a starting job. That leaves two jobs up in the air on the offensive line -- left guard and right tackle -- both featuring a talented but raw freshman going up against a lightly-recruited veteran with significant experience.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/long-we-have-ability-be-best-wr-corpsin-nation

Long: 'We have ability to be the best WR corps...in the nation'

COLLEGE PARK -- Before the start of the 2013 season, CSN asked Deon Long who he thought had the best wide receiving corps in the ACC. 

"We're going to practice like we're the best. We're going to play like we're the best," Long said. "And I guess we'll see when we play Clemson."

Long and his running mate, Stefon Diggs, were never able to back those words up after both went down with season-ending injuries on Oct. 19, one week before the Tigers came to College Park. But now Long and Diggs are back, healthy, and in a new conference, ready to prove the same point they were kept from proving in 2013.

Long took his comments from last season a step further when asked on Monday at Maryland's media day.

"Over the summer, we've really jelled as a wide receiving corps as a whole, as a family," Long said. "So I definitely feel like we have the ability to be the best receiving corps in the Big Ten -- in the nation, actually."

If the string of injuries showed anything, to Long's point, this might be Maryland's deepest unit. Even with Nigel King transferring to Kansas, Long, Diggs, Levern Jacobs, Taivon Jacobs, Amba Etta-Tawo, and Juwann Winfree are all options to catch passes. Levern Jacobs especially showed that in 2013, ending up as the team's leading receiver.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-10-most-underrated-college-football-quarterbacks-2014

The Top 10 Most Underrated College Football QBs in 2014 

C.J. Brown, Maryland (Sr.)

If fans are looking for someone else who could join Kelly as a 3,000-500 guy, look no further than Maryland’s Brown. Finally healthy, the Terps' signal-caller threw for 2,242 yards, ran for 576 and accounted for 25 total touchdowns. All without two potential NFL wideouts in Deon Long and Stefon Diggs. Look for Brown (if healthy) to be one of the surprises in the Big Ten this fall.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-virginia-linebacker-isaiah-davis-commits-to-maryland-20140812,0,3954355.story

Virginia linebacker Isaiah Davis commits to Maryland

Virginia linebacker Isaiah Davis, the younger brother of Maryland standout safety Sean Davis, verbally committed to the Terrapins Tuesday night.

Davis said he called offensive coordinator Mike Locksley as Maryland wrapped up practice Tuesday night and later spoke to coach Randy Edsall.

“For one, being close to home [was appealing] and having my family being there,” Davis said during a phone interview.

“Playing in the Big Ten, there’s a lot of competition in that conference, and having the opportunity to play with my brother on the same team [was attractive].”

Davis is 6-foot-1, 215 pounds and said he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds.

“I’m more of a speed guy,” Davis said.

Davis is rated as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com, but he said he had offers from Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Boston College, North Carolina State and Ohio in addition to Maryland.

“I feel like I can help Maryland’s program,” Davis said.

Davis is the 17th player to commit to the Terrapins’ 2015 recruiting class.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-looking-at-seven-terps-football-players-poised-for-breakout-seasons-20140817,0,3614953.story

Looking at seven Terps football players poised for breakout seasons

COLLEGE PARK -- Last year, safety Sean Davis, outside linebacker Marcus Whitfield and wide receiver Levern Jacobs all went from unheralded players for Maryland to major contributors.

Here are seven Terps who are poised to break out this season (listed alphabetically):

Senior outside linebacker Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil

The Towson High graduate had 18 tackles and three sacks in six games as a rotational player last year. The Terps are depending on him to help replace the pass rush production of Whitfield, who had nine sacks last year. Cudjoe-Virgil originally joined Maryland as a walk-on, but he has become one of the leaders of the defense and is consistently praised by coaches for his work ethic as well as his relentlessness and motor as a pass rusher. Cudjoe-Virgil was one of just three outside linebackers from the Big Ten selected to the preseason watch list for the Butkus Award, which is given annually to the top linebacker in college football.

Junior safety Sean Davis

Davis technically broke out last year with a team-high 102 tackles and two interceptions, but he appears poised for an even bigger season in 2014. Davis, at 6 feet 1, is up to 200 pounds from 185 last season. He also is more confident, more savvy and has been consistently talked up by teammates and coaches during the summer. He had an interception during Maryland’s scrimmage Saturday, as well as a forced fumble on a punt return that he recovered and returned for a touchdown.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/19/6044733/maryland-athlete-scholarship-guarantee

Maryland announces life-time scholarship guarantee for student-athletes

The University of Maryland made an historic announcement Tuesday, becoming one of the first Division I schools to offer a "lifetime degree guarantee" for student-athletes. The guarantee is being dubbed "The Maryland Way Guarantee," and marks an historic step in protecting athletes' rights -- particularly those who suffer serious injury. From the official school release:

Beginning in November of 2014-15, ‘The Maryland Way Guarantee' will provide all incoming student-athletes with a multi-year scholarship guarantee. Pursuant to this program, should a student-athlete exhaust his or her eligibility prior to graduating, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation. If a student-athlete is injured and unable to compete, we will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation.

Maryland will also provide tuition, books and fees for student-athletes who leave the institution in "good academic standing" and return at any time to finish their degree. The school is one of the first to offer a scholarship guarantee for all sports, not just football and basketball.