Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who really is the best young qb in the NFL? great read.. statisical analysis of the up and coming 7 young qb's

RG3Gruden

Ok this is my first post on this site, but let me start off by saying im a huge Luke Kuechly and RG3 fan( obviously by my screename). Im also a fan of both the Panthers and the Skins, i browse both sites to keep up with articles on them.. I find that this is the best place for redskins news, and carolinahuddle is the best place to catch up on news pertaining to Kuechly

While i was on carolinahuddle, i found an intresting thread that i thought i would share with you, its one of the best non-media driven stats-based post i have EVER seen... listed below is a link to 7 of the young qbs in the NFL and where they rank( not based on subjective media hype) but actual play on the field. I thought i would be a good read to share with not only redskins fans, but fans of the nfl in general, i was gonna copy and paste the link to here, but i didnt wanna be known for stealing, i tried to contact the guy who took the time out to do this and ask if i could copy and paste it here, but i havent got an response back, so i just said what the heck and posted anyways

HERE IS THIS LINK BELOW:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/102284-statistical-analysis-of-7-young-qbs/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a little excerpt of the final breakdown

Tannehill is a great example of what having no help for an inexperienced QB under center can do for you... which is not much. He honestly hasn't played horribly, he just has been playing like a young inexperienced QB. I have decent expectations for the kid. I honestly see him as the next Cutler. More of a potential guy with a 'what if' backstory.

Dalton is next. turnovers and inefficiency killed his rankings. While he puts up decent numbers, he doesn't do it often enough to warrant enough consideration as a Top young QB.His numbers jump up a bit if you include his 3rd year, but that year, too, was plagued by inconsistent play.

Kaepernick's ranking seems like it has more to do with the lack of games played than anything. Having said that, he ranks pretty solid and consistently across the board, something I didn't expect out of him. Will he improve? I'm not sure, but he certainly needs to prove he can sustain the success he has had thus far.

Luck. The golden boy. He was the most Mediocre (I use that term in a sense of where he was consistently ranked) of all the young QB's. He did some stuff well, some stuff very well, but just as many things as equally awful. It is obvious the colts have set their team up to go where he goes, due in large part to their heavy reliance on him in all aspects of their offense. The dude just isn't that efficient, I have no idea where the pundits get their boners from. Is he a solid prospect? of course. Is he the second coming of Manning and an elite QB in all the league right now? Hell no. 

Griffin is about where I expected him to be. Truth be told, I expected a toss-up between him Wilson and Newton for the top 3 spots. He is a solid QB guys, and he is a very important part of the Redskins offense. If the guy can stay healthy, he has a shot at being a great one. The hate towards Bobby G from the NFL fanbase seems to be rooted in jealousy from the attention he received over the other young qb's his rookie season( just my opinion). Stop hating guys, the guy is good. 

Can I just lead off talking about Wilson by saying what a nice and genuine guy he seems like? I mean the dude is so nice to everyone, and he deserves more credit than he gets on the field too. When people say the offense doesn't run through him, they have a valid argument. He was one of the least utilized weapons on this list of young QBs. What sets him apart from the others, is the execution when he has the opportunity. I would expect him to be one of the greats over the next few years if they open up the playbook and let him run things. Kid has a bright future. Can he sustain the success he's had with an expanded role? I believe so, but we have to wait and see. 

And last we have everyone's favorite Pouty, diva-centered, ****y teammate QB... Cam Newton. Honestly, I didn't expect him to average out this high. While he wasn't rated #1 in most categories, he was rated #2 in the most categories and never ranked dead last in anything. While he isn't the best at everything, he is certainly up there in plenty of them, and that is good enough to show that he is on higher ground in both facets of the game, Passing AND running. The only thing he really needs to improve on is ball security... oh wait, he totally did that this past year didn't he? I didn't use his most recent season's stats because I wanted everyone to use their first two years as a starter. If I were to include his most recent season, his efficiency rankings would jump up and he would be significantly ahead of everyone else. Cam's potential is unlimited, and he is still so far from his peak its insane

-------------------------------------------------------

Note: Nick Foles isnt on the list simply because his game log is too small of a sample size, and less than a full season of starts.. he also started to slow down to close the season( which means maybe defense started to figure chip kellys offense out)... i'll monitor foles next year and see if he is able to maintain his level of play or falls of a cliff

I guess he's no Stanford fan.  

Looks like Griffin is a pretty good QB, even after an ACL surgery.

