Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Gruden Likes Intensity In Fully-Padded Practice

MustangSteve

Fully-padded practices with live hitting are a rarity nowadays in the NFL.

Accordingly, coaches want to take advantage of every opportunity they get to simulate game-like conditions for their players.

The Redskins and their coaching staff on Monday got their first opportunity of the season to see where the team stands in those game-like situations, and head coach Jay Gruden liked what he saw.

“I thought the tempo was great,” Gruden told reporters after the morning session. “I think overall it's a great learning experience and the physicality up front is where it needs to be.”

The Redskins, wearing full pads for the first time in 2014, wasted no time putting bodies on the grass on Monday, as the opening special teams session featured a one-on-one tackling drill.

From there, the practice featured several 11-on-11 sessions, pitting a full offense against a full defense.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Gruden-Likes-Intensity-In-Fully-Padded-Practice/3d917801-2f53-4b22-9e35-96c8abcb5b15

This is how to prepare a team! I remember Joe Gibbs preparing his teams the very same way through the 80's and 90s. He even called off a practice the week of Super Bowl 24 half way through the day because they were laying the wood to each other and he sure didn't want any injuries going against Buffalo. They practiced hard them days and it carried over to the field, 4 SuperBowl appearences with 3 Lombardi's.

I'm really loving what I'm seeing with coach Gruden, the man is going to have our beloved Redskins ready to roll this season!!!

I too enjoy the "old school" vibe that comes with Gruden.

I have to admit that the majority of my opinion of him comes from two sources, Hard Knocks on HBO, and a spillover effect from his brother -- Jon.  He's his brother, some of his hard nosed, old-school grit has to rub off on his lil bro, right?!?

The practice was MUCH different then those I saw last season under Shanny. I only live 10 mins from the facility so I went a lot last year, and thought the mood at the field as far as the players and coaching staff was too laid back.

Today however I saw intensity, hustle, efficiency, and passion

No one was lolly gagging around when that horn hit to move from drill to drill everyone was hustling and it seemed like everyone was engaged during the drills and guys where actually competing against each other vs just putting in reps. Even saw a few fights on the field!

Needless to say I liked it, it actually looked like what a football practice should.

So no matter what happens during the season at least they can say it is not due to lack of intensity or effort

I've been catching up, reading the brief articles listed in Breaking News. But I'm really feeling optimistic.

Physical practices. (Even if the CBA doesn't allow you to do that, much).

And I like the way they did it, too. A week before the first preseason game. And they get the afternoon, and the next day, off.

Between that, and what I'm reading about our "Special Forces Commander", I'm really feeling optimistic.

The practice was MUCH different then those I saw last season under Shanny. I only live 10 mins from the facility so I went a lot last year, and thought the mood at the field as far as the players and coaching staff was too laid back.

Today however I saw intensity, hustle, efficiency, and passion

No one was lolly gagging around when that horn hit to move from drill to drill everyone was hustling and it seemed like everyone was engaged during the drills and guys where actually competing against each other vs just putting in reps. Even saw a few fights on the field!

Needless to say I liked it, it actually looked like what a football practice should.

So no matter what happens during the season at least they can say it is not due to lack of intensity or effort

Thank you for that info! Mike Shanahans laid back practices carried over to the field last season, especially opening game when Philly wore us out in just the 1st half. There is no excuse for that, poor poor poor coaching by Shanahan. The only thing worse then that embarrassing game was watching the Philly fans crown themselves World Champions that week after 1 win against a 1 legged QB. There is only 1 word that describes their entire fan base, Duh!!!

The great news is these full speed practices will also carry over to the field. This team will be in football shape, more polished and ready to play quality football come Sept 7th. I want to see the Redskins come out and put it to Houston on opening day. Not squeek by, but make a statement 1st game that this is no longer Mike Shanahans failed experiment, but Jay Grudens Washington Redskins and better be taken very seriously.

We really did look pathetic during the game with the Iggles. I was thinking to myself then that this is going to be a long season.

I was in a bar that monday night and had to deal with a loud, obnoxious and annoying female philly fan who apparently felt the need to dance, yell and clap with every positive play the eagles made.  it got to the point, the owner of the bar started passing me shots of whisky for free to calm me down.  i wanted to strangle her and i think he did too..  i sure hope we have their number this year just to keep her pie-hole shut...  

I was in a bar that monday night and had to deal with a loud, obnoxious and annoying female philly fan who apparently felt the need to dance, yell and clap with every positive play the eagles made.  it got to the point, the owner of the bar started passing me shots of whisky for free to calm me down.  i wanted to strangle her and i think he did too..  i sure hope we have their number this year just to keep her pie-hole shut...  

Lol - given their SB record, it doesn't take much to excite iggle fans. Glad you didn't go Ray Rice on her.

I went again on Thursday and this am before the ran got to bad and my kids wanted to leave, still liking what I am seeing as far as the intensity and pace of the practices. I will say that I saw some things from the players I did not like.

Chris Thompson is absolutely horrible in pass protection, he can kick return and he is fast but I fear him being our third option in the back field when he cant stop a corner on an end rush even when he knows its coming.

Colt McCoy has not thrown a decent pass the entire time I have seen him out there (1st padded practice, Thursday, and this morning) I know he is third string and I know if he gets in the game the season is pretty much done, but there have to better options out there, hell Keeping Rex would have been better than going to get him skill wise

Morgan Moses looks like a rookie, I think he will be ok but right now the vets are beating him with experience

Trent Murphy is progressing nicely I think he will be really good, he is just not as athletic as Kerrigan, or Rak hopefully he can change that.

If we stay healthy I do not think there is a team we cant compete with RgIII, Morris, Reed, Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, Moss that line up should average no less than 30 a game...if we cant win with that then we never will

Ted Bolser so far in practice is a physical TE. He can block, he can catch and I saw him run over a LB and DB on the first day of pads. He is a little slow but I think he would be great on teams, and to keep around in case Reed goes down to back up Paulsen.

That's about it been awesome camp so far.

Archived