Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HERE IS WHY RG3 SHOULD RUN!

deepball1

First of all there is no reason whatsoever that Griffin should not run. Stop yelling at me "HE'LL GET HURT!".  Here is a fact: if Robert had just decided to slide on the play against Baltimore and had not suffered a partial tear, then we would not be having this discussion right now. It is only because of one freak accident and stupid decision to stay upright, that has caused a lost season and put us all into this situation of believing that RG3 should not run or he will get hurt.

You like facts? Here are some more. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson combined have run much more than Griffin, and for more yardage, and neither one of them has been injured. Here are the combined numbers against RG3:

ATT                              YARDAGE

LUCK          125                                  632

WILSON      190                                 1028

RG3            206                                 1304

As we can see, those 2 have run a total of 315 compared to only 206 for Griffin, and they have run for more yardage than RG3 and neither of them has suffered even one leg or shoulder injury. And except for one single freak accident RG3 would probably have set new records last year. There is really no reason for Gruden to take away the Read Option threat simply because Griffin may possibly/could be injured.....as long as he knows how to run out of bounds like Wilson and slide like Luck, he can pick up yardage and make this offense more effective while remaining healthy.

Had he slid in that baltimore game he would of been decapitated. Just all around bad luck on that play. Its the designed runs i dont care for, im all for smart scrambles. In fact, i really hope he scrambles and gets down as it will just open up the field even more.

The comparison is flawed because Luck and Wilson haven't had two ACL surgeries. Why would they be concerned exiting the pocket? I agree that RG3 should, at the very least, take Rodgers as an example and improvise outside of the pocket. Designed runs should be shelved though.

The comparison is flawed because Luck and Wilson haven't had two ACL surgeries. Why would they be concerned exiting the pocket? I agree that RG3 should, at the very least, take Rodgers as an example and improvise outside of the pocket. Designed runs should be shelved though.

I'm all about this as well.  RG3 can be very dangerous outside the pocket.  His ability to hopefully run again will be nice, but I do not want to see him scrambling for extra yardage, spinning, juking with 6 people running at him, ect.  I think he has learned his lesson.  No designed runs either unless 4th and 1 perhaps.

I'm all about this as well.  RG3 can be very dangerous outside the pocket.  His ability to hopefully run again will be nice, but I do not want to see him scrambling for extra yardage, spinning, juking with 6 people running at him, ect.  I think he has learned his lesson.  No designed runs either unless 4th and 1 perhaps.

We tried a designed run on a 3rd or 4th and 1 last year and he got completely blown up.

Didn't Griffin get a concussion against Atlanta his first season?

Here is why RG3 should pass

(pic of Garcon and Moss)

I cannot recall a better WR group here in several decades, and well, he has a great arm.

At first I was in agreement, until I realized that it's Garcon and Moss, not Jackson or Reed or Roberts.  Add those three in, and Alfred, and I agree 100%.

I'm all for lengthening plays, making plays with your legs, and scrambling (his concussion and knee injury were both runs off of broken pass plays though), I want it to be a threat.  I just hope he can protect himself better.

However, the most prolific offenses in the NFL have been a threat because they got the ball into their playmakers' hands, not because the QB ran for more yards than anyone else.  I think we have enough weapons on offense that we can afford to protect Griffin.  Luck has next to nothing in Indianopolis, and Wilson isn't required to pass hardly at all because that's the weakest part of his game, IMO.

Ive got some facts for you....

RG3 is surrounded by talent. We have one of the best WR duos in the NFL, a great TE, and an incredible running back. GIVE THEM THE DAMN BALL.

We need to spread the ball around. RG3 needs to be a passer first and run less, then when he *does* run teams will be less geared up to stop or hurt him and he will be even more effective.

RGIII has a clumsy and reckless way of running and scrambling.. I don't think there is another player in the nfl who takes so many highlight reel hits. He also struggles protecting himself in the pocket

You watch Russell Wilson or tony romo they know how to protect themselves... You rarely see them take anything other than a glancing blow as they duck a shoulder or get out of bounds, or give just enough of a head fake to get someone off balance while they get to the ground or slide.

