Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tidbits from the 1991 Redskins Press Guide - Gary Clark #84 Wide Receiver

HapHaszard

Up Close:

In addition to his football camp in Roanoke, VA, he held a similar camp for underprivileged children at Catholic University in Washington, DC that stresses the importance of why to say no to drugs.

Career Highlights:

Gary was selected to the Pro-Bowl in 1986, 1987, and 1990

He has surpassed 1000 yards receiving four times.

Gary has averaged 69 catches per season over his career.

Selected in the second round of the 1984 supplemental draft.  Signed as a free agent on May 13, 1985

1990 Season:

John Madden might have described Gary in a nutshell when he said he looks like a nose guard, but plays like a wide receiver.  An annual member of the all-Madden team, its that tougher-than-nails competitiveness that has made Gary one of the game's best players.  "He is one of the greatest competitors I've ever been around," says Joe Gibbs.  "His spirit is unique."  But there's also more to Gary than just his competitive nature, there's his ability and talent.  He earned his third trip to the Pro-Bowl (1986, 1987 and 1990) last season as he finished among the league leaders in both catches and yards.  Gary finished fifth in the league in receptions (75) and fourth in receiving yards (1,112).  His 75 receptions marked the sixth straight year he's had at least 50 catches (tying Bobby Mitchell's club record) while surpassing the 1,000 -yard mark for the fourth time in five seasons.  He is now tied with Art Monk for the most 1,000-yard receiving seasons by a Redskin and only he and San Francisco's Jerry Rice have put together four 1,000-yard receiving seasons since 1986.  And over the past four years, he is second in the NFL in total receiving yardage.  In addition, Gary's 75 receptions moved him closer to Jerry Smith for fourth place on the Skins' all-time reception list.  Gary now has 415-career receptions and trails Smith's 421 catches.  Gary also moved closer to Bobby Mitchell for third place on the Skins' all time yardage receiving list.  He now has 6490 yards receiving and needs two yards to surpass Mitchell who finished his Hall of Fame career with 6491 receiving yards as a Redskin.  Gary has averaged 69 receptions a year during his career, and average which is higher than all 20 of the leading lifetime receivers.  "He's got uncanny quickness, escape speed in a small area," says receivers coach Jack Burns.  "He is extremely smart, wily, cunning, great anticipation, very good eyes, can see the whole field and defenses.  He'll fight you to the death to get open."  And once again, Gary was brilliant in 1990.  He led the team with four 100-yard receiving games with a season-high 162 yards (eight catches) and two touchdowns (both 42 yards) at Phoenix.  Other 100-yard performances included San Francisco (7/106), Detroit (11/132), and New Orleans (8/131/2).  Gary led or tied the team in catches in nine games this year and his eight touchdown receptions also let the team.  And to prove his big-p;ay capabilities, Gary was on the receiving end of eight of the 10 longest pass receptions by a Redskin, including a 53-yard touchdown catch and run against the Colts. 

Santana Moss, before there was a Santana Moss.  Very driven player who hated to lose.  Loved his fiery attitude and even though I love Monk a little more than Clark, I would have picked #84 as my number because it looks better on me than #81. Loved the whole Posse. #83 included.

Archived