Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody else surprised that Alfred Morris isn't holding out?

mojo

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm shocked Morris is playing the 3rd year on a rookie 6th round contract after putting up stats in his first 2 yrs which are on pace for the hall of fame? So clue me in. Is one of the top 5 running backs in the NFL really going to risk injury another season for a few hundred grand?

Alfred Morris still drives a Mazda from like 1989 so, no, I'm not surprised.

If he has another year like this someone might get in his ear though. And honestly, with the lifespan of runningbacks what it is, they probably should.

Even if the restrictions were not in place it just not seem to be in Al Mo's nature to do such a thing. One of the reasons he is so successful in the NFL and in life.

Being humble is the defining trait that makes me root for him and love that he is a Redskin.

Even if the restrictions were not in place it just not seem to be in Al Mo's nature to do such a thing. One of the reasons he is so successful in the NFL and in life.

Being humble is the defining trait that makes me root for him and love that he is a Redskin.

That's kind of how I feel, but I also want the dude to get paid because of anyone on the team right now, he deserves it.

Yeah, and the CBA doesn't allow renegotiations until after the rookie contract is over, unless you weren't drafted.

Like big#44 said new CBA rules prohibits him from doing such a thing. If you're a fan of Almo then you will know that isn't in his character to do such a thing anyways. Dude is probably the most humble professional athlete I've ever seen and money doesn't seem to be a huge motivating factor. Of course like somebody else already stated, his agent will be in his ear to demand a big contract but it's ultimately up to him. If he has another year like his first two, then we need to pay him his due even if he accepts a hometown discount.

The new CBA is part of the reason I'm in favor of college athletes getting paid. A kid like Alfred is the best RB in the NFL over the past 2yrs and he can't even negotiate into a new contract that he is worth. Alfred drives that Mazda because he has to.. he's not getting paid anything!! 

The new CBA is part of the reason I'm in favor of college athletes getting paid. A kid like Alfred is the best RB in the NFL over the past 2yrs and he can't even negotiate into a new contract that he is worth. Alfred drives that Mazda because he has to.. he's not getting paid anything!!

He isn't the best RB in the NFL the past two seasons. Stop being silly.

I get that to, but it's financial security. Even the most humble of individuals can't afford to leave millions on table, especially when it's your first.

That first big one may be able to secure him for life if managed properly.

Given life span of NFL RB you can't be mad WHEN AlMo holds out/renegotiates... He HAS to

Didn't he make like $400,000 last year, with performance incentives? Granted, that isn't Bill Gates money (and he is criminally underpaid) but he could most certainly drive something other than his Mazda. He keeps it because that is just who he is.

Like others have said, that attitude and work ethic make him easy to root for and impossible to root against.

Thanks for the info. I didnt realize the new cab prohibited it. Personally, given the short lifespan of NFL players I don't agree with it. If he signed a 4 yr deal, that's a lifetime for a running back. God forbid he gets injured and not to mention all those carries could effect what a team would offer for his next contract. I see how he CBA rule makes sense for high round picks who actually get decent pay but for the rare player like Morris who is late pick and performs like all pro, they get screwed.

Honestly, that CBA clause works out cuz there's no way I'll ever advocate giving an RB a big deal

I actually think Morris will ride out his two years here and then get his deal from somewhere else. He deserves it I just don't want to be the team paying a big RB contract. I'll be sad to see him go if that happens but as I mentioned in the other thread, I am also worried that his shelf life is shorter due to the workload and beating he has taken which makes a larger contract even riskier.  

I honestly see him getting a contract here. I think he will give a "Hometeam discount" because we gave him a shot when he wasn't going to get one elsewhere and sign a better, but not huge contract. And he'll keep driving his Mazda until it dies, no matter how much he gets. Because that is who he is.

Because of the rookie pool and recommended salaries according to draft slot, Robert Griffin III, who will someday be the highest-paid Redskins player, ranks just ninth in 2013 cap hit at $4.8 million, following the top five, Josh Wilson, Brian Orakpo and Josh Morgan.

But RGIII’s fellow rookie star, who rushed for 1,610 yards last season plus 80 more in the playoffs, is merely the 54th-highest paid Redskin. Running back Alfred Morris, who makes less (the minimum $480,000 plus a $30,775 bonus) than linebackers Roderick Muckelroy and Vic So’oto (555,000 each), technically doesn’t count against the salary cap right now.

Just a little something to ponder this morning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/04/11/alfred-morris-does-not-count-against-the-salary-cap/

----------------------------------- I think he could swing an upgrade in transpo if he wanted one without breaking the bank. 

That is his opinion. What do you care? Doesn't hurt you in any way.

Why don't you get back to polishing Luck's cleats. It's all your good for lately anyway.

Opinions can be wrong. And in this case, it definitely is. Love Morris though. And if he keeps producing, he will get his.

Archived