Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Defensive Line

Vanguard

I was watching Redskins Nation and it seems Chris Baker will be starting at the Defensive End position on the line.  So the starting line up would be Baker, Coefield, and Hatcher.  I think that's pretty solid.  What do you think?

I think it's a strong defensive line as a pass-rushing unit, but subpar against the run. 

With the Redskins offense built to score, hopefully opponents will be forced to throw the ball often and the line can pin their ears back. 

Could be as special as our recieving unit. Especially if JJ comes on and Carriker comes back.

If our ST doesn't suck and our offense can stay on the field and score, which allows Haz D to just attack, we could get nasty.

While I have my doubts about Carriker returning (to the team and to his 'old self'), if he did, he could be a big help to the line. Haslett called him his best run defender in 2011 (though he may have meant out of the dlinemen) and he got after the QB.

Regarding run D vs pass rush, I thought it was interesting that Gruden talked about it being difficult to transition from a run... front (maybe a different word - not my forte) to a pass one. But he said they were doing a good job (possibly coach speak of course). Curious what that means for our run defense and how it affects our inside linebackers... particularly Robinson if he's the starter.

Really need JJ to do what he does best this season. I still have high hopes for him.  I really hope that Hass will allow our Dlinemen to rush up field this season.  Could be the best for players like JJ. Not being allowed to rush up field could have stunted plenty players growth and development. 

Really need JJ to do what he does best this season. I still have high hopes for him.  I really hope that Hass will allow our Dlinemen to rush up field this season.  Could be the best for players like JJ. Not being allowed to rush up field could have stunted plenty players growth and development. 

He's played plenty of nickel.  He's not getting any push.  This is obviously his make or break year.

Baker is going to be really good this year.  I think he's got a big following around here from those who just like to watch old fashioned coaches film and see an offensive lineman get his ass beat. 

Could be as special as our recieving unit. Especially if JJ comes on and Carriker comes back.

If our ST doesn't suck and our offense can stay on the field and score, which allows Haz D to just attack, we could get nasty.

I know you heard the doctor. :lol:

Lots of "ifs" but lets hope we have the coaching staff that can put it all together.  On offense and teams I think we do for sure.

Don't think we can count on JJ or Carriker to be playmakers.  They are good depth, if Carriker makes the team.  Excited to see if Worthington can give us solid reps too.

We need Baker, Cofield, and Hatcher to ball out.  And stay healthy.  I think that trio could be stout.

Hoping those guys can get the bulk of the snaps due to the fact that our offense keeps them fresh all game to the tune of about 35 points a game. :)

Cofield struggled a lot last season, but it's difficult because the entire defense regressed. I like Chris Baker A LOT. I said lat preseason that he was one of our best defensive linemen. Not sure why it took so long for him to crack the starting lineup

I think this dline has a lot of potential but with the Hatcher knee issue and Cofields shaky season ly, I'm taking a wait and see approach

Cofield and Jenkins are good run stuffers and lane cloggers but I don't think they have any real impact as pass rushers. Hatcher and Baker have the quick twitch necessary to disrupt and pressure from inside. Bowen and Carriker were good power rushers when they were healthy but neither one of them is more than a possible reserve at this point.

JJ was so good before the acl tare. I think he will have a good year. Hell, if he doesn't it's not like we are losing out on anything. I really think JJ will shock a lot of people just got a gut feeling about him. I watched him, and pass rush was not his weakness. I'll let his play show you better than I can tell you this season

Jarvis Jenkins is a solid run-stopping 34 DL. I think its unfair to expect him to become a pass rusher or penetrator when that's not what he does. On our DL the pressures are supposed to come from Hatcher and Cofield and with a lot of fan expectation on Baker. I like Baker and think he has potential to be disruptive in the run game but anything he brings in terms of interior pressure I would consider a surprise bonus.

On the spectrum of pure 34 NT to pure 34 DE I would have both Jenkins and Baker closer to NT then DE.

It's obviously a different level of competition going from the ACC to the NFL but Jarvis did show some pass rush ability in college.  There was a lot of talk a year or so ago but his first step.  I wonder how much of that was a result of the injury and how much is the need to improve against better competition.

Look at that big man spin.

I know it's just my opinion but I think that several players, JJ included, suffered from the Shanahan pound-a-square-peg-into-a-round-hole syndrome. He was highly regarded coming out of college and flashed some initially, but between the injury and the "We'll do your thinking for you" overlords last year, he didn't produce. I want to see it but I do believe it's in there, he can play the game, they just need to let him play the way he plays.

Of course, I could also be full of **** and not know a thing, it wouldn't be the first time.

