Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Lache Seastrunk (RB Baylor)

Hunter_R

This one seems to be missing. Even the kicker got one (kind of), so here's Lache's.

NFL Draft Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/lache-seastrunk?id=2543559

Analysis

Strengths Quick-footed and nifty with very good competitive speed to pull away in the open field. Deceptively fast. Keeps his feet churning on contact and can elude the first tackler and power through arm tackles. Runs low to the ground with good lower-body strength. Weaves through traffic and has a knack for hitting cutback lanes. Very good run balance to stop and start. Had the best vertical jump (41 1/2 inches) and broad jump (11-2) of any back at the combine.

Weaknesses Does not run big or keep his shoulders squared to the line. Will press and try to do too much -- can improve patience and do a better job of letting his blocks develop. Very limited career receiving production. Played in an offense that featured big running lanes and helped inflate his production. Can be tracked down from behind. Beats to the tune of his own drum and can be susceptible to hanger-ons.

Draft Projection Rounds 4-5

Bottom Line Good-sized, productive, zone runner with enough physical traits to warrant consideration as a complementary back. Benefited from an offense featuring a lot of fly sweeps and lateral runs that have not translated well to the NFL game. Overall character will require closer evaluation and can determime draft

Here's some highlights. You'll probably want to mute the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATV13gzocN0&list=TL8sjccXNV05wGeiof0IuLOjoaOKw8o3B8

I know a few have said, "Another RB?!" However, I'm not so high on Helu, Thompson, or Royster. That's without factoring the stigma of being "Shanahan Backs." On that note, I wonder how much Morris will be affected. They all seem to do worse when they leave Shanahan (even Portis).

^^ I'm still high on Helu, I think he can be a legitimate weapon. The other two, not so much.

Seastrunk is close to being my mancrush this offseason...Morris, Helu and Seastrunk would definitely be a quality RB unit in my opinion.

Those are the 3 backs I would keep as well. Thompson could replace Helu if he plays like everyone was hoping, but he seems to break easy, and he didn't do well when he had a chance. This is probably my favorite of the picks so far. Good thing the running back stock has collapsed the last couple years.

This one seems to be missing. Even the kicker got one (kind of), so here's Lache's.

NFL Draft Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/lache-seastrunk?id=2543559

Here's some highlights. You'll probably want to mute the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATV13gzocN0&list=TL8sjccXNV05wGeiof0IuLOjoaOKw8o3B8

I know a few have said, "Another RB?!" However, I'm not so high on Helu, Thompson, or Royster. That's without factoring the stigma of being "Shanahan Backs." On that note, I wonder how much Morris will be affected. They all seem to do worse when they leave Shanahan (even Portis).

Dude pulled a hammy at 3:23 in this vid and STILL outran the D for a score. 

lolwut??

Tell you what, one thing Philly taught me was speed kills. And maaaannnnnnn are we fast this year. 

Welcome to the Redskins Lache!! I for one applauded this signing and was yelling at the TV for the Redskins to take him before their pick in the 6th round. He could end up being another running back that ends up being a steal for us in the 6th round. He should compliment ALMO very well and he already has a good chemistry with RG3. I don't think Royster is on the team anymore and Helu Jr will fight out with Chris Thompson for the 3rd spot. 

The nimbleness of his feet remind me a little bit of Shady McCoy.  I LOVE this pick.  He's a legit HR threat.  I think he's going to eventually supplant Helu as the #2.  The only caveat being that he HAS to show the ability to catch the rock out of the backfield. 

Weaknesses Does not run big or keep his shoulders squared to the line. Will press and try to do too much -- can improve patience and do a better job of letting his blocks develop. Very limited career receiving production. Played in an offense that featured big running lanes and helped inflate his production. Can be tracked down from behind. Beats to the tune of his own drum and can be susceptible to hanger-ons.

Nope. 

*does his best Frank Underwood impression*

Ahem.

*turns toward audience*

Lache Seastrunk everybody, that's Lache, pronounced like Lake, the body of water.  Lake Sea...strunk.  His name piqued my interest, but his running, now that caught my attention.  He has a way to go, he fell overboard a tad in his Heisman bid, then again, most do.  It's nothing to be ashamed of, but he'll need to prove himself after his little dip.  Mr. Lache Seastrunk was a big fish in his home waters, his lakes and seas.

But he's in the ocean now, and there are sharks everywhere.

Welcome to Washington.

So I'm pumped for this guy, but I'm tempering expectations because he's doing it in a spread offense in college. 

What makes us believe this guy will translate better to the NFL than Chris Thompson?

I'm not trying to be negative, but their college highlights are very similar. 

I love Lache's game.

I wrote about him some in the draft thread, prior to him being drafted.

He reminds me of Gio, good speed, jump-cut, stutter step. He's a confident runner who's not afraid to use his wiggle.

His receiving ability is a huge question mark.

If he was a proven receiver he would have been drafted much earlier.

But his running ability? Imho the second best pure runner on the team. And I'm someone that like's Helu.

Can he return kicks?

He's certainly got speed and turn-on-a-dime acceleration

~Bang

I'm with you. After last year, I think "how's he on special teams?" is something we should be asking of every candidate.

I hope he has hands. I would love to see our offense feature a hands back, be a bit more dynamic and less dependent on play action. No need to have one back carry an insane load, and the O be so dependent on one guy, and burn him out.

Helu showed promise but looked slower to me after his double Achilles IIRC.  He was used largely as Morris was used, tough runs inside. I like Helu but expected him to be a more explosive back. I am skeptical at this point. That all said Otis Sistrunk Lache Seastrunk faces an uphill battle to steal snaps from Helu and avoid the practice squad.  But I usually root for the shiny new toy.  Forced to guess, I would say we roll Morris Helu Lache and Young.

I hope he has hands. I would love to see our offense feature a hands back, be a bit more dynamic and less dependent on play action. No need to have one back carry an insane load, and the O be so dependent on one guy, and burn him out.

Helu showed promise but looked slower to me after his double Achilles IIRC.  He was used largely as Morris was used, tough runs inside. I like Helu but expected him to be a more explosive back. I am skeptical at this point. That all said Otis Sistrunk Lache Seastrunk faces an uphill battle to steal snaps from Helu and avoid the practice squad.  But I usually root for the shiny new toy.  Forced to guess, I would say we roll Morris Helu Lache and Young.

This is exactly how I feel. I just expect more from Helu.  However, I don't feel like the past coaches used him the right way but that may have been his fault.  Seastrunk blew my mind in college though.  That dude is slippery and quick.  If we could get someone like that to run into the secondary, I'd be happy.  If Seastrunk translates to the NFL like he played in college, they should really alternate him and Morris decently often.  They both bring in awesome traits.

I disagree... in fact, I think Helu faces an uphill battle to make the roster.  You are right, he did look a touch slower last year due to his achilles injuries and he's not much more of a change of pace from Morris.  I actually expect Seastrunk to be a passing option out of the backfield.  Even though he wasn't asked to catch out of the backfield during his time at Baylor, it doesn't mean that he can't do it.

Full disclosure - I think Seastrunk is my favorite hopeful to make the roster.  I just love his enthusiasm and his level headed attitude.  He's got an awesome story.  I don't know if you had a chance to see it:

I'm a huge Baylor fan.  My wife is alum and we live 15 minutes down the road from Waco, and 15 minutes from Temple where Lache went to High School.  So, we've eagerly watched his return to Waco three years ago, his return to the field in 2012, and his first real year in 2013.  

This guy is the real deal.  He's got a very interesting running style.  He combines a lot of very lateral motion with getting up the field.  It's really something to watch.  His  "football" speed seems quite a bit faster than either his combine or pro day suggests.  He is not the type of running back that run's through a ton of contact.  But he also shouldn't be confused as someone who can only run to the edge.  You'll notice in his highlight reel that many of his touchdown runs were through the middle of the formation.  

Not sure how he'll do with pass protection.  Baylor didn't use him to that end very much due to their style of passing.  He also did not catch a lot out of the backfield.  

One thing to understand about running backs at Baylor -- Art Briles doesn't seem to go use a single back in his system as the primary back.  Not sure if it's just due to fantastic recruiting, but he's always got a stable full.  And he seems to really stay loyal to the players that have remained in the program.  Upperclassmen will usually get the turn.  

In 2012, Lache was behind Jared Salubi (Sr), and Glasco Martin (Jr).  He only really started to see playing time in the Kansas State game (toward the end of the season).   

This past season, Lache again rotated in with Glasco Martin.  Shock Linwood and Devin Chafin came quite a bit when the games got out of hand.  As a result, he never really had the opportunity to get the gaudy stats you'd really expect with his level of talent.   

In a different setting, I think he could have made a push for the Heisman.  I really think he has the talent.  

Another thing that remains to be seen is durability.  He was out for a few games this past season.  In the highlights, the TD run against OK St was actually just a cramp -- not a hamstring pull.    I question as to whether his running style in general (the shifty style, attempting to make people miss) will contribute to a limit to his availability.  

Time will tell, but I'm extremely excited to see Lache get to play for the Redskins.  

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/7/5072458/lache-seastrunk-baylor-bears

You might remember Oregon's near-disaster with Willie Lyles, the scouting analyst it paid $25,000 a few years back and who just may have steered some recruits, like one five-star Lache Seastrunk, back to Oregon. The NCAA didn't come down hard on Oregon, but Chip Kelly ended up fleeing for the NFL, and Seastrunk promptly transferred to Baylor—the nearest BCS school to his hometown of Temple, TX.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-robinson_scout_details_deal_oregon_kelly_070111

Detailed story about Lache and Chip.

Wouldn't it be nice if Lache could eventually run Kelly from the Eagles like he had a part in running him from Oregon?  Of course this time it will be by scoring TDs on the Eagles DEF.

I posted this a few days ago...

I think people are missing the boat on one of our late round picks. If you havent seen or read about Lache Seastrunk then check out his highlights. The man ran for less then 300 carries in college, sports an average yard per carry over 7 yards, was projected by CBS Sportline as the third best RB in the class with a 3rd round grade, Walter Football had him going latest in the 4th round, and even saw some one where he was a 1st rounder. He was drafted in the 6th round.

His speed is elite, he was in the Heisman Trophy discussion after the 12 season and to start the 13 year. He has his flaws namely was not used in the passing game (coach said they just didn't throw the ball to the RB at Baylor) and moves EW more so then NS at times but his jukes are impressive. He also comes with some baggage. He agreed to sign at Oregon when Chip Kelly was there but backed out and signed at Baylor. That school was penalized and fined for how they recruited him as a result

As for talent? Youtube his 70 yard rush he had on one leg after he pulled his hamstring, or just one of his ultimate highlight packages and your going to be impressed. He is elusive and fast and came to us after an Alfred Morris type fall in the draft I suspect because he doesn't catch the ball. Either way he was comparing to Chris Johnson and he even said before the combine his goal was to beat his elusive time there, He is outspoken. He didn't do that but he had the combines best scores in the verticle and high jump which shows his ability to burst off the line of scrimmage. He is a play maker and thinking about teams dealing with that and Morris its the first sign of a real Thunder Lightening package this team was lacking.

Figure I should post it again here. Now since that time of posting this I spoke with one of his teammates about him personally and was told that while all of this is true the real reason he was there in the 6th round is that he was dinged up a lot in college and teams were worried about that. I knew about the two games he missed because of this as I mentioned it above

But the dings concern me much more then before. I have tampered a bit of my excitement about him joining the team as a result. There is a lot to like here but thought I would mention this.

Archived