It gives me a lot of concern for his long term viability in this league. I do think there are some little things he can work on to improve here, especially in the pocket. Learning how to get rid of the ball faster and conceding when a play is over would help a lot I think

RGIII has a clumsy and reckless way of running and scrambling.. I don't think there is another player in the nfl who takes so many highlight reel hits. He also struggles protecting himself in the pocket

You watch Russell Wilson or tony romoSUCKS they know how to protect themselves... You rarely see them take anything other than a glancing blow as they duck a shoulder or get out of bounds, or give just enough of a head fake to get someone off balance while they get to the ground or slide.

It gives me a lot of concern for his long term viability in this league. I do think there are some little things he can work on to improve here, especially in the pocket. Learning how to get rid of the ball faster and conceding when a play is over would help a lot I think

Manning is the best at it. He knows when a play simply isn't going to work and will throw the ball at a WRs feet and move on to the next down.

Why RG3 allows himself to take these big hits is beyond me. 

RG3 is surrounded by talent...he will be even more effective.

First off, I ran out of likes but I agree with your post 100%.  We've got all these stars and are worried about getting the ball to them enough, why have your QB run like crazy.  It eliminates the surprise of a scramble when it happens.

Second off, for a guy with the name "Mad Mike" you sure have a folksy, friendly look.   ;)

RGIII has a clumsy and reckless way of running and scrambling....

That is pretty much the perfect description of his running style, sort of all over the place until he's going 100 mph straight ahead.  He honestly looks like a rag doll most of the time when he's dodging people.

This is in no one way a logical comparison or train of thought.  Here are some other stats:

Andrew Luck 6'4 239lbs.

Russell Wilson 5'11 206

RGIII 6'2 222

RGIII is built like a track athlete (what a surprise).  Andrew Luck has the frame to take hits and Russell Wilson is much more compact.  Luck and Wilson also know how to slide/step out of bounds rather than taking a hit.  RGIII has not proven able to do this.  

I may be called a conspiracy theorist but to me RGIII and Vick will always take big hits. In my opinion it just already in people heads for them to take big hits. I bet if RGIII slides or go out of bounds people will still spare chuck him and hit him late out of bounds without any penalty. Skins fans to me have been trained to be blinded by what we see. The only team where outrageous rules, and unfair tactics happen regularly and we always are told that we are "wearing rose colored glasses". Just my opinion, but I think no matter what RGIII does there will always be a green light to hit him. JUst watch the film people. There was games from last season where people were hitting RG while he was walking up the fieild in the back without penalty. Games were he was taking head shots late no helmet to helmet calls. Freaking Jared Allen hit him with a very late hit, and to make matters worst, the hit was illegal. Straight hitting the QB low in the knee. HTF can RGIII out of All the QB's playing last season take a knee shot? Everyone who watch any of the Skins game was looking at his Knee 24/7. Everyone was focusing on the knee for health reason. They let Allen hit him in the Knee and besides the illegal hit, they allowed a late illegal hit. I think the refs said JA  was blocked into his knee buhahahahaha!!! 

This is in no one way a logical comparison or train of thought.  Here are some other stats:

Andrew Luck 6'4 239lbs.

Russell Wilson 5'11 206

RGIII 6'2 222

RGIII is built like a track athlete (what a surprise).  Andrew Luck has the frame to take hits and Russell Wilson is much more compact.  Luck and Wilson also know how to slide/step out of bounds rather than taking a hit.  RGIII has not proven able to do this.  

I'm about sick to death of this argument. Body size has almost nothing to do with durability. If it did, Ben Roethlisberger would be one of the most healthy QBs in the league, yet he's played only two full seasons where he hasn't missed games for some injury. It's mainly because Ben has played with reckless abandon for the majority of his career. RG3 has a similar issue where he feels that taking a brutal hit is worth making a play. One of his biggest flaws is not knowing when to give up on a play and move on. Either he'll learn to minimize the damage he takes or his NFL career will be short.

