Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN (video): RG III Squats 405 Pounds (M.E.T.)

bonesbr549

I knew right away what it was about. Why do folks have to pick apart every little thing on this board?

The members like the one you're quoting are doing what we ask in helping people follow the rules and avoiding penalties to their account. You would do well do pay attention.

(don't reply to this post)

8. Please use descriptive and accurate topic titles for your thread.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

every new thread is an inquisition.  do you guys pay server fees by thread count?  it's gotta be about the most anti-new-thread message board on the internet.

No it's not. No. And we're anti rule violations as a rule :P , not anti new threads.  

The OP is fine (I covered him), as is the member trying to inform him. 

You, not so much. 

From rule 18:

Members should use the Feedback Forum for any general comments you may have regarding board management on any matter. Do not engage in "hijacking" a thread by commenting on such matters in off-topic fashion within a thread.

Hopefully this is great news for the knee and it not being a problem for the remainder of his career. I know for all the power lifters and body builders out there this is not a tremendous amount of weight in their eyes but for a QB this has me very happy. His legs are looking thicker than the previous years, which hopefully means his core is nice and strong, and should help him prevent future injury. I have heard so many describe his legs as runners legs, which means lean and not very bulky, so I am hoping he has found a happy medium. Here's hoping for a healthy career and him still having tremendous speed.

WOW the replies were very interesting.  I have to say, when I shared the vid as a very positive proof of progress in RGIII being ready for the start of camp, I never imagined some of the comments up to including rules violations for not fully describing the topic. I thought the topic with a quick link to the vid was good enough.  Oh well live -n- learn.   :)   Evey body have a good one.   

every new thread is an inquisition.  do you guys pay server fees by thread count?  it's gotta be about the most anti-new-thread message board on the internet.

you wanna post on a crappy unruly message board, be my guest. 

ES is like the immaculately manicured HOA ... follow the bylaws, there will be no trouble. 

Frankly, I like my message board riff raff free ...

Makes me feel good to see that the knee appears strong, hopefully that transitions to good play on the field. I mean we already knew he was an athlete but we need him to be a quarterback, and lead the team not make highlight films.

And yes this is the most anti new thread message board, I don't like it but they have us all by the balls since its the only good Redskins message board around and the official one endorsed by the team. I mostly just grit my teeth in silence but I agree with the previous posters.

Great video and glad to see him able to support such weight.

I know a big issue when Griffin was coming into the NFL is how his knee bowed in (if I'm not mistaken) which is a little more risk for injury. I believe a few people pointed it out when he was landing from a jump in a Subway commercial and previous weightlifting videos?

Anyone tell any improvement or is something that really can't be fixed?

Makes me feel good to see that the knee appears strong, hopefully that transitions to good play on the field. I mean we already knew he was an athlete but we need him to be a quarterback, and lead the team not make highlight films.

And yes this is the most anti new thread message board, I don't like it but they have us all by the balls since its the only good Redskins message board around and the official one endorsed by the team. I mostly just grit my teeth in silence but I agree with the previous posters.

What does "anti-new thread" even mean? lol...jeebus.

Easiest thing in the world on this site is to start a new thread. All it takes is knowing the rules for doing so, and having the appreciation when others point out where you may have erred.

Great video and glad to see him able to support such weight.

I know a big issue when Griffin was coming into the NFL is how his knee bowed in (if I'm not mistaken) which is a little more risk for injury. I believe a few people pointed it out when he was landing from a jump in a Subway commercial and previous weightlifting videos?

Anyone tell any improvement or is something that really can't be fixed?

That was my thread and interview with Burgold.

I'm a CSCS and have trained some international professional rugby players and a few NFL players. Here's some opinion on the video.

1. It's not a 405 Squat, it's a (highish) Box Squat @ 405 for SIX repetitions. More impressive than a 405 standard Back Squat as it implies a greater strength reserve and greater strength endurance. You want that.

2. He completes 4 of the 6 reps without obvious valgus drift. The motion looks deliberately planned to push the knee out via hip strength, which is good, but he needs to do that perfectly and consistently. I would consider that an improvement using only the film I've had available.