I don't doubt he comes back and has an amazing season, just interesting that, when one takes an objective look, he's not as bad as some think.

Impressive work.

I guess he's no Stanford fan.

Looks like Griffin is a pretty good QB, even after an ACL surgery.

I don't doubt he comes back and has an amazing season, just interesting that, when one takes an objective look, he's not as bad as some think.

Impressive work.

You think that was "objective"? That was pure rubbish. Do you honestly think RG3 should be ranked ahead of Andrew Luck? Seriously? smh

You think that was "objective"? That was pure rubbish. Do you honestly think RG3 should be ranked ahead of Andrew Luck? Seriously? smh

I do, but I was still teasing you a little.  No ill intent of course, just a friendly ribbing.

Look man, I've said before that I think Luck is one of the best young QBs in the league.  I have a hard time ranking the two when both their teams made the playoffs their first year in and Robert looked incredibly dominant, like the best young QB in the league.  The hard part comes in the 2nd year when Griffin is dealing with the ACL tear and all the drama.  He had to deal with more than enough garbage on and off the field for any young QB to struggle.  Luck hasn't dealt with that yet, but I imagine he will at some point.  The good thing for him is that he's had a full offseason to build on, Griffin hasn't.

So I really don't know where to rank the two versus one another, but, I think, if Griffin hadn't been dealing with the knee, he would likely be right there with Luck.

To be honest, my biggest problem with this is Wilson, who I think should be a hair above Kaepernick.  Both guys have teams that dominate wether or not they're asked to do anything (and IMO they're not asked to do much, other than be an occasional running threat, because they both pass less than nearly any QB in the league).  Both have top 5 running games behind them (which didn't JUST become that way due to the read option) and both have superstar defenses.  

I don't believe Luck has either of those, and Griffin has no defense, but has the running back, but the OC decided, at the oddest times, to put everything on Griffin and completely abandon Morris, which kind of ruins the appearance of a threat in the read option and sells out the QB.  So, I can't put everything on Griffin, though I agree with you he struggled.  I just don't think he was as bad last year as you think.  I think he struggled, but he was dealing with a lot of ****, not just a guy that had a full offseason, came in healthy, and dropped the ball.

Does any of that reflect poorly on Luck, not to me.  The guy is balling out and got his team into the playoffs two years in a row with a really terrible team and no running game.  So, I might put Luck above Griffin, while the first year I would have put Griffin above Luck.

But, I think the guy who ranked them is being pretty objective about it all, he is a Panthers fan after all, it's not as if he has any stake in the Griffin/Luck argument.  The only thing I think might be a bit shady is putting Newton at the top, but it's not like he went out of his way to make claims that Cam is superman or whatever, he went by measurables that are pretty much fair to each guy and didn't shy away from stats that made any of them look poorly.  If I was ranking them, I might have leaned more towards which QB I think will end up being the best, but that's all subjective.

What I'd love to do is see a situational breakdown for all the QBs, I think that's where the separation truly exists.  At that point, you may be right, Luck might be as dominant as you say.  I would dare say it would show some of the weaknesses in Wilson and Kaepernick that people don't like to see, as it would for Griffin and all of the others.  I just don't have the time to do it right now.

You are dealing in 'what ifs', when comparing Luck and RG. They weren't that much different in year 1. If you remember, RG, AL, and RW ALL had outstanding rookie seasons. And Luck backed it up with an even better season in year 2. He nearly cut his INT total in half. And he finished with the fewest turnovers of any starting QB.

We will never know what might have been in year 2 with our QB, because, sadly, he was injured. But whose fault was that? He could have easily gone down or got to the sideline in the Ravens game, instead of trying to be a hero and pick up a few extra yards.

Sorry, but it's straight homerism to rank RG3 above Luck. It really is. That's just being objective.

As for this silly write-up. Don't be so sure that the OP is a Redskins fan. This guy sounds awfully similar to the juliansever00 guy that Jumbo banned in the Luck thread a few months back. The guy kept starting threads like this and he pretended to be a Redskins fan, but he was actually a Panthers fan all along. And there were even Panther fans here that outed him for being a racist that got banned at the huddle, the Panthers' message board. I'm not saying this IS the same guy that was banned here multiple times last year, but I'm already skeptical.

