Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release

July 27, 2014

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have waived linebacker Brandon Jenkins.

In addition, the team announced that offensive lineman Maurice Hurt has passed a physical and no longer appears on the Active/Non-Football Injury list.

From being 'the most improved player' (per brian baker via keim) in the spring to being waived...  such a waste...  good luck to him going forward.

Wow - clearly Jenkins took a major step back early in camp.  Sad, but I think it speaks to the level of competition on this team during camp.

To activate Mo, didn't someone need to be cut?

IIRC, during training camp/preseason, when the roster limit is 90, people on PUP count against that 90 limit so no one would need to be released for him to come off PUP.  During the regular season, a person on PUP does not count against the 53 so if they were to get activated, then yes, someone would then need to be dropped.

Do they take a look at Larry English released by the Chargers?

I'm still scratching my head about why Jose Gumbs hasn't been brought back when there was a roster spot open

Well that's unfortunate. There was some hope for him, but apparently he just didn't get it.

I do like the cut early in camp though. Does a couple of things:

1) it allows him ample opportunity to catch on somewhere else and compete for a team.

2) it sends a clear message: if you're not performing, we're not going to waste time on you. Shape up, or we'll ship you out.

I like both of those things.

Well that's unfortunate. There was some hope for him, but apparently he just didn't get it.

1) it allows him ample opportunity to catch on somewhere else and compete for a team.

2) it sends a clear message: if you're not performing, we're not going to waste time on you. Shape up, or we'll ship you out.

I have to wholeheartedly agree.  Hello everyone! Looking forward to a great year!

I have to wholeheartedly agree.  Hello everyone! Looking forward to a great year!

Welcome to Extremeskins, please enjoy your stay. There are fresh towels in the bathroom and mints* on the pillows.

*Don't eat the mints

Prolly came in out of shape and thought he'd get right during the beginning of camp. Hopefully the message sent is, come in out of shape and not ready to work, and well cut your ass and get a hungry rook to take your spot. Bottom line is if you can't play special teams and you're on the back end of the roster, you'd better be on top of your game.

I remember how everyone touted this game like he was the next great LB.  He showed nothing at the NFL level

he didn't exactly have much chance to.

Surprised he's the first cut of camp

hope for good things from Hurt

So...an early exit for Jenkins. I saw in the camp thread Barker was screaming at him numerous times so far at camp. Also saw where he was getting pushed around by OTs - his knock out of college was lack of strength. Guess that didn't improve. 

Haven't there been reports of Hurt reporting out of shape? 

There's something about FSU DEs.  So many don't pan out in the NFL.  Michael Boulware was good one.  Kam Wimbley's and Derrick Alexander had ok careers but never lived up to the draft status.  Then you have Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds, Alzono Jackson and Evertt Brown who were busts.  Jury still out on Werner and Carradine.  

Always found it interesting how some schools produce good or bad at certain positions.  

Georgia for example:  DL usually turn into good pros.  OL usually turn out bad.  

Seems like he just didn't get it.  One of those talented college players that thinks he can just show up and win a job because he shows flashes.  If the guy had cared to do the work, he had a good chance.  

Oh well, time to move on from players who don't care to dedicate themselves to their careers.

The ultimate question I wonder about is, did Gruden invite Jenkins into his office to let him know he's being cut

That's a good question. I'm not sure what the protocol always is during camp. Watching a few old episodes of Hard Knocks, it seems that during camp, a lot of times the pro personnel director is the guy who delivers the news.

But Jenkins had been around long enogh maybe that he earned a visit with the HC.

Or, it could have been Allen.

Interesting question though. I wonder if a media guy will ask it...

The ultimate question I wonder about is, did Gruden invite Jenkins into his office to let him know he's being cut

You mean unlike Shanahan's "Open Door" policy?  (The door's open, unless I'm in the office, then it's locked and you can make an appointment to see me, but we won't actually schedule you until I know you've already been cut.)

There's something about FSU DEs.  So many don't pan out in the NFL.  Michael Boulware was good one.  Kam Wimbley's and Derrick Alexander had ok careers but never lived up to the draft status.  Then you have Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds, Alzono Jackson and Evertt Brown who were busts.  Jury still out on Werner and Carradine.  

Always found it interesting how some schools produce good or bad at certain positions.  

Georgia for example:  DL usually turn into good pros.  OL usually turn out bad.  

You do know they are bringing in the bust formerly known as Everette Brown for a work-out, right? Too funny....

I remember how everyone touted this game like he was the next great LB.  He showed nothing at the NFL level

If by "everyone" you mean GHH then OK.

I was there with him. I really thought we got one of those injury steals. The guy flat out dominated in college and only fell due to injury. I don't kow what happened to him between spring when Baker was praising him until now when he gets cut. We as fans are just not there to make a proper judgement. I wish the guy luck, but to act like the guy sucks and had no backer is weak. He was praised and he does have potential, but deep down I really don't care, I care what's best for the Redskins. In Gruden's opinion he was not and I am ok with that. 

As always the Voice of Reason. 

Archived