Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rifftrax- For Fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000….

shakinaiken

Anybody heard of this? some of the writers/performers(Bill Corbett-Crow, Kevin Murphy- Servo and Mike Nelson- Mike Nelson) from MST3K, continued the form of quips-during-awful-movies via a website called rifftrax. Anyway, there was a live show tonight where they riffed on the the already cult classic "Sharknado" and it was fantastic. Just came back from the show, and was curious if any of the members here(and i know there are a few MST3K fans amongst the members) were aware the website existed/have attended a few shows. 

I love the shows because, though, i've enjoyed many solitary nights laughing alongside these stalwarts of referential comedy, theres nothing more enjoyable than experiencing it amongst other fans. 

News to me. Thanks for the tip, shak--as a MST3K fan, I'll look into it.  :)

You won't be dissapointed. Unless you were Joel-era fan of MST3K :) Who, i believe has created his own version of a spiritual successor to MST3K named Cinematic Titanic. However, after sampling both, i'm more partial to Rifftrax- not surprising, since i grew up during the later years of MST3K, which includes the talent associated with Rifftrax. 

I was aware of the website but I didn't know they performed live! I gotta check that out.

Live shows are fantastic. And they stream everywhere. I've attended three live shows at the theater in Fairfax Town Center. Im relatively sure you know where that is :)  There next live show is August 14th, where they riff the movie Godzilla(the 1998 Matthew Broderick version). You should attend.

Live shows are fantastic. And they stream everywhere. I've attended three live shows at the theater in Fairfax Town Center. Im relatively sure you know where that is :)  There next live show is August 14th, where they riff the movie Godzilla(the 1998 Matthew Broderick version). You should attend.

Oh no way! I'll definitely go to that.  And hey, hit me up on Facebook or somethin' if you wanna go.

These are hit or miss I think. Mike was never as good as Joel. He was so damn good at it.

I prefer Mike and the era Mike was associated with. Mike episodes seemed less reliant on esoteric references which Joel era episodes spouted in large numbers. Most Joel episodes i attempt to watch, i have no idea what half of the jokes are referencing. Though i am a younger fan, and didn't get into the show until it was on the Sci fy network. Just my opinion :)

These are hit or miss I think. Mike was never as good as Joel. He was so damn good at it.

I like both Mike and Joel, but some of my favorites are from the Mike/Sci-Fi Network era.

"Prince of Space" (my favorite), "Riding with Death", "Space Mutiny", and "Time Chasers" (I think that was the name of the film) are from that era.

Archived