Anyway, if I were to rank these 7 I would have them something like this:

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. Kaepernick

4. Newton

5. Dalton

6. Griffin III

7. Tannehill

To me, the top 3 are pretty much no brainers, though I think a case could be made for Wilson 1 and Luck 2. But I don't think it's a very good case, when you consider the supporting cast of each guy's team, and what each QB is asked to do by their team. And I think you could even make a case for Kaepernick at 2.

Newton is locked in at 4, I think. There's really no case to be made, either up or down. 5-7 could be interchangeable a bit. Like, say, I could see someone putting RG ahead of Dalton. But I think there is something to be said for Dalton taking his team to the playoffs all 3 years.

With that said, I'm looking for big things out of our QB this year. I would be surprised if he doesn't take a step up from last year. Who knows, maybe even a giant step. So I think a year from now, a list like this could look drastically different.

You are dealing in 'what ifs', when comparing Luck and RG...Sorry, but it's straight homerism to rank RG3 above Luck. It really is. That's just being objective...To me, the top 3 are pretty much no brainers, though I think a case could be made for Wilson 1 and Luck 2....

See, and I disagree that Wilson should be anywhere in the top 3, because he's not asked to be THE guy for his team, not even close.  He does a lot for them, but he's under nowhere near as much pressure as, say Luck, Griffin, Newton, or even Tannehill.  He's just not asked to carry the team like those guys are.

I have no idea who the guy who wrote the article is, but I'm assuming he's not a Redskins fan meaning he's not weighing the numbers in Griffin's favor.

I agree, I am dealing with "what ifs" but that's how I rank players, but most people do (such as, what if Aaron Rodgers had a receiving corp like Tom Brady instead, would he be putting up the same numbers, probably not).  It's the same thing with a guy like Drew Brees.  San Diego didn't want him because "what if his shoulder is never the same" so New Orleans went the opposite direction with "what if his arm is fine", and the Saints banked on that speculation, rating him higher than the Chargers had at that time.  

I tend to love stats because they are objective, though they are only part of the story.  Speculation is an important part of it too, IMO, but as for being completely objective, it's hard to beat numbers, and especially situational numbers.  Problem is, they take a long time to put together.  So, until somebody has the time to do it, we're stuck with what we remember and the stats.

My problem with saying a QB like Dalton or Wilson is better than someone else based on their team going to the playoffs is that it's not just THEM getting their team to the playoffs.  There are plenty of players on those teams that strengthen that team, not just one guy.  It's not like Griffin or Luck who went to terrible teams and suddenly took them to the division championship or the playoffs (of course Griffin had Alfred too).

I don't think it's "homerism" I think it's looking at each guy's potential based on how they played.  Luck's two years haven't been nearly as impressive, IMO as Griffin's first year.  Now we'll get to see Griffin with a full offseason, and a healthy knee again, so we may not need to deal with speculation as much after this year.

I'm about to log off and get some sleep, but I'll quickly hit on a few points and respond back later.

As far as Wilson: I can see your point, but I don't think he drops below 3. I mean, he put up very similar numbers to Luck last year. And as you said, he was playing in an offense where he wasn't asked to do anywhere close to what Luck was.

Per your Dalton points: I wasn't 'just' basing my ranking on the fact he went to the playoffs all 3 years. I just think, at this point, he's more of a pocket passer than RG3. He's considerably better. But he's also had more experience at it, as he wasn't running a Mickey Mouse offense his rookie year, as our QB was.

Like I said, I think you could make a case for RG3 to be 5, instead of Dalton. But no higher.

Personally, I think Cam is going to take a step back this year. Carolina won't come close to 12-4 again this year. I'm not even convinced they will make the playoffs this year.

And a lot of SB-wining teams seem to take a step back the year after winning it all. So Wilson could tumble down this list, too.

And as I said in the last post, RG3 is likely to be better this year. Possibly a lot better. So he could easily shoot up the list.

Ranking the QBs based on production (like the OP/author) does is different from ranking them QBs based on 'potential/upside/talent'

My ranking, based on yet another criteria, combines both production and potential

Which QB would I choose to build a team around:

1) Cam Newton

2) Robert Griffin

3) Russell Wilson

4) Andrew Luck

5) Kaep

6) Tannehill

7) Dalton

Either way that's a good crop of young QBs.

Ranking the QBs based on production (like the OP/author) does is different from ranking them QBs based on 'potential/upside/talent'...

Either way that's a good crop of young QBs.

Yeah, I agree.  I just can't wait to see what Griffin does this year.  The only year he's really had the opportunity to be on the same level as these guys was his rookie season, and he killed it.

So, with training camp starting today (thank goodness) here's to a great season for Robert. beer.gif

Bubble Screen said;

1. Luck
2. Wilson
3. Kaepernick
4. Newton
5. Dalton
6. Griffin III
7. Tannehill

Sorry I have a hard time in believing that list is in any way objective  - Luck is a good young QB but you are not the only one with eyes I can watch the game film as well and I see he still has room to grow - But i think that team is all together better than it is given credit.- the D is/was nasty.. even if they are using PEDs until they come out their eyeballs and lying about it.... (yes still bitter)  

I like Wilson as well, Wilson is the most inoffensive likable humble guy - he is not asked to do much but he does it on tap - he has to be top three no doubt simple because he is the guy when they need him to be the guy...

Newton had an amazing rookie year, a slight softmore slump when all the character knives came out, and then a really good season last year,  and while I agree with you the Panthers probably aint going 12-4 again this season I still don't see  Newton dropping off dramatically . Top three for sure.

Then you seem to have a semi on for Kapernic - Okay last season there were rumors he was going to be benched but his struggles kind of were overlooked he is the least QBy of the top young QBs, I kind of think of him as a Tebow with a better QB arm and without the character. I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens now he has been paid, although again i think the 49ers were smart to do what they did with his contract. (bottom 3)

I do think Tanehill suffered the fate most young QBs do - on a bad team and looked at to be the savior, but he should never have started in year one, he had 1 year colligate history at the position and he needed time to be groomed into the QB position - but he really is heading down the road of what might have been at this point.  (bottom 3)

Dalton I really do not like this guy that much at all. He seemed to be a limiting factor on the Bengals especially last season but the system got more out of him than he rightly had to give - a turn over machine makes up for the need to develop as a QB by throwing alot. AND he is a ginger (bottom 3)

Thal leaves us with Luck and RGIII who I have not placed .. BS seems to downgrade Griffin everytime someone attacks Luck - Not objective - I think Luck and Griffin are right together in terms of where they are right now. Luck to me came into collage with so nearly the perfect game his improvements were always going to be small but incremental - but he needs to have a good season this year - not that I am in any doubt he will be awarded a massive extemsion next season  but to silence the murmeres that he can actually improve his game and not do the same thing over and over and over again ...

Griffin IMO is to smart and too hard a worker to not be one of the greats. In 2012 he was ahead of Luck he made a bad team his own and carried the offense - When idiots people start saying things like ;

"We will never know what might have been in year 2 with our QB, because, sadly, he was injured. But whose fault was that? He could have easily gone down or got to the sideline in the Ravens game, instead of trying to be a hero and pick up a few extra yards".

My blood boils .. sure he could but then the Ravens could have missed him in the middle of the field or maybe hit a few inches higher... lots of what ifs...You cannot put a guy on the field  and ask him to win you a football game and then blame him for getting injured - for erm trying to win a football game. If you want to go that route whos fault was it he was injured, well I will go with the coaches, for taking a small injury (LCL strain at the time) and making it a HUGE injury by a)  not shutting him down then and B) not  pulling him from a later game where he was clearly struggling.  

It really does bring me to question  any objectivity you may have towards the Redskins QB when you say moronic things like that. Football is a tough game, injuries happen all the time, coaches and training staff have to limit those possibilities - but in that one statement you deminish Griffins abilities because you don't like his 'win at all costs mentality'. Put any starting QB (who have the ability to extend plays) in that same situation and I garuntee most would be going for the extra yard, (being the hero) as you put it because in the heat of battle durring a game, clock running down, chasing a lead there might not be a next time to get those extra yards.  

On the subject by the way of being smart enough to protect yourself. Which rookie QB do you think took the most hits (unecassarly in many cases) - I will give you a clue, he plays in indianapolis and his name sounds like Andrew Luck. Go through some of his post game interviews and there was one (I can never remember which game) but he was describing a late play and was talking of double vision but laughed it off with that Aww Shucks mentatlity he has . He played every down in the game I am thinking of, but would not the smart player not even **** around with a potential concusion insted of lauging it off..

To finish my list, right now I have Griffin, Luck and Wilson all in the top four, behind Newton, and I am still not sure of the order. I am typically against the use of statistics, but if you bothered to read the origional work then you might appreciate it for what it is. Also you will see in the margins of error the middle is very muddled and I would agree with that. 

You have your opinion, that mirrors the media created perception of what different players are. If you are comfortable with that then that is fine, and if you have sound basis for that opinion then fine, but I really do not think it is nearly as cut an dried as you on numerous occasions have tried to project . But repeating a statement time and time again and arrogantly ignoring other voices is not winning an argument.    

PFF does their Quarterbacks in Focus series, not sure if it deserves its own thread, but they do a really in depth situational breakdown of all the 2013 QBs.

It would be good fodder for QB discussion....I'll post links to the young QBs they've done thus far....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/23/qbs-in-focus-griffin-cousins/

Griff^^^

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/13/qbs-in-focus-cam-newton/

Cam^^^

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/15/qbs-in-focus-colin-kaepernick/

Kaep^^^

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/24/qbs-in-focus-ryan-tannehill/

Tannehill^^^

I'll just leave this here...

» Andrew Luck ranked as the fifth and final signal-caller to crack the top tier. "He can put it on his back as a younger player, where some of these other guys had good help running the ball like Ben (Roethlisberger) or Matt (Ryan) or Russell (Wilson) or Joe (Flacco)," a defensive coordinator said. "They have had people you could hand it to. They say you can win with a young QB when you have a top-10 defense and a top-10 running game. Luck hasn't had either."

I'll just leave this here...

» Andrew Luck ranked as the fifth and final signal-caller to crack the top tier. "He can put it on his back as a younger player, where some of these other guys had good help running the ball like Ben (Roethlisberger) or Matt (Ryan) or Russell (Wilson) or Joe (Flacco)," a defensive coordinator said. "They have had people you could hand it to. They say you can win with a young QB when you have a top-10 defense and a top-10 running game. Luck hasn't had either."

The Colts have been #1 or #2 in their division every season since 2002, except the year the Colts (purposefully?) sucked for Luck.  It it not accurate to say Luck is on a bad team or lifts them into the playoffs.  Actually he may be on a bad team, it just doesn't take much to win in the AFC South. 

Ryan Tannehill - 2013

PFF Grade 20.2

Positives

• Graded at +12.1 on second down.
• Ranked third with +8.0 grade on passes thrown in 11-to-20-yard range.
• Despite perception, graded at +2.7 on passes thrown at least 30 yards in the air.
• Showed good improvement throwing the ball in between the numbers (+15.0).
• Graded at +9.1 on passes outside the numbers to the right.
• Among the league’s best when throwing from a clean pocket (+20.5).
• Graded at +7.7 against third-down blitzes.
• Ranked fourth with a +16.3 on 7-to-8-yard drop-backs.
• Ranked second with a +15.6 grade on drop-backs lasting 2.1 to 2.5 seconds.
• Among the league’s best when throwing to outside wide receivers (by alignment) at +16.0.
• Graded at +8.0 when throwing to tight ends, including a +4.6 grade when throwing to tight ends in the slot.
• Graded at +8.1 on hitches and +7.9 on go routes.

Negatives

• Graded at -0.5 on 3rd-and-10+ and -1.3 on 3rd-and-long.
• Below average on passes in the 21-to-30-yard range (-2.8).
• Graded at -3.6 when pressured.
• Graded at -1.4 against third down non-blitzes.
• Struggled to a -4.1 grade on 4-to-6-yard drop-backs.
• Graded at -3.6 on drop-backs lasting 2.6 to 3.0 seconds.

Tendencies

• Threw 3.1% of passes at least 40 yards in the air; seventh-highest in the league.
• Threw 53.8% of passes outside the numbers; sixth-highest in the league.
• Faced pressure on 33.6% of drop-backs; below the league average of 35.5%.
• Faced third down blitzes 43.8% of the time; fifth-most in the league.
• 25.1% of drop-backs were in 4-6-yard range; fifth-most in the league.
• Only 12.7% of drop-backs went at least nine yards; sixth-lowest in the league.
• Above average percentage of drop-backs lasting two or less seconds (31.8%) and 2.1-2.5 seconds (28.0%).
• Used play action only 14.8% of the time; eighth-lowest in the league.
• Led the league with 81.9% of passes going to wide receivers (by alignment).
• Only 11.7% of attempts went to running backs; lowest in the league.
• 14.1% of attempts were out routes; fourth-highest in the league.

The Colts have been #1 or #2 in their division every season since 2002, except the year the Colts (purposefully?) sucked for Luck. It it not accurate to say Luck is on a bad team or lifts them into the playoffs. Actually he may be on a bad team, it just doesn't take much to win in the AFC South.

