Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Ryan Kerrigan 5th Year Option talk?

TexasSkinsFan

There's a really good explanation at OverTheCap concerning the Rookie option.  Basically, Ryan would hit them at about $7M if exercised so their thinking is probably more along the lines of a long term deal with a lower annual salary or even a tag if they wanted to later. 

It probably behooves the FO not to exercise the option in terms of negotiating a long term contract because they would then be looking at trying to deal his salary down from the option year of $7M. If you think Kerrigan is going to cost more than the $7m to sign him then the option makes sense (JJ Watt had his exercised. That was a no brainer). If you think he is closer to a $5M @ year guy - then wait and negotiate.

Anyway, here is the link: http://overthecap.com/rookie-option-updates/

Also if a new deal includes an existing option year you can normally add 1 year to the pro ration for bonus money. I am not sure if this applies to how the rookie contracts are structured but it is a team option, which is a requirement versus a player option.

IMO - don't exercise and wait to negotiate. 

I doubt it is going to be around $7million it will be much closer to $5 or less because it is the AVERAGE of the top 25 at the position not including the top 3 .... it is a no brainer but why do i get the feeling this is going to be another one of those is Brian Orakpo the most over ratered redskin .... threads

is this really Kerrigan's 4th year already? time flies when you suck

No kidding. It's easy to blur together entire bad seasons when there aren't very many good things to remember. Whereas I still remember some games from Griffin's rookie year like it was yesterday.

No kidding. It's easy to blur together entire bad seasons when there aren't very many good things to remember. Whereas I still remember some games from Griffin's rookie year like it was yesterday.

It's crazy that next year will be 21st season watching the skins.  Besides 99, 05,07, 12 everything has been garbage?

To be fair, in 05 and 07 they were decent in the beginning and bad in the middle before going on a 5 and 4 game winning streak to end the season.

Yeah I was getting ready to say that in '05 particular, we were close to starting 4-0. Had one of the top offenses and defenses. The problem was that we were .500 in October, and went 1-3 in November

Are there people who really think Kerrigan sucks?

Name another player on defense who's made the plays that he has made over the past few years while collecting 24.5 Sacks in the past 3 seasons and a probowl season? Its only one season at 5 Million a year. They need to extend that olive branch or have no chance at long term deal I think. he is worth that

I know do you want to cut my enjoyment even more :P

The first 6 of the 2005 season was a pretty good time.  4-2 including our first blow-out win in a long time.  Even the two losses were close.  Interesting now that I looked at it, as the first 6 in 2007 was also a good time.  It was really just the last 4 games of 2007 that was a great time.  The first part of 2012 was fun because it looked like we finally found an offense.  First great offense we'd fielded in over a decade!

Name another player on defense who's made the plays that he has made over the past few years while collecting 24.5 Sacks a year and a probowl season? Its only one season at 5 Million a year. They need to extend that olive brach or have no chance at long term deal I think. he is worth that

That is part of why you really don't want to pick up the option.  Picking up the option tends to screw the player over.  In any case, if you have to pick up the option, the player is probably leaving as soon as he can.

I don't understand DT, how is paying a man between the 5th and 25the highest paid at his position is insulting to anyone outside of the rare elite player? Seems like a good gesture to working the players contract long term because it says they want him here. The only news out of all the league negative about this is regarding Nick Farley who is a disappointment in Detroit. Every other player to have his name called seems fine with it as they knew about this when they were drafted. If they performed well they would get a 5th year. If they didn't they wouldn't. Kerrigan has 8.5 Sacks a season since joining the team with and without.Orakpo and single handily won a couple of games, He has to be given this option

I think the player option is similar to the franchise tag.  Long term deals are more beneficial for both parties (if both parties want to stay together).

I would be shocked if Kerrigan goes anywhere.  I expect we will extend him when the time is right.  Also, I expect a bump in his production this year.  He played hurt for most of the season.

Name another player on defense who's made the plays that he has made over the past few years while collecting 24.5 Sacks a year and a probowl season? Its only one season at 5 Million a year. They need to extend that olive brach or have no chance at long term deal I think. he is worth that

Holy cow! Yeah, I would say he is worth $7M/year... :lol:

I doubt it is going to be around $7million it will be much closer to $5 or less because it is the AVERAGE of the top 25 at the position not including the top 3 .... it is a no brainer but why do i get the feeling this is going to be another one of those is Brian Orakpo the most over ratered redskin .... threads

Here is a link to OverTheCap concerning Ryans option frigure: http://overthecap.com/rookie-option-updates/

If it does I am going to ask it be closed. Ryan Kerrigan is my favorite defensive player on the team now and dont believe he isnt worth offering this to. When all of the topics lately are how the Redskins are going to unleash the RnR duo 7 million for one year is going to look cheap. They need to get this done

• 2 weeks later...

Archived