Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quarterbacks raining out of the top ten, where might they fall?

Veretax

So I was looking at the draft order in the first round, and the thought occurred to me.  I heard on Mike and Mike this morning, where Mel was saying, that if someone like Johnny Manziel was not taken in the top 8, he was asking the question where he might end up.

So I looked at the draft order

Houston - may wait to 2nd round?
St Louis - Bradford 
Jax - Henne (too many busts at this position lately?)
Cleveland - Hoyer (may trade for Cousins?)
Oakland - Schaub
Atlanta - Ryan
Tampa - Glennon/McCown
Minnesota - Cassel/Ponder
Buffalo - EJ Manuel
Detroit - Stafford

So if those top ten don't want a first Round Quarterback  If no Quarterback is taken in the top ten of the first round, and they start to slide where to do they fall?  

More importantly, where does Johnny Manziel end up?  Are there any places that would make us as Skins fans chuckle?

11. Tennessee Titans - Locker ?
12. New York Giants - Eli (Nassib last year)
13. St. Louis Rams 
14. Chicago Bears - Cutler
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Big Ben ?
16. Dallas Cowboys - Romo ?
17. Baltimore Ravens - Flacco
18. New York Jets - Geno Smith/Vick
19. Miami Dolphins - Tannehill
20. Arizona Cardinals - Palmer 
21. Green Bay Packers - Rodgers
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Foles
23. Kansas City Chiefs - Alex Smith
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton
25. San Diego Chargers - Rivers
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) 
27. New Orleans Saints - Brees
28. Carolina Panthers - Newton
29. New England Patriots - Brady
30. San Francisco 49ers - Kaepernick
31. Denver Broncos - Manning
32. Seattle Seahawks - Russel

So the teams I think may be positioned to take a QB would be
11. Titans
13. St. Louis Rams 
14. Chicago Bears - Cutler
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Big Ben ?
16. Dallas Cowboys - Romo ?
21. Green Bay Packers - Rodgers
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) 
27. New Orleans Saints - Brees
29. New England Patriots - Brady

Titans don't have a proven starter in Locker, but it might be too soon to try and replace the guy.

Rams, have 2 picks, so they could take a flyer on someone, in case they are worried about 
Bradford. I think they would better served in strengthning that OL and Defense though

Chicago still have Cutler under contract for a while, so they could afford to take a guy and sit him a year or two in case Cutler turns out to not be worth it.

Pittsburgh yes they love Big Ben, but this is around the same position in the draft that they took Big ben, and had no plans to start him till the other two QBs went down.  So it might fit a pattern.

Dallas ??  Yes Romo is 34.  Yes they restructred his contract http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10548712/dallas-cowboys-restructuring-contracts-tony-romo-sean-lee-salary-cap he has 5 years left on the contract.  But You have to wonder how long they will stick with Romo, given how they cut DeMarcus ware this last year.  So it may make sense to draft a QB to groom to potentially replace Romo at some point.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh, both took their current Quarterbacks somewhat unexpectedly, and Green Bay took Rodgers around this same place, and sat him for several years.  That experiment turned out well.  So who is ready to replace Rodgers in a few years?  Surely not Matt Flynn.

Saints - Brees is 35 now.  You have to wonder how much longer he will hold on in NO.  A pick at this slot could be a good place to get a young QB to begin to groom to replace brees.

NE is notorious for drafting and stashing brady backups for a while.  But how much longer will brady keep playing?  Hard to say.

So this has me pondering these scenarios, and I'm curious what you guys think. Hear are my questions.

1. So what do you guys think, which Teams are most likely to take a QB if NONE are taking a QB in the top 10?  

2.Of the teams outside the top 10, are there any that if they took a QB, or a particular QB (say Manziel), would raise eyebrows for us as Skins fans?

I know many of us were surprised that Rodgers fell where he did. the year Geno Smith came out he fell out of the first round entirely, so what if that scenario may happen again this year?

What do you guys think? I'm curious to your speculation, because in theory if this happens it could impact teams we play this year or next.

11. Tennessee Titans - I'd say they would definitely be interested in a QB. I would say Locker is closer to being in competition for his job than the definite starter.

12. New York Giants - Very possibly also looking for a QB, likely just a backup, but if Eli keeps playing like he did last year, you can't say his job is all that safe. Nassib couldn't beat out Painter for the backup job, and now Josh Freeman has been signed. This says to me they don't trust Nassib. 

