Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN TE MIKE CAUSSIN

TK

For Immediate Release

July 22, 2014

REDSKINS SIGN TE MIKE CAUSSIN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent tight end Mike Caussin. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In addition, the team waived long snapper Kyle Nelson.

Caussin (6-5, 243) was originally signed as a college free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars on April 26, 2010. He spent a portion of the 2010 season on the Jaguars’ practice squad before signing to the Buffalo Bills’ active roster on Dec. 2, 2010. He was a member of the Bills’ organization across the 2010-13 seasons before being released on July 16, 2014.

Caussin has appeared in six career NFL games with two starts, all during the 2011 season. He has recorded five NFL receptions for 41 yards.

Caussin played collegiately at James Madison from 2006-09, appearing in 44 career games and recording 66 career receptions for 1,009 yards with 14 receiving touchdowns. As a senior in 2009, he earned Offensive MVP honors for the Dukes and the John Kraus Award for spirit and determination after posting career highs in receptions (25) and receiving yards (438).

Caussin, 27, attended West Springfield (Va.) H.S. He was born on Feb. 26, 1987.

With Niles Paul, Logan Paulsen and Jordan Reed it seems to be an up hill battle for Mike Caussin and Rook Ted Bolser.

I would imagine the final 53 would be the first three with Bolser on the PS but you never know what can happen with injuries.  Worst case Caussin has a chance to put some recent tape together for the other 31 teams.

Seems like were bring in a lot of TEs. (I'm counting the FB we signed who played TE in college. On the theory that I really doubt we brought him in cause we needed a second FB).

Not happy with the ones we've got? Or maybe for ST?

With Niles Paul...

Well remember, Paul was a Shanahan project. So it's not like his spot is guaranteed if he doesn't impress in camp. And with Reed having that major concussion last year, I'm not shocked that there are almost a dozen TEs at camp. Need lots of bodies to evaluate for that 3rd spot (and potential future 3rd spot if somebody goes down).

Well remember, Paul was a Shanahan project. So it's not like his spot is guaranteed if he doesn't impress in camp. And with Reed having that major concussion last year, I'm not shocked that there are almost a dozen TEs at camp. Need lots of bodies to evaluate for that 3rd spot (and potential future 3rd spot if somebody goes down).

Agree. There are always possibilities. Look at how ALMO cracked the starting line.  Nevertheless, Imo it appears to be an up hill battle for Caussin and Bolser.

One thing I'll say for Niles Paul. He was consistently one of the guys I could see on special teams that seemed like he could actually play. Maybe that's just because it was such a historically embarrassing and bad unit, I'm not sure. He also seemed to care a lot about it. I seem to recall him calling out the entire unit for their terrible play last year. At least on special teams, I think he's an asset.

Seems like were bring in a lot of TEs. (I'm counting the FB we signed who played TE in college. On the theory that I really doubt we brought him in cause we needed a second FB).

Not happy with the ones we've got? Or maybe for ST?

I don't think the FB (Campbell?) signing was about needing another FB.  It's a camp body so DY isn't banging heads every play they need a FB.  It's the same reason team's bring third/fourth QB's when they only plan on carrying 2-3 throughout the season.  You have to keep players fresh to get good reps and stay healthy.

One thing I'll say for Niles Paul. He was consistently one of the guys I could see on special teams that seemed like he could actually play. Maybe that's just because it was such a historically embarrassing and bad unit, I'm not sure. He also seemed to care a lot about it. I seem to recall him calling out the entire unit for their terrible play last year. At least on special teams, I think he's an asset.

Niles Paul gets kind of a bad rep because of the whole Shannon Sharpe comparison.  In reality he's a versatile player that excels on special teams.  I don't think he'll ever be a weapon on offense or even a guy you want as a spot starter but he's a productive player to have on your team.  

Mike was born and raised in Springfield, VA.  He purchased a six-story renovated row house mansion in Baltimore for $1,000,000 that has three elevators in it.  He also has quite the car collection: Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche Panamera, Masserati Grantursimo, Ferrari 458, and a customized Ford F-150.

Link

Son either has to come from money, has some good side-hustles, or has made great investments.....

Niles Paul gets kind of a bad rep because of the whole Shannon Sharpe comparison.  In reality he's a versatile player that excels on special teams.  I don't think he'll ever be a weapon on offense or even a guy you want as a spot starter but he's a productive player to have on your team.  

Agreed. I fully expect he'll make the 53 again this year based on his ST play and versatility as a sub. Bolser probably ends up on the PS and that would be a good start for him.

Archived