Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flying from Australia for my first Skins home game. Tips for a newbie looking to make sure it's as good an experience as possible?

Chadwiko

Hey folks!

After being unable to do it the past couple of years due to work, finally this year i'm flying over from Australia for a Redskins home game.  To say i'm excited is a massive understatement. 

I'm coming across for the December 7 home game vs the Rams, and i'm pretty confident i'll be coming over to see a win :)

My Browns-fan brother in law will be coming with me, and we'll be sitting in bay 104. Probably booking our tickets from the NFL ticketmaster exchange this evening. 

I've read the 'everything you want to know about Fedex field' thread, and i'm also aware of the ES tailgate.  What I want to know from you guys is, what sort of other tips would you give a first-time visitor to try and maximise the overall experience? 

Can't wait, guys. Super excited!!

Those are the biggies.  Be a part of a tailgate and leave it early enough to see the marching band, cheerleader routines, and all the game stuff.  Then post game, especially if there's a win go back to the tailgate.  Otherwise, I'd suggest give yourself a little time to enjoy DC itself.  If you dig history, art, science the Smithsonian is world class and free, the monuments are pretty cool, and there's generally a little bit of everything depending on who you are and what you like to do from the music scene to politics.  Some enjoy even going to the Rayburn building and watching Congressmen yell at each other.

Are you going alone, with family?  For a day, a week? 

Aside from the do this, do that advice...

Slow Down! Take as much in as your senses will allow, there's so much going on at any given moment.

Take at least a few times throughout the day (before/after/and during the game) and just stop, look around,

and remind yourself what's going and where you really are.

And of course, Pictures!

** Be sure to at least stop by the ES tailgate and say "HI"**

Don't get too carried away in the excitement before the game and get so wasted that you don't remember or enjoy it. That can easily happen with the atmosphere outside (although it will be December). I made that mistake once a newie.

So glad somebody said this. I made that mistake as well.

I have this image of crocodile Dundee at a redskins game. Forgive me I'm a dumb American who forms opinions of other cultures based on movies

Pre game warm ups are always cool to see, enjoy the tailgate but get to your seat early

Also, is it a 4 pm game? They are much better IMO to see live. You'll get to see the 4th quarter under the lights and a lot more time to tailgate and relax before the game

But if Im watching at home I much prefer 1 pm

Don't forget, though the lots open at 9:00am there will be ESers on Redskins Rd. @ 6:00am.

Don't be afraid to get a little pre-tailgate tailgate in before the lots open, but as mentioned above pace yourself.

Hate to see you come all this way and miss out on the game, there is nothing like a live NFL game, NOTHING!

Thanks man! Yeah, i am super, super excited.

Roughly speaking for a 1pm game, what time should I aim to get to the ES tailgate, and then what time should I aim to be leaving the ES tailgate to get to my seat for all the cool pre-game stuff?

Thanks man! Yeah, i am super, super excited.

Roughly speaking for a 1pm game, what time should I aim to get to the ES tailgate, and then what time should I aim to be leaving the ES tailgate to get to my seat for all the cool pre-game stuff?

Like i said, there will be ESers on Redskins Rd. at 6:00am. If that's not doable, the gates open at 9:00am, the tailgate will be set up by 9:10 (it's a thing of beauty to watch). As far as pre-game activities... I'd head in between 12:00 and 12:15, unless you want to hit the store pre-game then maybe a little earlier.

Awesome. I reckon i'll probably aim to get to the tailgate just before 10am, then yeah, hit up the store on my way to my seat.

I asked this in another thread, but i'll ask here as well; i'm looking at Bay 104, Row 8 tickets. From photos online, it seems like these are good seats because you're close to the action, but can still see both the field and the screens. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

104 is where I sat for my first ever game.

You'll be just out of the endzone, right around the 5 yd. line

My only concern would be row 8, that may be a little low to see from one end to the other. The video boards

will help with that though. If you haven't bought your tickets yet I'd shoot for a low row in the 200s.

Of course the closer to the 50 the better. That will give you nearly perfect sight lines. Of course this is just my opinion, others may feel differently.

The good thing, as long as you stay away from the obstructed view seats and the dream seats there's really no bad seats.

I'm sure others will be along to give their opinions and experiences.

Dream seats are section (bay) 2 - 41, most find these seats, especially on the side lines to be to low. Most people have to stand the whole game to see over the teams, cheerleaders, tv crews, photographers and other riff raff along the sidelines.

In my opinion, anything in the 100's below row 15(ish) is to low to have really good views of the entire field. That's really my biggest concern with sitting low. The plus is that the crowd is generally more rowdy down low. The noise is incredible. It's really a give/take scenario.

If being in the mix is really important stay in the 100's down low, if sight lines and seeing the game is your goal, go low in the 200's

For a nice mix, go high 100s (row 15 and up will be perfect)

This is just my experience in the stadium, of course I'm spoiled and sat for several years in what most would consider perfect seats (bay 242, row 5)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived