On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

New Pierre Garcon Restaurant Spinfire at Loudoun One

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Corcaigh

Corcaigh

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

I hadn't heard of this before ... but spotted today near the Alamo Cinema/Draft House in Loudoun One, it looks like Pierre is putting his name on a salad and pizza restaurant just a couple of miles from Redskins Park.

O4Atz7G.jpg

#2 J-bomb

J-bomb

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Bad investment, imo should have just given me the money if he wanted to waste some loot!

#3 CaptainJames2004

CaptainJames2004

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Anything with pizza has my vote. I don't care who you are.

#4 Royale

Royale

The Camp Fodder

• Banned
  • 102 posts
  • Birthday:06-20-1987

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Bad investment? This is a pretty good one. If they picked the right location, that is.

#5 Robbob

Robbob

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Birthday:11-25-1975

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

I guess he won't be delivering for Paisano's anymore

#6 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business.  The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula.  His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Ex-Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, long with other teammates including Alan Ameche, built a minor fast food empire with the Gino's Hamburgers chain. Locally in DC the franchises sold Kentucky Fried Chicken along with the hamburgers.  The chain had over 300 locations before they sold out to the Marriott Corp. in 1982, which turned the stores into Roy Rogers restaurants. 

Billy Sims, ex-Sooner and Detroit Lion running back, runs a chain of 15 Billy Sims Barbecue restaurants in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mike Ditka has three Ditka Steakhouses in the Chicago area and Pittsburgh. 

At one time, there were at least three or four Joe Theismann's Restaurants in the DC area.  The one in Old Town near the King Street Metro is still going strong after 35 years..

I hope Pierre's place is a success.  But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short.  Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

Edited by Dan T., 23 May 2014 - 08:09 AM.

• TimFolk likes this

#7 TD_washingtonredskins

TD_washingtonredskins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 23,449 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Bad investment? This is a pretty good one. If they picked the right location, that is.

That's the location to pick in the Ashburn area. 

I hope Pierre's place is a success.  But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short.  Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

I think the scale matters. If it's a pizza joint that is supplementing his NFL millions, who cares? This feels different than trying to open up "Pierre's Grill" or something. 

#8 Koolblue13

Koolblue13

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Athlete with a restaurant, stupid.

Pizza joint in a good location ? Brilliant.
  • GhostofSparta likes this

#9 Enforcer_FFX

Enforcer_FFX

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Good luck to Pierre!

Nice - that's some good info, Dan T.  The former Skin I can think of that seems to have done well is Marvcus Patton.  Here's an old write-up about the restaurants he has:  http://www.capcentre...tauranteur.html

Lucky's in Springfield:  http://www.luckyssportstheatre.com/

The All American Steakhouse and Sports Theater:  http://theallamericansteakhouse.com/#

I've been to Lucky's once - it was pretty good.

#10 Corcaigh

Corcaigh

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Booming location - new 'town center' in Loudoun with movie theater and bars next door and other amenities on their way. Minor league ballpark/soccer stadium (eventually) on the same property. Many, many thousands of sports-mad kids and their families within a short drive. 

I have no idea what Pierre's commercial involvement is but he could start this whole thing up with a single game check even if he is paying for everything. It's not a fancy steak house or club with huge overhead and build out costs. With pizzas and salads, and the added cache of a big local name, seems like a modest risk.

Edited by Corcaigh, 23 May 2014 - 09:11 AM.

• nfl guru, Koolblue13, LaRonDontLikeUgly and 2 others like this

#11 Califan007

Califan007

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

SpinFire offers made-to-order individual pizzas and salads topped with your choice of the finest gourmet ingredients. Our pizzas are freshly-baked in 90 seconds in our unique revolving surface oven. SpinFire also serves homemade gelato, beer and wine.

#12 roanoker

roanoker

The Starter

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope he does well.

#13 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

McNabb's Burgers and Fries didn't last.  You placed your order, and the cashier threw it at the ground three feet in front of you.

I'm not above recycling my old jokes.

• Leonard Washington, lupin_iv, redskinpigskin and 15 others like this

#14 War Paint

War Paint

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

A lot of people give up on the gravy. Pierre, do not give up on the gravy.  Follow that advice and your restaurant will be a success.

Edited by War Paint, 23 May 2014 - 09:37 AM.

• greenspandan, SteveFromYellowstone, ZRagone and 1 other like this

#15 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Another one, sorta, is ex-Redskins kicker Mark Moseley. He joined up with Five Guys Burger and Fries fairly early on - in 2002 - as their director of franchising when they had only 5 stores in the DC area.  The chain exploded and there are now over a thousand locations nationwide.

http://www.forbes.co...aurant-chain/2/.

Good luck to Pierre!

Nice - that's some good info, Dan T.  The former Skin I can think of that seems to have done well is Marvcus Patton.  Here's an old write-up about the restaurants he has:  http://www.capcentre...tauranteur.html

Lucky's in Springfield:  http://www.luckyssportstheatre.com/

The All American Steakhouse and Sports Theater:  http://theallamericansteakhouse.com/#

I've been to Lucky's once - it was pretty good.

Huh.  I know Lucky's. It's pretty well established in Springfield.  I never knew Marvcus Patton owned it.  And his All American Steakhouse now has 5 locations including Ashburn, with two more opening this year.  Sounds like he's doing really well. 

Edited by Dan T., 23 May 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#16 Dukes and Skins

Dukes and Skins

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Booming location - new 'town center' in Loudoun with movie theater and bars next door and other amenities on their way. Minor league ballpark/soccer stadium (eventually) on the same property. Many, many thousands of sports-mad kids and their families within a short drive. 

I have no idea what Pierre's commercial involvement is but he could start this whole thing up with a single game check even if he is paying for everything. It's not a fancy steak house or club with huge overhead and build out costs. With pizzas and salads, and the added cache of a big local name, seems like a modest risk.

Yeah was just about to say Pierre picked the best possible location to start up that restaurant. One Loudoun is going to become the Reston Town Center for Loudoun

• JK79 likes this

#17 Koolblue13

Koolblue13

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

A lot of people give up on the gravy. Pierre, do not give up on the gravy. Follow that advice and your restaurant will be a success.

please tell me you're not calling sauce gravy.
  • KuNiT21 likes this

#18 HOF44

HOF44

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Come on KB it's clearly a Hotpie reference!! ;)

#19 SweetAlfred

SweetAlfred

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Birthday:12-12-1975

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

At first it looked like $88 for a pizza.. whoa

#20 Califan007

Califan007

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hmm...and notice he's not wearing his uniform in the ad or calling himself a "Redskin Great" (or even just a "Redskin")...Just his number and his name.

• MumboSauce, lupin_iv, Voice_of_Reason and 3 others like this

#21 War Paint

War Paint

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Italians call tomato sauce "Sunday Gravy" :).

Edited by War Paint, 23 May 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#22 Koolblue13

Koolblue13

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Come on KB it's clearly a Hotpie reference!! ;)

I have no idea what that is :lol:

Italians who have never been to Italy or know anyone from Italy do and it's as annoying as any other non Italian, American Italian word for food they make up, to pretend new Jersey is a part of Italy and should never be tolerated. :)

#23 War Paint

War Paint

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

I have no idea what that is :lol:
Italians who have never been to Italy or know anyone from Italy do and it's as annoying as any other non Italian, American Italian word for food they make up, to pretend new Jersey is a part of Italy and should never be tolerated. :)

Yeah, it's more of an Italian-American thing.  Still, the advise from Hot Pie should never, ever be ignored.

Edited by War Paint, 23 May 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#24 RonArtest15

RonArtest15

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Interesting.  Curious to know if he severed ties w/ Paisano's?  Seems like that would have been a more logical move (investing), rather than starting his own restaurant. 

*off topic, Jamal Mashburn has made an absolute KILLING by opening various franchise restaurants around the country.  He made enough money that he was once considered to be in an ownership group that was going to buy the Pistons. 

#25 skinsmarydu

skinsmarydu

The Role Player

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

By a friend's Brooklyn standard, the tomato sauce is marinara, the Sunday Gravy has the meats...all of 'em...very chunky, not "saucy". I describe it more like, meat with a tomato & spices thrown in... And good grief, is it awesome....I've got his mom's recipe, and it costs a lot & takes 2 days to make properly, but worth every penny and every second.

#26 War Paint

War Paint

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

By a friend's Brooklyn standard, the tomato sauce is marinara, the Sunday Gravy has the meats...all of 'em...very chunky, not "saucy". I describe it more like, meat with a tomato & spices thrown in... And good grief, is it awesome....I've got his mom's recipe, and it costs a lot & takes 2 days to make properly, but worth every penny and every second.

It can be saucy or thick.  It depends on who makes it.  Some use whole chunks of meat, some use more finely ground meat.  That said...

i+was+so+focused+on+finding+chernobyl+th

#27 Corcaigh

Corcaigh

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

And add a Redskins Grille to the restaurants opening at One Loudoun.

http://www.loudounti...ntertainment234

"an NFL-themed restaurant from an Ohio-based restaurant group that owns several other NFL-themed locations, from the Houston Texans Grille in Houston to the Jerome Bettis Grille in Pittsburgh."

#28 RFKFedEx

RFKFedEx

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

I hope he succeeds. Even Michael Jordan and Mickey Mantle couldn't keep their namesake establishments open for very long. It's a tough biz. Hopefully Pierre has a good team working for him.

#29 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

*off topic, Jamal Mashburn has made an absolute KILLING by opening various franchise restaurants around the country.  He made enough money that he was once considered to be in an ownership group that was going to buy the Pistons.

Wiki says he owns 34 Outback Steakhouse franchises and 37 Papa John's franchises. That's some big numbers... 

There are a couple categories we're talking about:

- Guys who trade on their sports fame to open a namesake restaurant or franchise like Shula's or Ditka's or Billy Sims Barbecue.

