Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

I was totally on board with taking a chance on the Vols OT Antonio Richardson.

Talent alone was worth a late rounder or at least signing as an UDFA.  That knee may not be nice to him.  He'll probably be IR'd, which sometimes may help these talented late rounders.

Signed with the Vikings i believe.

Are we just posting/talking about prospects that we liked?

LBs-

Christian Kirksey ILB

Kevin Pierre-Louis ILB

Are the guys listed in the OP players we wish had been drafted/signed instead of who we did draft/sign...or just additional players we liked as well?

And any players that were drafted before #34 should be excluded from the list imo...

Wow, that draft list is huge.

Maybe players selected before pick 34 should be excluded?

Ok, the original intention really was to track guys which spark the conversation, "Damn it, we could have had that guy but our FO **** the bed and selected that loser instead"  So, guys that we could have gotten, and didn't.  That's easier to figure out in the draft, because you know the guys who were available when you selected.  But there were some man-crushes that caused a lot of strife when they signed elsewhere in FA as well.

So I'll go through the list and remove the draft picks that were before #34 (though if somebody wanted to help me on that, I would greatly appreciate it. :) )

One thing I noticed when I was collating all of these picks is that there are several UDFA and late round picks in the draft section. It will be interesting to see how many of them actually make teams.  

I don't mind tracking prospects, but honestly, the list is a bit long, and I'd like to pair it down a little to maybe just the reasonable group that people are interested in. 

BPA.

I wish we'd gotten that guy.

Hail.

Dude, I think you need to hit a pub and have a few drinks.  I get the feeling that the 'Skins could have drafted Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Anthony Munoz and Deacon Jones and you'd still be moaning about something.

Relax. It's not as bad as it might seem.  

I must be missing something but I don't know why people were impressed with Shayne Skov, he is slow and just okay. He was overrated by some fans IMO.

I know we signed Cody Hoffman as a UDFA, but why not draft him instead of drafting TE Ted Bolser or Zach Hocker in the 7th round?

Yea I didn't see what the big deal was about Skov nor Borland. I played MLB and just didn't see "IT" in them.

These picks were gone before pick 47:

DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys

Jimmie Ward - (S) 49ers

Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles

Kyle Fuller - (CB) Bears

Marqise Lee - (WR) Jags

Rashede Hageman - (DE) Falcons

Ryan Shazier - (LB) Steelers

Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers

Xavier Su'a-filo - (OG) Texans

It would be cool if people could put their name on their guys that way its easy to point the finger at me them later

As I'm reading through this thread, I'm thinking many of the complaints we saw about our picks on draft day reflect the complainers' disappointment in not picking "that guy" more than they do any real problem with the guy we did pick.

As I'm reading through this thread, I'm thinking many of the complaints we saw about our picks on draft day reflect the complainers' disappointment in not picking "that guy" more than they do any real problem with the guy we did pick.

I think this is very true.

I also think that there is often a lot of hyperventilating about 6th and 7th round picks because folks have their own guy. And then a lot of times neither guy, either our pick or the one they wanted, actually makes a 53 man roster.

I took the liberty of categorizing the draft picks. I also removed the picks before the original second rounder.

Needed Pick 34 (Original):

Cyrus Kouandjio - (OT) Bills

DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys

Joel Bitonio - (OT) Browns

Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles

Marqise Lee - (WR) Jags

Rashede Hageman - (DE) Falcons

Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers

Round 2: Pick 47 (Cowboys):

Jace Amaro - (TE) Jets

Timmy Jernigan - (NT) Ravens

Troy Nicklas - (TE) Cardinals

Round 3: Pick 78 (Cowboys):

Gabe Jackson - (OG) Raiders

Louis Nix - (NT) Texans

Terrence Brooks - (FS) Ravens

Round 4:

Ka'Deem Carey - (RB) Bears

Martavis Bryant - (WR) Steelers

Pierre Desir - (CB) Browns

Round 5:

Avery Williamson - (ILB) Titans

Cyril Richardson - (OG) Bills

David Yankey - (OG) Vikings

John Urschel - (OG) Ravens

Round 6:

Daniel McCullers - (DT) Steelers

Round 7:

Ahmad Dixon - (S) Cowboys

Jeff Janis - (WR) Packers

Jeremy Gallion - (WR) Pats

Michael Campanaro - (WR) Ravens

Michael Sam - (DE) Rams

Seantrel Henderson - (OT) Bills

Yamin Smallwood - ()

Undrafted:

Alex Bazzie - ()

Brandon Coleman - (WR) Saints

Christian Jones - (LB) Bears

Craig Loston - (S)

James Hurst - (OT) Ravens

Shane Skov - (LB) 49ers

FAs the FO unofficially had interest in:

Byrd\ - (FS) Saints

Mitchell - (FS) Steelers

Penn - (OT) Raiders

Sproles - (RB) Eagles

Talib - (CB) Broncos

From FA:

Al Woods - (DT) Titans
DG

Antoine Bethea - (FS) 49ers
DG

Brandon Spikes - (ILB) Bills
DG

Chris Clemons - (FS) Texans
DG

Daniels - (TE) Ravens

Dekoda Watson - (ILB) Jags
DG

Ed Dickson - (TE) Panthers
DG

Hakeem Nicks - (WR) Colts
DG

Mack - (CB) Browns

Pitta - (TE) Ravnes

Revis - (CB) Pats

Travelle Wharton - (OG) Panthers
DG

Tyson Clabo - (OT)
DG

Vance Walker - (DT) Chiefs
DG

Vincent Rey - (ILB) Bengals
DG

Willie Colon - (OG) Jets
DG

I didn't want the Redskins to draft him but I hate the fact that the Giants drafted Andre Williams in the 4th round. He reminds me of Alfred Morris when watching his tape and I will bet he has a very good year for the Giants, he is just the kind of RB the Giants needed and add him to all the offensive lineman they brought in as free agents and the Giants might have a running game back. .

I was surprised we took so few defensive players, seeing as we had so many issues there.

My regrets are passing on Nix in the 3rd and taking Long, and then missing a Guard, Yankey in the 5th instead.

We could have had:

2 - OLB - Murphy

3a - OT - Moses

3b - NT - Nix

4 - CB - Breeland (or a number of evenly matched CB eg Desir, McGill I think)

5 - OG - Yankey

6 - RB - Seastrunk

7a - S - Dixon

7b - ILB Smallwood or the top punter, or maybe a punter who can kickoff

Now that's a draft!

In free agency the list of players "I wanted" was short. Not that we didn't need players, but I felt like we needed multiple players and not just one big name FA. 

WR Ted Ginn - specifically for KR duties.

OG Geoff Schwartz

S - Chris Clemons

In the draft, my top three "Wanted" players were chosen in the 1st round.

LB Ryan Shazier

S Deone Bucannon

CB Bradley Roby

My 4th choice was none other than LB Trent Murphy followed by 

LB Jerrimiah Attaochu

RB Bishop Sankey

WR Cody Latimer 

S Dez Southward

CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

WR Quincy Enunwa

QB Logan Thomas

ALL: OP is updated with the information from DG and Hunter_R, as well as a few additional from other posters.

If anybody hears of any of the UDFA's getting cut (already), please post in the thread, I'll update the OP.  I plan to go back look for statuses on guys at the following times:

1. During Training Camp

2. After Final Roster cuts

3. 4 times during the season. 

But if you hear of anything for any of these guys prior, let me know, I'll post the details. 

Why? There are teams who trade up and the Skins had that option..

Fair point. I included. HOWEVER, I don't think it would be very fair to belly-ache too much if a mid-first round guy turned out to be a stud.  Sure, the 'Skins could have traded up.  But that would have cost them ammunition they really didn't have. 

I think everyone should put their name or initials next to their choices.

I think it's going to be obvious looking through the thread who wanted who.  :) I wish there was an easier way to track it.  

Archived