This is just one game where he took several hits that could have been avoided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PSOmz5Jkdw

Rewatch our game against Chicago. I think that is the best game to look at that you can see a smattering of RO that worked like a charm, he could still pass and where he probably did the best job of his career protecting himself by sliding or getting out of bounds.

I have read with interest as some of you continue to yell "HE'LL GET HURT". If you go back and read the original starter post I believe I mentioned "as long as he knows how to run out of bounds like Wilson and slide like Luck, he can pick up yardage and make this offense more effective while remaining healthy".

Some of you chose to ignore that part, while others talk about Griffin does not need to run because he has playmakers. Well, if the playmakers are taking the playstoppers down the field and occupying the playstoppers, then our number one playmaker is RG3. If he can slip around the side and run for 8-10 yards and pick up a first down maybe 5 or 6 times per game and then run out of bounds, why would anybody say "he should run less". I am trying to figure out why him running for a first down 5 times per game would still not allow him to "GIVE THEM THE DAMN BALL".

Some of you have gone off the deep end and you imagine Griffin running 20 times per game and thus in your mind it is between passing 20 times per game OR running 20 times per game. This is not the case we are discussing. We are talking about a few designed runs each game in surprise situations which keep the defense on edge and always a bit stiff at the line of scrimmage. I think even Gruden mentioned it as a surprise element. In 2012 Griffin did not run 20 times per game. If he you look at his average so far it is just over 6 times per game, slightly more than ONE PER QUARTER. What's wrong with that?

Griffin has taken MORE hits in the pocket being a pocket passer than he has running 6 times per game, but some of you continue to display this unwarranted fear that if he runs out of the pocket "HE'LL GET HURT!".This is just not the case with the exception of that one run in Baltimore, which was his own fault. If he will slide OR go out of bounds I still do not see a need for a complicated discussion about why he cannot run 8 yards and pick up a first down a few times per game. Regardless of what you think, this is a proven way to open up the rest of the run game as well as delay pass rushers for an extra second.

And one final note here...the guy who stated as a reason for Griffin to not run because "We tried a designed run on a 3rd or 4th and 1 last year and he got completely blown up".  LMAO at that comment. Are we talking about one play? Are we talking about the GRIFFIN who last year wore a KNEE BRACE and had a hard time running or moving naturally? Help me out here. Are we talking about one play and a guy with a knee brace on? I am confused. Is that what you were talking about.  lol

What do you do when your QB is a playmaker when he runs? Do you still want the ball in his hands then?

Like I said, scrambling I have no problem with.  The issue becomes when teams are waiting for Griffin to run because it's a big part of our offense, then when he scrambles they are also ready for it and it takes away some of our effectiveness.  Look at Vick when he was younger, he never had designed runs yet he was the only QB to ever rush for 1,000 yards in a season (1,039 in 2006) and he had a 8.4 ypc that year.  Griffin had 6.8 ypc in 2012 and 5.7 ypc in 2013.  

Running designed runs as a large portion of your offense stops the QB from being as effective a runner as when he does it on broken plays.  I'm not talking about QB sneaks on 4th and 1, I'm talking about trying a draw up the middle on 1st and 10 every few plays.  Not the most effective option, IMO.  There are other ways to run the read/option without having the QB run the ball all the time (and they're more effective, IMO).  It seemed like the Skins' read option was based on the run or hand off option, whereas lots of other teams are using the read option more as hand-off or pass, with QB run being the last line.  If that's what we're doing, great.  If we're going with the Alfred or Griffin running option and nothing else, then I have a huge problem with it.

How often did the Eagles run the read option last year?  How often did Nick Foles run the ball last year? (4.4 rushes per game including scrambling from broken passes).  If we're running the read option that way, great!  If we're going back to the Kyle system, I'd rather run a conventional NFL offense than that.

