Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

Update #8: Final recap at end of thread.  

Update #7:

Ahmed Dixon released, 7th rounders and UDFA's that made rosters dropped to about 50%.

Update #6:

Ok folks, final cut-down day run-through of the folks I've been tracking.  A few notables:

1. most of the 7th rounders and UDFA that we tracked made teams.  There were some that didn't, that might be surprising.  Skov with the 49ers is a little surprising.  
2. The Bills picked a bunch of OL in the draft, and their first pick doesn't seem to be doing great, but their 5th and 7th rounders look like steals.
3. Very few guys listed on the official depth charts at the moment are listed as starters.  Almost all are backups.  Which is what you would expect for rookies. 

All the detail can be found in post 175.

Update #5. After 1 pre-season game, there is still some good, some less good, and some unknown.  The good news is that most of the guys who were on PUP to start training camp are back at practice.  

Only 3 payers really seem like they aren't really doing so hot yet:

Cyrus Kouandjio - (OT) Bills:  DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys:  Jace Amaro - (TE) Jets:

There are a bunch who are getting very good reviews:

Christian Jones - (LB):  Cyril Richardson - (OG) Bills: David Yankey - (OG) Vikings: Joel Bitonio - (OT) Browns: Ka'Deem Carey - (RB) Bears: Martavis Bryant - (WR) Steelers:  Pierre Desir - (CB) Browns:  Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers: Terrence Brooks - (FS) Ravens:  Timmy Jernigan - (NT) Ravens:  

Update #4: This time the FAs.  Not a lot of news, it looks like there are quite a few guys who are doing pretty well, like Talib, Revis, Nix, Ed Dickerson. A lot of guys, there's not a lot of news yet, so I'm assuming they are holding their own.  A few guys (including Hatcher) are still on the PUP list.  Andre Johnson reported to Texans camp, but is not practicing.  

I have linked to stories in post #135 where I could find them.  

As you would expect, there's some good, some not so good, and a whole lot of "nothing yet."

Update #3: Just pointing you to Post #123, where I searched for news on all of the draft picks listed, and linked articles about them.  Happy reading.  

Update #2:
I did a quick scan through 2 sources since Mini-Camps are wrapping up to see if there was anything glaring out there. (To save you some time, I'll skip to the punch-line, there wasn't. :) )The first is the transaction report from ESPN. The second is Rotowire's injury updates.

- It's not a guy the 'Skins could get, but since we are playing the Texans the first game of the season, I guess it's worth mentioning that Clowney had Hernia Surgery, and is hoping to be ready for the opener.
- Byrd Update is below. Updates seem to be consistent, and he'll be ready for Training Camp.
- I didn't see any other significant movement of players on this list, but I'll be honest, I didn't check out every one of the undrafted or 7th round guys.

So, no real news overall.

This is the last update I'm going to do until Training Camp, when I expect that there will be a lot more movement, especially from the lower round draft guys and the undreafted guys. A team isn't going to cut a draft pick BEFORE training camp, so I was really looking for mini-camp injuries.

Update #1: Byrd apparently had "minor back surgery" to correct a disc issue. The Saints hope to have him back by training camp. "In my experience, there is no such thing as minor [back] surgery." (Substituted Back for Groin), quote from Dennis Miller when he was doing MNF.) This could be nothing, but Byrd was the highest priced FA this off-season, and he's already under the knife, so I thought it deserved an update.

So ever year in FA and the draft, we all develop man-crushes on certain players, and then they either sign somewhere else or get drafted elsewhere. This is especially true in the draft, where folks fall in love with a guy, he's sitting there to be picked, we pick somebody else, and the sky falls.

This generally leads to comparisons of the intellectual capacity of our FO and a gnat with a learning disability. Sometimes this turns out to be accurate, sometimes less so.

But we generally lose track of all of those thoughts over time, so I thought I would provide this thread as a service to track the folks we didn't get. Darrellgreenie suggested it in the FA thread, and I thought it was a good idea.

HUGE thank you to DarrellGreenie and Hunter_R for helping to organize the list. I've actually kept the players who were drafted before 32 on the list, but tagged them as needing a trade up. A point was made that the 'Skins could have traded up. However, I'd discourage any belly-aching if these guys turn out to be solid players, as really the 'Skins would have had to give up quite a bit to get them.

******* UPDATED*********
Available at Pick 34:
Cyrus Kouandjio - (OT) Bills Pick Group 34
DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys Pick Group 34
Joel Bitonio - (OT) Browns Pick Group 34
Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles Pick Group 34
Marqise Lee - (WR) Jags Pick Group 34
Rashede Hageman - (DE) Falcons Pick Group 34
Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 34

Available at pick 47
Jace Amaro - (TE) Jets Pick Group 47
Timmy Jernigan - (NT) Ravens Pick Group 47
Troy Nicklas - (TE) Cardinals Pick Group 47

Available at pick 78
Bill Turner - (OG) Dolphins Pick Group 78
Gabe Jackson - (OG) Raiders Pick Group 78
Louis Nix - (NT) Texans Pick Group 78
Terrence Brooks - (FS) Ravens Pick Group 78

Available at pick 102
Ka'Deem Carey - (RB) Bears Pick Group 102
Martavis Bryant - (WR) Steelers Pick Group 102
Pierre Desir - (CB) Browns Pick Group 102

Available at pick 142
Avery Williamson - (ILB) Titans Pick Group 142
Chris Smith - (OLB) Jags Pick Group 142
Cyril Richardson - (OG) Bills Pick Group 142
David Yankey - (OG) Vikings Pick Group 142
John Urschel - (OG) Ravens Pick Group 142

Available at pick 186
Daniel McCullers - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 186

Available at pick 217
Ahmad Dixon - (S) Cowboys Pick Group 217
Jeff Janis - (WR) Packers Pick Group 217
Jeremy Gallion - (WR) Pats Pick Group 217
Michael Campanaro - (WR) Ravens Pick Group 217
Michael Sam - (DE) Rams Pick Group 217
Seantrel Henderson - (OT) Bills Pick Group 217
Yamin Smallwood - () Pick Group 217

Needed a trade up to get:
Jimmie Ward - (S) 49ers Pick Group Trade Up
Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles Pick Group Trade Up
Kyle Fuller - (CB) Bears Pick Group Trade Up
Ryan Shazier - (LB) Steelers Pick Group Trade Up
Xavier Su'a-filo - (OG) Texans Pick Group Trade Up

Went undrafted, signed with another team as an UDFA
Alex Bazzie - () Pick Group Undrafted
Brandon Coleman - (WR) Saints Pick Group Undrafted
Christian Jones - (LB) Bears Pick Group Undrafted
Craig Loston - (S) Pick Group Undrafted
James Hurst - (OT) Ravens Pick Group Undrafted
Shane Skov - (LB) 49ers Pick Group Undrafted

Free Agents:

Mack - (CB) Browns
Revis - (CB) Pats
Talib - (CB) Broncos
Al Woods - (DT) Titans
Vance Walker - (DT) Chiefs
Antoine Bethea - (FS) 49ers
Byrd - (FS) Saints
Chris Clemons - (FS) Texans
Mitchell - (FS) Steelers
Brandon Spikes - (ILB) Bills
Dekoda Watson - (ILB) Jags
Vincent Rey - (ILB) Bengals
Geoff Schwarts - (OG) Giants
Travelle Wharton - (OG) Panthers
Willie Colon - (OG) Jets
Penn - (OT) Raiders
Tyson Clabo - (OT)
Sproles - (RB) Eagles
Daniels - (TE) Ravens
Ed Dickson - (TE) Panthers
Pitta - (TE) Ravnes
Andre Johnson - (WR) Texans
Hakeem Nicks - (WR) Colts
Ted Ginn - (WR) Cards

Jared Abbrederis.

Race card, blah blah...but I truly think that if his pigmentation was darker, Abbederis would have been a 2nd round pick. I would have much preferred him to Ryan Grant.

It has nothing to do with his skin color, he has serious concussion concerns, and in this deep WR class there was no reason to take a guy with those risks and a fairly run-of-the-mill skill-set over others.

My number 1 was Xavier Su'a-filo (OG), but the Skins would have had to trade up for him.

Otherwise, I want to see how Stephon Tuitt (DT) turns out.

I might as well mention them now, as they'll probably show up later in the thread. Timmy Jernigan (NT), Louis Nix (NT), Jace Amaro (TE), Joel Bitonio (OT), and Cyrus Ksomthingsomthingsomthing (OT).

I'm just gonna pull and repost from the FA thread, just so its not all after the fact:

...Anyway here's another off-season mock:.....

