Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Alfred Morris, I Was Made for This

MustangSteve

This time two years ago, Alfred Morrisicon-article-link.gif was a rookie simply fighting for the opportunity to make the final 53-man roster. Starting duties weren’t even considered for the sixth-round pick by some, as the team was returning a hearty group of skilled players at the running back position.

Fast forward to 2014 to training camp at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center, and Morris has started the last 32 regular-season games and has bucked an emerging trend in the NFL that has seen worth of running backs deteriorate.

Regardless of what other teams choose to do with their running backs, first-year head coach Jay Gruden understands what he has in Morris.

“He views me as a valuable part of this offense at a time when a lot of teams are starting to devalue running backs,” Morris said. “We’re very important. I’m excited with all the weapons we do have this year and what we can accomplish as a team.”

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Alfred-Morris-I-Was-Made-For-This-/e6b01bc3-d67b-40e8-93e0-76371ef844c9

I can not stress how important it is that Hazlett gets this Defense playing quality football. This offense has "ALL" the pieces to be a top 5 offense. Any defense that now stacks the box with 7 and 8 men will pay dearly with the speed of our receivers, and if they don't stack the box, Almo could have a field day. I love what this team has going on and with a good defense, we will be talking post season and possibly more late in the season. If Jim Haslett can't get this defense that's been together 4 years now, playing quality football like any other good coach in this league does, then he definitely needs to step out and go back to coaching something more his speed, like the "Special Olympics".

I don't have a lot of faith in our defense or it's coach. I just hope our offense will be able to out score the other offense.

This is exactly what is going to seperate the Redskins from being a below average team to an elite team. This defense must play quality and championship football. If Haslett can somehow get his Defense playing like they should, the Redskins will be a very good and dangerous football team. Forget all the talk about our offense, the entire season rest on our Defense, and No I don't trust Haslett either.

I think this defense can stay with the Cowboys and the Giants.  It's Chip Kelly's "hurry offense" that worries me.  Get at'em Coach, and do to their offense what they do to us.

The best way to slow down a hurry up offense is to put the QB on his ass. This defense has the right pieces for sure, it's the man in charge of putting it together is who I'm having a hard time trusting.

The best way to slow down a hurry up offense is to put the QB on his ass. This defense has the right pieces for sure, it's the man in charge of putting it together is who I'm having a hard time trusting.

I agree with the solution to thwart the hurry up is to hit the QB -- as far as the rest of your point, I don't think the defense is especially talented at all.  The secondary, outside of an aging D'Hall and Ryan Clark is unproven at best, or, at worst, is one high hit away from a suspension (I'm talking to you Brandon Merriweather) -- which points us back to the front 7 which, outside of Kerrigan is average on its absolute best day.  Remove London Fletcher's field calls and on-field coaching, and you're left with a hodge-podge of defenders that are all "trying to make a play".  Barring injury, I think this year has the potential to be Orakpo's best or worst year.  If he excels, the defense should follow that play, if not, then it's going to be a lot of running and long drives against the D.

How do you keep a high flying Offense off the field? Long drives when YOU are on offense...... look for alot of running against the front seven with the opportunistic play action to drive the dagger.  Sound familiar?

Still haven't seen a valid blitz it seems in about 3 or 4 years...

I

If the offense improves to top 5, they will score ~30 PPG. Like in 2012. Let's make that assumption for hypothetical reasons.

If the defense/ST improves to average, or 24 PPG, they will have a plus 5 points per game margin.

That's good for 10-6.

If the D/ST can pull off a top 10 season, Skins are playing Seattle or SF for the right to go to the SB.

I agree with the solution to thwart the hurry up is to hit the QB -- as far as the rest of your point, I don't think the defense is especially talented at all.  The secondary, outside of an aging D'Hall and Ryan Clark is unproven at best, or, at worst, is one high hit away from a suspension (I'm talking to you Brandon Merriweather) -- which points us back to the front 7 which, outside of Kerrigan is average on its absolute best day.  Remove London Fletcher's field calls and on-field coaching, and you're left with a hodge-podge of defenders that are all "trying to make a play".  Barring injury, I think this year has the potential to be Orakpo's best or worst year.  If he excels, the defense should follow that play, if not, then it's going to be a lot of running and long drives against the D.

How do you keep a high flying Offense off the field? Long drives when YOU are on offense...... look for alot of running against the front seven with the opportunistic play action to drive the dagger.  Sound familiar?

Still haven't seen a valid blitz it seems in about 3 or 4 years...