13. St. Louis Rams- You also have to think they are in a similar situation to the Titans. Bradford has a huge contract and all, but he has far from proven he is their franchise QB. Bad record after bad record in a division with the super bowl champs, and the Niners who go to the conference game seemingly every year now, they have to step it up if they don't want to be left behind.  I'm not ready to call Bradford a flop, I'm just going to say he has looked mediocre in the games I have seen. 

14. Chicago Bears - After all I heard during the offseason about the situation they were in, and the

inconsistent play we've seen from Cutler, I don't believe his job is all that safe. To have a bit more leverage against him, they may decide to get a young backup to takeover for him.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - I would definitely say they could be in the market for a backup. Ben won't be around forever, especially with the hits he's been taking. 

16. Dallas Cowboys - I wouldn't put it past them to take Manziel if he falls to them. 

17. Baltimore Ravens - They just gave big bucks to Flacco. I don't see them drafting a QB, though from a google search, it seems they will be interested after all. I wouldn't expect a first rounder, though. 

18. New York Jets - I can say I would eliminate the Jets from any QB interest. Geno and Vick should have them set.

19. Miami Dolphins - I think it's a bit too early to draft another young QB. They seem pretty content with Tannehill for now, and he's still learning. Matt Moore has proven he can step in and win games as a backup. 

20. Arizona Cardinals - I would say they should, but from what I've seen, they're not interested in drafting a QB. 

21. Green Bay Packers - I don't see Rodgers going anywhere any time soon, and they have kind of weird voodoo going on with Matt Flynn actually being able to play football there. I would say they are set. 

22. Philadelphia Eagles - The Eagles have Foles, Sanchez, and Barkley...which I personally don't think it very impressive. However, they have drafted two high prospect QBs for two years in a row. I don't think they'll make it three...especially not in round one. 

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Alex Smith, Chase Daniel, Tyler Bray. Seems fine to me. Not overly impressive, but Andy is making it work. 

24. Cincinnati Bengals - The Bengals have been one of the most disappointing teams in the NFL for the past couple years. They raised the bar for their expectations when they drafted Dalton and had that great year, and ever since they have just seemed to bog down like the Texans have. They signed Campbell, but we all know he isn't a capable starter, and is barely a backup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB drafted. I wouldn't expect a first rounder, but it could happen. 

25. San Diego Chargers - Rivers is still elite. They need a backup, but I wouldn't expect a first rounder. 

26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts)- The second of two teams with two first rounders that wouldn't surprise me if they took a quarterback. I expect them to either draft a QB with one of their firsts or trade for Cousins. 

27. New Orleans Saints - Brees needs a capable backup that could possibly take over for him in the future. This screams of the Packers Rodgers/Favre situation.

28. Carolina Panthers - Like us, the Panthers have a QB that tends to take some risks and some hits. They need a backup just in case. I wouldn't say a first round QB would be a bad idea if one fell this far. This would really depend on BPA, to me. 

29. New England Patriots - Brady hasn't mentioned retirement yet, and Mallet is behind him. A first round QB would shock me. 

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kaepernick is playing good enough to get them to the conference

championship consistently. If something happens with this deal in the offseason, Gabbert is behind him. I don't think Gabbert is a starter, but Harbaugh works magic with QBs from what I've seen, so who knows. I wouldn't expect a first round QB by any means. 

31. Denver Broncos - I don't have much faith in Osweiler, but apparently the Broncos do. Slim to none chance they draft a QB high, if at all. 

32. Seattle Seahawks - Just got Pryor behind Wilson, who annoying never seems to get hit. Another team that I would say is set as far as the QB situation. 

I've had the vibe for quite awhile that the Cowboys will walk out of this draft with one of the higher profile QBs like Manziel or Bridgewater.  I think the Cowboys will struggle some this season and the fans will be calling for their rookie QB to take over later in the season. 

I appreciate your post SoG.

I mostly agree with it with a few exceptions, but nothing major.

I've had the vibe for quite awhile that the Cowboys will walk out of this draft with one of the higher profile QBs like Manziel or Bridgewater.  I think the Cowboys will struggle some this season and the fans will be calling for their rookie QB to take over later in the season. 

The cowboys I think are a huge dark horse for one of the top QBs.  We know Romo is Romo.  Who would have thought they'd cut Demarcus ware like that????   If Romo doesn't produce this year, if they have another losing year.  I suspect Garrett is DONE.  That may mean a new coach, and maybe it would be nice to have a young QB already in the stable to attract a better HC candidate (who would that be???? No idea) Romo is at least servicable I think.   Can you imagine the fans calling for Manziel at some point? LOL

The similarities between Manziel and Tebow are looking very similar to me right now. 

Both are/were elite college QBs that are absolute fan favorites.

Both are/were for the most part projected not to transition well to the NFL. 

Both have a circus of media surrounding them because of their popularity. 

Tebow kept being projected to go to a Florida team because of his rabid fanbase in Florida. Manziel keeps being projected to go to a Texas team because of his rabid fanbase there. 

Major difference: Tebow was known for his good character and leadership. Manziel seems to be a frat boy type player that is likely to have some off the field issues, correct me if I'm wrong.

Whoever takes him doesn't have me scared. Don't care where he goes. I would like to be able to root for him because I like that playing style and everybody loves an underdog. But if he goes in division, I'll also be glad to see him fail, if that makes sense. 

Hopefully one to pick 34 where some team pulls off a stupid trade up move with the Redskins to draft him and they end up with a ton of picks for trading down!

For one split second, I thought you were going to say that hopefully one would fall that low so we could pick him. I know you of all people wouldn't say it, but this website has scarred me lol

For one split second, I thought you were going to say that hopefully one would fall that low so we could pick him. I know you of all people wouldn't say it, but this website has scarred me lol

I would pick a QB at 34

To trade for more picks :D

Whoever takes him doesn't have me scared. Don't care where he goes. I would like to be able to root for him because I like that playing style and everybody loves an underdog. But if he goes in division, I'll also be glad to see him fail, if that makes sense. 

That makes total sense, and I agree with you.  I'm very interested to see what the kid can do at the NFL level, but I will be rooting for him to be out in a few years like Tebow if he ends up on a division rival! :)

I think Derek Carr, Blake Bortles (even though I don't think much of him) and Manziel are going in the 1st.

For some reason I see Teddy Bridgewater as a fit for Houston.

I like Mettenberger alot, I think he's the 3rd best QB in the draft. I see him as a fit for the Cardinals/Ravens.

I think Derek Carr, Blake Bortles (even though I don't think much of him) and Manziel are going in the 1st.

For some reason I see Teddy Bridgewater as a fit for Houston.

I like Mettenberger alot, I think he's the 3rd best QB in the draft. I see him as a fit for the Cardinals/Ravens.

I can definitely see Carr and Manziel going in the first round, but I'm not so sure about BB.  But, there is a reason I'm on a message board and not preparing for the draft in a board room somewhere. :)

If the QBs drop out of the top 10 I think trades will heat up at the bottom of the 1st rd.  San Diego at #25 is in prim position for a trade down if a team wants to jump ahead of Cleveland at #26.  Teams also might look to jump ahead of Houston at #33.  

New England at #29 is also interesting.  They've been working out all the QB prospects.  With Brady's window closing I would think they will draft a player that will help them now or trade down.  But you never know with Belicheck.   He has more job security then any coach in the league and wouldn't be afraid to take a QB in the 1st.

New England at #29 is also interesting.  They've been working out all the QB prospects.  With Brady's window closing I would think they will draft a player that will help them now or trade down.  But you never know with Belicheck.   He has more job security then any coach in the league and wouldn't be afraid to take a QB in the 1st.

I really think that when Brady is done, Belicheck will retire with him, at least as a coach.  Maybe he'll move to a FO position.

I can definitely see Carr and Manziel going in the first round, but I'm not so sure about BB.  But, there is a reason I'm on a message board and not preparing for the draft in a board room somewhere.

I'm not a fan of Bortles either but sports media seem to be enamoured......

New England at #29 is also interesting.  They've been working out all the QB prospects.  With Brady's window closing I would think they will draft a player that will help them now or trade down.

I think the Pats are gonna re-sign Mallett next year and continue to groom him as the future replacement for Brady.

Mallett can really throw the ball, easily better arm then Brady. Hopefully he's been learning...

I really think that when Brady is done, Belicheck will retire with him, at least as a coach.  Maybe he'll move to a FO position.

Belichick's a lifer.  I don't see him retiring unless it's because of health issues.  Maybe he would move into a FO position but he's so hands on I don't think he could stay away from the sideline.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think Johnny football won't go to dallass.  I actually predict he goes to Clevland at #22. 

I also think the Vikings trade with Seattle and take Bridgewater at #32. 

Don't forget Jax.  They will probably do something stupid like taking Bortles at #3.

Anyone want to make some wagers?

Archived