Outside FA:

WR Hakeem Nicks

OG Travelle Wharton

DE Vance Walker

ILB Brandon Spikes

ILB Dekoda Watson

NT/DE Al Woods

FS Ryan Clark

The Hatcher signing was my favorite so I don't have anything against but I would have gone after Vance first. While Hatcher is a little better at applying pressure Vance is more stout and is both younger and cheaper:

Vance Walker-Signed by the Chiefs

3 yr(s) / $10,020,000 + 3 mil bonus

Al Woods-who qiuetly signed with the Titans

2 yr(s) / $4,000,000

Brandon Spikes-would play the 'Jack/Buck' SILB and either Rey or Watson as the 'Mack' WILB

1 yr(s) / $3,250,000

Vincent Rey ILB-retained by the Bengals

2 yr(s) / $4,200,000

Dekoda Watson ILB-quietly signed by the Jags

3 yr(s) / $6,250,000

The FO actually signed Clark, but to make it interesting I also liked Chris Clemons/Antoine Bethea

Bethea-4 yr(s) / $21,000,000

Clemons-2 yr(s) / $2,700,000

Offense:

Hakeem Nicks-Although he may/may not agreed to sign here

1 yr(s) / $3,975,000

Grudes offense regularly uses formations that feature 2 pass catching TEs. Ed Dickson has great physical skillset for the position and has posted decent production numbers. I think it more likely to get good production from Dickson then it is for any TE taken after the 3rd round.

Ed Dickson-

1 yr(s) / $795,000

My OGs are still available:

Travelle Wharton and Willie Colon

Jerome Simpson-

1 yr(s) / $1,000,000

Troy Nicklas

Jeff Janis

Gabe Jackson

Regarding Jeff Janis, Jared Abredaris, and Davante Adams...

I would think its hard for them to keep all three, and with Janis being the lowest pick theres a chance he gets cut.

Locks are Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and probably Boykins. Of course they could keep all of them and be at 6.

But man do I envy Packer's FO.

I was Desir guy since I saw a small school CB ranked in March. I'm sure Breeland grades equal or better. But after watching documentary too, I really would have liked Desir.

Being die hard ND fan, nix for free in third wouldn't have been bad

Nix in the 3rd.  John Urschel in the 5th...I know we already drafted Spencer Long, and Penn State bias aside, I think it would have been neat to have a player on the team who has been published for writing papers on things like celestial mechanics.  He would have made everyone smarter if nothing else.

Finally, Michael Sam in the 7th.  Maybe more from an ownership standpoint, but for all the jersey sales and revenue he'd bring in, not to mention being a potential special teams contributor...I'd have taken that in a heartbeat over a 3rd string TE and a kicker.

Otherwise, I want to see how Stephon Tuitt (DT) turns out.

I was rooting so hard for Tuitt to fall one more spot.  Kinda wished that we had traded with Atlanta instead of Dallas.  Would have been a trade down of only 7 spots, but I'm sure we got a better deal from Dallas.

Updated

47-Morgan Moses reached and drafted for need instead to take: Trent Murphy
66-Martavis Bryant got the guy I wanted at 47 at 66 nice pick: Morgan Moses
78-Martavis Bryant Steelers @ 118 guy --Terrence Brooks went 1 pick after Spencer Long OG
102-Dez Southward Falcons jumped up and stole my gut at pick 68 Kelcy Quarles--Bashaud Breeland CB
142-Christian Kirksey I LOVED Kirksey Browns jumped up got him at 71 Kevin Pierre-Louis hawks got him at 132-Kelcy Quarles--Ryan Grant WR
178-Logan Thomas Bruce Arians nabs the best arm talent in the draft at 120.
217-Prince Shembofalcons in the 4th
Priority UDFA-Tajh Boyd QB, Damien Williams RB, Marion Grice RB, Quincy Enunwa WR

I tried to keep active with this list adjusting it real time.

I'll try and post a list that keeps it real based only on the picks that were already selected not based on knowing how the whole draft played out if that makes sense.

Great start. I'll compile the names into The OP tomorrow.

Then we wait. :)

One thing I thought about though is the fan base wanted a lot of receivers, Nix being one, and we ended up with Jackson. I'm very interested to track the two to see which one ended up being better. Though I think most would agree that Jackson over Nix doesn't look that bad in hindsight.

Oh man can't wait for who we take next year in the first round. Finally.

I hope we're picking in the 20s

Archived