3. I'd rather it be full depth to display complete control. That squat is great for speed, but he also showed vulnerability to that kind of danger when being pulled down to the ground. I'd also rather it be a FRONT squat, which is a better developer of explosive acceleration, which will constitute the majority of his runs, than a back squat, which is used for long speed applications and general strength.

Here's the video Id rather see:

Final: for his injury/recovery, height, weight, and position, it's absolutely impressive and I would take that as a cautious indicator of a safer athlete.

I'm a CSCS and have trained some international professional rugby players and a few NFL players. Here's some opinion on the video.

1. It's not a 405 Squat, it's a (highish) Box Squat @ 405 for SIX repetitions. More impressive than a 405 standard Back Squat as it implies a greater strength reserve and greater strength endurance. You want that.

2. He completes 4 of the 6 reps without obvious valgus drift. The motion looks deliberately planned to push the knee out via hip strength, which is good, but he needs to do that perfectly and consistently. I would consider that an improvement using only the film I've had available.

3. I'd rather it be full depth to display complete control. That squat is great for speed, but he also showed vulnerability to that kind of danger when being pulled down to the ground. I'd also rather it be a FRONT squat, which is a better developer of explosive acceleration, which will constitute the majority of his runs, than a back squat, which is used for long speed applications and general strength.

Final: for his injury/recovery, height, weight, and position, it's absolutely impressive and I would take that as a cautious indicator of a safer athlete.

Great insight & info.  Nice post.  HTTR

Captain,

I was discussing this video last night with a physical therapist; she mentioned something I had not considered, which was that with any weight training, there is a point of diminished returns where the stress put on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons actually outweighs any strengthening effect. She also said that, in general, many football players have overtrained, resulting in more muscle mass than their failure points (essentially, "joints" was my takeaway) can handle.

Is that a legitimate concern? And with Robert's situation, does he need special attention to avoid stressing his reconstructed knee too often?

It seemed she subscribed to the idea that any muscle, tendon, or ligament can only take x amount of force y amount of times before failing, and that limiting the "y" and the "x" numbers is crucial to long-term goals. I guess my main question is, "If this is valid, how does that threshold for maximum positive results and minimum negative results get established?"

Italics

Captain,

I was discussing this video last night with a physical therapist; she mentioned something I had not considered, which was that with any weight training, there is a point of diminished returns where the stress put on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons actually outweighs any strengthening effect. She also said that, in general, many football players have overtrained, resulting in more muscle mass than their failure points (essentially, "joints" was my takeaway) can handle.

Thats a real concept, but the limit or line where that occurs is debatable, as is how long that would take to develop a deficiency. For example, a running backs knee ligaments may long outlast his career due to concussion, repetitive trauma to other areas, or the effects of aging on his required skillset. It's likely in many cases that players, even knowledgable of such theories, would choose to operate at a higher rate of wear because the benefits in performance and earnings 'far outweigh' the damage to ligaments that may only present after their career, at a time when it is no longer of concern. I've had 11 surgeries in my semi-pro rugby career (I'm 28) and I'd have each of them again to run faster and hit harder than anyone at my position, bet.

Is that a legitimate concern? And with Robert's situation, does he need special attention to avoid stressing his reconstructed knee too often?

yes

It seemed she subscribed to the idea that any muscle, tendon, or ligament can only take x amount of force y amount of times before failing, and that limiting the "y" and the "x" numbers is crucial to long-term goals. I guess my main question is, "If this is valid, how does that threshold for maximum positive results and minimum negative results get established?"

Well in Griffins case he's doing comparatively little action with his knees than most football players. I'd say the worry of his long term goals due to wear and tear are limited. That's means he can afford to go super hard in the weight room year round, as when done right strength training shouldn't hurt an athlete. In addition, stronger muscles take the stress and pressure off joints, another point.

Thank you kindly for your response, my apologies for not remembering whom exactly responded, good to know know.

Well, it's a good start and hopefully he's doing some front squats like you've mentironed. I'm sure he's got a full regiment laid out for him and just used an more familiar squat for his video. A little "Don't worry guys, I'm back" video

We shall see soon during camp how's he's progressing especially against the Patriots. Despite it being vanilla, see his drops, footwork, reads, etc.

Thanks again for your answer!

Archived