The team Luck inherited wasn't the same team as the ones that Peyton won 10+ games a year with. They gutted that team before Luck got there.

And the Colts didn't tank. Stop with the idiotic conspiracy theories. That just makes your argument look even more foolish.

And the Colts beat SF DEN SEA and KC last year. So stop acting like they didn't play/beat anyone.

Cam Newton - 2013

PFF Grade 10.8

Positives

• Among the league’s best on third downs (+9.0).
• Graded at +3.0 on plays that broke the pocket.
• Best grades came on short passes, including +3.8 on throws in the 1-to-10-yard range.
• Graded at +7.1 in a clean pocket and +8.9 against the blitz, including a +6.5 grade against third-down blitzes.
• Posted a +4.6 grade on passes in between the numbers.
• Among the league’s best on drop-backs of 9 or more yards (+7.4).
• Showed well on passes in the 2.1-to-2.5-second range (+8.1) and ranked second in the league on passes lasting at least 3.6 seconds (+10.9).
• Graded at +6.0 on passes to tight ends including a +5.0 grade to tight ends lined up in the slot.
• Showed well on out routes (+3.2), comebacks (+3.3), and post routes (+4.4).
• Extremely impressive +5.2 grade when pressured in two seconds or less.

Negatives

• Struggled on second down (-6.0), particularly 2nd-and-Long (-5.5).
• Graded at -6.4 on passes traveling at least 20 yards and -3.6 on passes traveling at least 30 yards.
• Worst grades came on 4-to-6-yard drops (-3.1).
• Graded at -3.3 on passes outside the numbers to the right
• Graded at -9.4 on passes in the 2.6-to-3.0-second range.
• Worst routes were corners (-1.5) and go routes (-0.9).

Tendencies

• 74.8% of drop-backs came out of the shotgun or pistol, right around the league average.
• Faced the blitz 38.0% of the time, fourth-highest in the league.
• 6.4% of passes traveled at least 30 yards in the air, fifth-highest in the league.
• 24.1% of drop-backs lasted at least 3.6 seconds, sixth-highest in the league.
• Only threw to running backs in non-screens situations 9.7% of the time, fourth-lowest in the league.
• Threw the fifth-highest percentage of running back screens at 6.0% of his attempts.
• 5.9% of drop-backs left the pocket, just above the league average.

It's more so an issue with everyone anointing Luck that he is the next Peyton Manning and is already "Elite" status.  He has played above average football in the worst division the NFL has probably ever seen the last 3 years.  If he played Denver 10 times he would of won twice.  SEA is a completely different team when you play them away.  We would of **** on Seattle 2 years ago in the playoffs if Griffin didn't get hurt in the 1st.  

I think we all can agree Luck is very good.  Improvement in Andrew Luck will be higher than others as well IMO.  But "Elite" status already with Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Brady (although fading because they won't get him help) with mediocre stats.  No way.  This year is a huge weighing factor on Robert because the Colts will have 6 wins right from the start with that crappy division and most likely will win the division.

Colin Kaepernick - 2013

PFF Grade 5.2

Positives

• Showed well on third down at +7.9, particularly 3rd-and-Long (+6.6) and 3rd-and-Medium (+3.7).
• Led the league with a +4.9 grade on designed rollouts.
• Graded well on passes traveling at least 20 yards in the air (+4.3)
• Ranked fourth with a +7.7 grade on passes outside the numbers to the right.
• Fourth-highest grade when blitzed (+10.3) including a solid +1.6 when pressured from the blitz.
• Graded at +7.4 on drop-backs in 7-to-8-yard range and +5.8 on drop-backs of at least 9 yards.
• Among the league’s best on passes lasting 2.1-2.5 seconds (+7.7) and drop-backs lasting at least 3.6 seconds (+6.2).
• Ranked third with +12.7 grade on throws to tight ends.
• Ranked second with a +7.5 grade on corner routes and showed well on post routes at +4.5.

Negatives

• While third down was generally positive, struggled on 3rd-and-10+ at -4.9.
• Among the league’s worst on passes in the 1-to-10-yard range (-4.2) and 5-to-10-yard range (-5.5).
• Struggled on 4-to-6-yard drop-backs (-5.0).
• Graded at -3.3 on passes lasting two seconds or less.
• Graded at -1.6 on passes to running backs.