As to your other question, QB is a playmaker (which ours definitely is, when healthy) if the QB is beginning to scramble, and he sees a WR open 20 yards downfield, which would you rather have?  Do you want him to run the ball, or pass it to the open receiver?  Of course the receiver.  There's no reason for him to run in that situation, even if the receiver is only 5 yards ahead, it's still the right call.  If he begins to run because the pass play has broken down, and there's a giant hole, then run.  That's completely fine, but it's also unplanned.

So, I'm not saying every situation it's bad for the QB to run, I'm saying that the less you script the run, the more it will take teams by surprise and the more it will cause problems for them.  DG or someone else might have a better break down and more information than me.  GHH and he and several of these guys are much more knowledgable than anyone in this thread so far.  Hopefully they can come in here and explain why it's good/bad to run your QB more often.  They may disagree with me completely, and that's fine, I don't have to always be right, but if I'm not right I'd like to have someone educate me and explain why.

Not to say you're saying this Cali, but someone telling me that it's better to have our QB with 2 ACL surgeries run more because Luck and Wilson do it and "Hey look, them guys ain't got hurt!"  That's just a step up from "Come on, everybody's doin' it!"  Sorry but I'm not taking the "2 guys do it and they're not hurt yet" line of thinking, mostly because our QB HAS gotten hurt already, both times while running the ball, so that already negates the OP's argument that it's okay because everyone else is doing it.  No matter how many times he wants people to stop reminding him of that fact.  It's the truth.

...LMAO at that comment. Are we talking about two players? Are we talking about Luck and Wilson who haven't been injured yet or are we talking about Griffin who last year wore a KNEE BRACE and had a hard time running or moving naturally? Help me out here. Are we talking about two players and a guy with a knee brace on? I am confused. Is that what you were talking about.  lol

Just fixing that for you.

You watch Russell Wilson or tony romoSUCKS they know how to protect themselves... You rarely see them take anything other than a glancing blow as they duck a shoulder or get out of bounds, or give just enough of a head fake to get someone off balance while they get to the ground or slide.

I agree 100% and have said all along that Griffin ALWAYS appears to take a knock out type of hit. There are no "normal" looking hits on the guy. He repeatedly gets body slammed when he gets hit in the pocket. When he scrambles, he gets hit and his body goes in every which direction. I would even say he leads the league in losing his helmet on hits. This is a definite major concern and if he doesn't fix it and learn to absorb hits and/or protect himself, he's never going to last.

Griff just needs to be more alert when he runs.  His field awareness is crap when he takes off.  Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that's something he can improve much on.  And his sliding is terrible.  Like a kid in little league.

With that being said, I still have hope.  Steve Young used to get his bell rung all the time and he finally figured it out.  I don't mind a few designed runs a game, and I have no problem with Griff taking off when he gets pressured.  

Whatever we do, Griff needs to show that he can make teams pay for blitzing on the interior.  Last year, nobody feared his legs so they brought the heat.  The minute he turns the corner and takes one 60 yards to the house, they'll have to stop that junk.  I also think that is the number one reason that our interior OL got exposed last year.  Biggest difference between 2012 and 2013.

I love the post because I think the "He shouldn't run because he might get hurt" argument is a media driven narrative that makes it sound like QB's don't get hurt playing in the pocket. If he's standing in the pocket this year and takes a shot on the knee then what will they say? QB or any other player is at risk as soon as he steps on the field. It obviously doesn't have to be the centerpiece of the Offense like it was in 2012 because the WR talent is better and he's more experienced but there are some games where they will need to use it more than most people would like and they can't be afraid of doing it.   

This is just one game where he took several hits that could have been avoided:

Slightly off topic but how can anyone watch that video and not see how horridly bad Kory L sucks??

that dude got beat like a drum in quite a few of those highlights.. I'm praying that him and Chester get beat out in TC by the youngsters this year.

Archived