Cofield and Jenkins are good run stuffers and lane cloggers but I don't think they have any real impact as pass rushers. Hatcher and Baker have the quick twitch necessary to disrupt and pressure from inside. Bowen and Carriker were good power rushers when they were healthy but neither one of them is more than a possible reserve at this point.

I think you've got Cofield backward - his strength (IMO) has been his pass rush.

Jarvis Jenkins is a solid run-stopping 34 DL. I think its unfair to expect him to become a pass rusher or penetrator when that's not what he does. On our DL the pressures are supposed to come from Hatcher and Cofield and with a lot of fan expectation on Baker. I like Baker and think he has potential to be disruptive in the run game but anything he brings in terms of interior pressure I would consider a surprise bonus.

On the spectrum of pure 34 NT to pure 34 DE I would have both Jenkins and Baker closer to NT then DE.

Totally agree. Not sure why Haslett hasn't moved one or both of Baker/Jenkins inside. I mean, I know he likes the pressure Cofield brings, but you can (likely) get that same production with him at DE. To be fair, I could see maybe why you'd want your best pass rushing lineman pressuring from the middle as opposed to from the DE spot (especially if the other two linemen aren't getting much push), but with Hatcher on board I think it makes more sense to have Cofield opposite him.

DG - can you explain what Gruden meant by converting our line from a run front to pass front (or something like that). Is he referring to responsibilities? As in, play the pass first and then switching to playing the run if they see the handoff? I'll try to find the quote.

Edit: here's the quote. After reading it again I think he may just be talking about changing mid-play...

“They’re doing a much better job of getting off blocks and transitioning from a run-type of front to a pass rush on the play actions,” Gruden said. “Everybody down there, all those defensive tackles. Kedric Golston is doing a good job. They’re all rushing the passer a lot better.”

Gruden added: “They’re still maintaining their run gaps and playing good run defense. Transitioning from a run-style stance to a pass rush [stance] isn’t easy for a lot of our people, but our guys are doing a good job.”

If anything the potential new starters reflect the rumors we have heard of our DL going to a "one-gap" system. 

Baker-Cofield-Hatcher are all best at getting up field and causing havoc.  I wouldn't say any of them excel at holding ground and occupying blockers.

Bowen-Jenkins-Nield and possibly Carriker give this team some depth and the ability to rotate to keep fresh unlike we have seen in recent years.

As much as I love his attitude, the day Golston is off the roster because there are better players will be a great day for the Redskins.

... He was highly regarded coming out of college ...

I thought he was generally considered a reach in the 2nd rd by the so-called experts and he really hasn't shown anything to counter that perception.

I realize his injury has limited his opportunity so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think if he doesn't come up big this summer he could be a 53 cut.

Look up Jarvis Jenkins scouting report and college sack and tackle for loss numbers if you doubt that he wasn't considered a penetrator/interior pass rusher.

DaQwan Bowers was a pretty good linemate to have.  Even though he hasn't shown that in the pros.

And I completely buy-in to JJ helping Bowers and one hand feeding the other. 

If we have a youngin who shows promise, I really don't want Carriker to make the team just because he has it at this moment and based on his past resume. 

JJ is going to shock people this season. I know we are Redskins fans so we have a "grey cloud" hanging over our heads when it comes to young draft picks. I totally get it. However, JJ was looking like a stud before the knee injury. I think now that we finally are going to allow our Dlinemen to rush up field will help a lot of guys preform.  let's see how he does then pass judgment on him. JJ is going to be a stud for my Redskins I have a gut feeling (Unless injured). If he doesn't then we have lost nothing, but if he becomes that beast he once was pre knee injury watch out.

“They’re doing a much better job of getting off blocks and transitioning from a run-type of front to a pass rush on the play actions,” Gruden said. “Everybody down there, all those defensive tackles. Kedric Golston is doing a good job. They’re all rushing the passer a lot better.”

Gruden added: “They’re still maintaining their run gaps and playing good run defense. Transitioning from a run-style stance to a pass rush [stance] isn’t easy for a lot of our people, but our guys are doing a good job.”

I really don't know...it seems like empty coachspeak to me.

My guess would be that he's talking about transitioning mid-play from playing the run to playing the pass.

For example lets say Haslett calls Okie a 2-gap front expecting a run but instead of the expected run play the offense is passing; the DL needs to transition from playing their run gaps to getting into their rush lanes.

Or he could be talking about changing their actual physical stances from run to pass, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

*shrugs*

JJ was so good before the acl tare. I think he will have a good year. Hell, if he doesn't it's not like we are losing out on anything. I really think JJ will shock a lot of people just got a gut feeling about him. I watched him, and pass rush was not his weakness. I'll let his play show you better than I can tell you this season

I think a high second round pick is a pretty big loss if he doesnt pan out.

I hope he can get healthy and become a stud, but I am not holding my breath at this point.

Archived