I

It's hard to disagree with this, it's starting to look like a routine with this defense. I just can't help but feel these players would excel with the right coaching, but I'm not too sure they can get that under Hazlett.

I think this defense can stay with the Cowboys and the Giants.  It's Chip Kelly's "hurry offense" that worries me.  Get at'em Coach, and do to their offense what they do to us.

Our offense and special teams did not help slow down Philly last year, if that changes we can talk about competing. 

Our offense and special teams did not help slow down Philly last year, if that changes we can talk about competing. 

Is this a Morris or Haz thread?

Every thread is a piss-n-moan about Haslett thread anymore............

That said and rightfully so, I stand by the offense and special teams doing it's part. First Teams must get and control decent field position for the Offense and Defense to do their jobs. Second that also means a balanced attack and not going away from using Morris, ahead, behind, close game, whatever. Stick with a balanced attack, unless the score is really out of whack. 

There were times when many of us asked, or yelled aloud, Where's Almo? That can't happen, he will set up the use of the shiny new toys and keep our QB from getting killed. Yes, Alfred Morris was made for this. 

That said and rightfully so, I stand by the offense and special teams doing it's part. First Teams must get and control decent field position for the Offense and Defense to do their jobs. Second that also means a balanced attack and not going away from using Morris, ahead, behind, close game, whatever. Stick with a balanced attack, unless the score is really out of whack.

There were times when many of us asked, or yelled aloud, Where's Almo? That can't happen, he will set up the use of the shiny new toys and keep our QB from getting killed. Yes, Alfred Morris was made for this.

its misleading though. We ran more than almost any team and people act like we neglected Morris, because he was gaining lots of yards when we were down by 21 and they were giving it to us.

I agree though, Morris is the key.

I think the defense will do better than people think. I like our defensive line.....Baker, Cofield, and Hatcher.  It starts up front.

I like our DL too. Hatcher really makes a difference over what we have had previously. I'm much more concerned about our OL than the DL. Our OL is the one thing that can negate all the weapons we have on O. Hopefully, Griff is more decisive and gets the ball out quicky under Grudes. 

its misleading though. We ran more than almost any team and people act like we neglected Morris, because he was gaining lots of yards when we were down by 21 and they were giving it to us.

I agree though, Morris is the key.

Oh yeah I agree it was misleading, they gave up on the run at the wrong times. 

I like our DL too. Hatcher really makes a difference over what we have had previously. I'm much more concerned about our OL than the DL. Our OL is the one thing that can negate all the weapons we have on O. Hopefully, Griff is more decisive and gets the ball out quicky under Grudes. 

One way to slow down an aggressive Defense is to get Morris involved in the passing game and Gruden is doing it. That alone will open up so many opportunities for RG3 and our offense. The very best offenses in this league has RB's who are involved in the passing game.

If the offense improves to top 5, they will score ~30 PPG. Like in 2012. Let's make that assumption for hypothetical reasons.

If the defense/ST improves to average, or 24 PPG, they will have a plus 5 points per game margin.

That's good for 10-6.

If the D/ST can pull off a top 10 season, Skins are playing Seattle or SF for the right to go to the SB.

What?  One team averaged 30+ PPG last season and it was Denver at an incredible 37.9.  The rest of the top 5 was 27.8-27.4.

In 2012 it was NE and Denver.  We were #5 with 27.2.  2011 3 teams made it with Detroit just barely missing 30 at 29.6.  #5 that year was 25.4. 2010 and 2009 had one team each scoring 30+

So while it's all well and good to shoot for the top it's not realistic to think that top 5 = 30 PPG.  That is the cream of the crop.

What?  One team averaged 30+ PPG last season and it was Denver at an incredible 37.9.  The rest of the top 5 was 27.8-27.4.

In 2012 it was NE and Denver.  We were #5 with 27.2.  2011 3 teams made it with Detroit just barely missing 30 at 29.6.  #5 that year was 25.4. 2010 and 2009 had one team each scoring 30+

So while it's all well and good to shoot for the top it's not realistic to think that top 5 = 30 PPG.  That is the cream of the crop.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame

So my point holds, if the 'Skins offense is ranked in the top 5, they will score ~30 ppg, I was using a round number, but the top 5 is generally around 28-29 ppg.  

And IF the defense can hold teams to 24 ppg, which last year would rank 16 (Titans), then there is a +5 or +4 ppg differential, and that's going to win a lot of games.  

We don't even need quality football, just average run of the mill nothing special football. Anything above that is a bonus.

Stack the box and blitz the hell out of Foles. They have nothing on the outside we can't handle.

Archived