- Guys like Mashburn who buy into successful franchises (or who, like Moseley, join up with a franchise right on the cusp of wild success).  Peyton Manning falls into this category as owner of 21 Denver area Papa John's locations.  TMZ notes that 1 year after he bought in, all the locations he owns reported big jumps in sales.  (They also note that his timing was perfect - just two weeks after he bought the 21 pizza places, marijuana was legalized  in Colorado.)

http://www.tmz.com/2...hns-franchises/

Then there's Marvcus Patton, who has managed to become a successful restauranteur without even using whatever celebrity status his sporting past gave him.

#30 mossomo

mossomo

The Role Player

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business. 

Mark Moseley.  He had those bomb fries in Potomac Mills, and is now director of franchising for Five Guys.  He's the one that took them from their five dives in N.Va to the international success it is today.

#31 repo_4

repo_4

The Role Player

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

McNabb's Burgers and Fries didn't last.  You placed your order, and the cashier threw it at the ground three feet in front of you.

I'm not above recycling my old jokes.

This was great. I needed a good laught today. Kudos to you fine sir.

#32 Corcaigh

Corcaigh

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Mark Moseley.  He had those bomb fries in Potomac Mills, and is now director of franchising for Five Guys.  He's the one that took them from their five dives in N.Va to the international success it is today.

As a kicker, does he count as a sports star?  :D

• Koolblue13 likes this

#33 MWCREDSKINS

MWCREDSKINS

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Jerome Bettis has a successful restaurant in Pittsburgh.  It can happen

#34 ejay183

ejay183

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

As a kicker, does he count as a sports star?  :D

Didnt he win League MVP?

#35 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Jerome Bettis has a successful restaurant in Pittsburgh.  It can happen

There are a bunch of one-off restaurants from former sports stars.  Lists of top athlete-owned restaurants include places owned by John Elway, Brett Favre, Vince Young, Aaron Rogers and Ryan Braun, Albert Puljos, Wayne Gretsky, Ray Borque, Chris Chelios, Dan Majerle, Yao Ming, Greg Norman, Arnold Palmer...

I didn't know that Boog Powell has two barbecue places in Ocean City, Maryland.  I guess I always assumed his Camden Yards place in right field was a one-off, but it's an offshoot of his beach places.

Edited by Dan T., 24 May 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#36 SWFLSkins

SWFLSkins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,596 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business.  The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula.  His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Sadly this guy is making it...Battling with Hooters, the food is better at some locations though that is not hard to pull off....

Founded by the National Football League’s (NFL) Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos alumni, Crawford Ker, the first WingHouse opened in Largo, FL in 1994.  The Winghouse staff’s dedication and teamwork was a recipe for success.  Now, WingHouse has over 24 locations throughout Florida with plans to grow into the rest of the Southeast.

Could never order personally, lol...... Dallas Burger: two juicy 8 oz BBQ burgers topped with bacon.

Maybe I should ask for pulled pork? 

Edited by SWFLSkins, 24 May 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#37 bowhunter

bowhunter

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well, it looks like he's already trying to focus on the estrogen based customers.

Pierre Garçon @PierreGarcon 8h

They need to just ban guns period. No one should be allowed to have them.

#38 DC9

DC9

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 10,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

Good luck PG.

Honestly a little surprised/upset that there doesn't appear to be any jerk chicken or Haitian food.

#39 chaaarmndr

chaaarmndr

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

You guys are forgetting Rick Walkers Scoreboard, restaurant that he used to own in downtown Herndon. Loved going there as a kid. If I remember correctly it was only around for a few years but man it was cool. Last time I went home to Herndon it was some sort of late night party place, but can't remember the name.

What about Mosley's Burgers?

Couldn't find much on either.

"At one point in the Gibbs era, there were five Theismann's Restaurants in the area, and for a time all thrived. Their success showed his teammates and other local investors the value the Redskins name could hold in the food business."

http://www.highbeam....P2-1059367.html

http://touch.washing...paper.com/wcp/#!/entry/food-for-thought,5213ff97da27f5d9d00eaa66

#40 TimFolk

TimFolk

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business. The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula. His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Ex-Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, long with other teammates including Alan Ameche, built a minor fast food empire with the Gino's Hamburgers chain. Locally in DC the franchises sold Kentucky Fried Chicken along with the hamburgers. The chain had over 300 locations before they sold out to the Marriott Corp. in 1982, which turned the stores into Roy Rogers restaurants.

Billy Sims, ex-Sooner and Detroit Lion running back, runs a chain of 15 Billy Sims Barbecue restaurants in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mike Ditka has three Ditka Steakhouses in the Chicago area and Pittsburgh.

At one time, there were at least three or four Joe Theismann's Restaurants in the DC area. The one in Old Town near the King Street Metro is still going strong after 35 years..

I hope Pierre's place is a success. But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short. Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

Shaq makes millions from it. He owns over 100 restaurants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users