Tendencies

• 38.1% of drop-backs came from under center, fifth-most in the league. Also took the third-most drop-backs from the pistol at 15.3%.
• 9.3% of drop-backs were designed rollouts, fourth-highest in the league and broke the pocket on 9.7% of drop-backs, third-highest in the league.
• Threw 31.7% of passes in the 5-to-10-yard range, sixth-highest in the league and threw the fourth-highest percentage of passes in the 11-to-20-yard range (26.3%).
• Led the league with 32.7% of passes going outside the numbers to the right and threw the league’s highest percentage of passes outside the numbers at 58.7%.
• 44.2% of drop-backs came in the 7-to-8-yard range, sixth-lowest in the league.
• Third-highest percentage of drop-backs that lasted at least 3.6 seconds (27.4%).
• Used play action on 28.0% of drop-backs, seventh-highest in the league.
• Led the league with 46.2% of first-down drop-backs using play action.
• Threw 27.1% of passes to tight ends, fourth-highest in the league.
• 56.2% of drop-backs came against base defenses, highest percentage in the league.
• Threw screens on only 6.3% of drop-backs including only 1.3% to running backs, second-lowest in the league.
• 5.7% of attempts were corner routes, highest percentage in the league.

The team Luck inherited wasn't the same team as the ones that Peyton won 10+ games a year with. They gutted that team before Luck got there.

And the Colts didn't tank. Stop with the idiotic conspiracy theories. That just makes your argument look even more foolish.

And the Colts beat SF DEN SEA and KC last year. So stop acting like they didn't play/beat anyone.

You are the one that quoted someone saying they were a bad team and Luck was carrying them:a defensive coordinator said. "They have had people you could hand it to. They say you can win with a young QB when you have a top-10 defense and a top-10 running game. Luck hasn't had either."

I was agreeing that maybe Luck is on an untalented team.  It seems we are making each others arguments

PS - why are you so sure they didn't tank?  10 win a year team for 10 years has 1 blip on the radar and goes back to winning 10 games a year.  Blip just happens to come the year the best prospect in 10 years is leaving college. 

About the tanking, there were whispers of it before the Colts had even lost a couple games.  (articles dated Sep 11).  Also, people act like to tank you have to get players to do worse or something but it just requires keeping the wrong guys in for the wrong plays or having NO legitimate backup to Manning and rolling out Orlovsky (0-16 Lions fame) and Painter and K. Collins.  It's hilarious that once they secured the first pick, they finally won a(or was it another?) game.

Nick Foles - 2013

PFF Grade 7.4

Positives

• Ranked second in the league at +11.2 on passes in the 11-to-20-yard range.
• Among the league’s best on throws of 30+ yards (+3.3) and 40+ yards (+3.0).
• Graded at +10.5 on throws between the numbers and +7.3 outside the numbers on the right.
• Graded at +3.7 with a 131.8 passer rating against the blitz. Those numbers rose to a +7.2 grade and 153.5 rating when the blitz didn’t result in pressure.
• Ranked fourth with a +10.7 grade on drop-backs of 9 or more yards.
• Ranked fourth on passes lasting at least 3.6 seconds at +9.1.
• Best routes were the posts (+4.3) and in routes (+3.1).

Negatives

• Graded at -2.3 on passes in the 21-to-30-yard range.
• Strugged on passes outside the numbers to the left at -3.5.
• Graded at -3.5 against blitz pressure.
• Posted negative grades on passes that lasted up to 2.5 seconds; graded positively on those lasting at least 2.5 seconds.
• Lowest grade by route was a -0.1 on go routes.

Tendencies

• Led the league with 92.5% of his drop-backs coming from the shotgun or pistol.
• 8.0% of his passes came on scrambles outside the pocket, above the league average of 5.6%.
• Threw the highest percentage of passes at 20+ yards (18.9%) and 30+ yard (7.0%).
• Threw 31.6% of his passes outside the numbers to his right, third-highest in the league.
• Overall, 54.6% of his passes went outside the numbers, fifth-highest in the league.
• Dropped back to 9 or more yards on 38.5% of his drop-backs, sixth-highest in the league.
• 26.6% of passes lasted at least 3.6 seconds, fourth-highest in the league.
• Threw the highest percentage of screens in the league at 17.5% of his total drop-backs.
• Threw crossing routes on 16.1% of his drop-backs, highest percentage in the league.
• Threw the lowest percentage of slants in the league at 3.1%

Archived