Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pros and Cons of Signing Terrell Pryor

FunBunch7

I haven't seen this posted so I thought I'd take a stab... merge if need be...

Okay, he's a poor man's RG3.  But if RG3 goes down God forbid, and our backup comes in, it is basically a completely different offense.  I love Kirk Cousins, obviously... he won the game in 12' versus Baltimore and did all we needed him to do against Cleveland... last yr versus Atlanta was great... but I think it is VERY possible he gets traded on or before draft day...

That being said, if RG3 goes down I could see us keeping the same offensive dynamic if Pryor came in.  Yes, we'd lose production in the passing game, but we'd keep the same basic game plan.  If Cousins is gone I don't get too excited about McCoy/Grossman... Pryor would be a wild card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAG3SQy8Dss

HTTR

Even though Pryor wants to start there aren't many opportunities for a player released in April to get "handed the keys".  He can certainly go to a team that has a shaky QB situation OR, roll the dice on a teams whose QB is "susceptible" to injury... Kirk is going to cash in because of it... at some point... 

HTTR

Pros: He has two arms, and two legs.

Cons: We already have 3 QBs.  His 69.1 QB rating last year put him 36th among QBs...In fact the only QBs worse than him in the NFL in the past couple of years have either been Jets QBs, or Matt Cassel's 2012 season.  There are NO other exceptions.  And, as bad and as terrible as he has been, he still has the arrogance to think hes a starter, rather than being willing to work on his issues.

I honestly cant think of a good reason to bring him here, nor will he come here.  Being 4th string isnt appealing to a guy who insists hes a starter.

Not many pros to be honest. All I can think of is that he's fast and would be more reliable than some as a backup. There are plenty of cons. He wants to be a #1 QB and even if Cousins gets traded,  I still could see him behind McCoy as #3.

Every QB should want to be #1. I don't see him signed here unless Cousins is seriously shopped.

Pros: He has two arms, and two legs.

Cons: We already have 3 QBs.  His 69.1 QB rating last year put him 36th among QBs...In fact the only QBs worse than him in the NFL in the past couple of years have either been Jets QBs, or Matt Cassel's 2012 season.  There are NO other exceptions.  And, as bad and as terrible as he has been, he still has the arrogance to think hes a starter, rather than being willing to work on his issues.

I honestly cant think of a good reason to bring him here, nor will he come here.  Being 4th string isnt appealing to a guy who insists hes a starter.

Okay, I'm not suggested he's the 2nd coming of Steve Young... but he's not a 4th string QB.  And anyone not wanting to be a #1 is of absolutely no use... I hope he would ride RG3s heels every single day.  I am assuming Cousins is gone... which is a very REAL possibility... McCoy would be a "camp arm"... very few teams carry 3 QBs.  I would love to see Pryor come to camp and beat out McCoy or who ever else we have for the #2 spot. It would be EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT for him to come here... "IF" he gets a shot to play he has Garcon, DJax, Roberts, Reed and he can always just hand off Morris.  A #2 QB in a situation like Washington stands to CASH in...just ask Kirk...

Biggest pro for me is that it means Colt McCoy is off the team. Cant understand what anyone might see in him. With Pryor he is a young QB to develop who could be good in practice to help the defense prepare for mobile QBs and he has a strong arm. If Cousins is traded this team no longer has a backup capable of inspiring the team or producing on it. If they have McCoy they have nothing. If they had Pryor there is at least a possibilty of having something if Gruden can improve his play.

Would rather keep Cousins around. I trust what Gruden can do with Cousins vs what he can do with Pryor

Me too brother, me too

It might be just me, but I find his throw really freaking ugly.  ugh

And if people thought RG3 was playing too dangerously, good lord lol.  This guy's truly asking for it.

I think you're putting too much stock into being able to 'keep the RG3 offense' without RG3.  Been watching Pryor so much, you forgot RG3's one hell of a passer, forgot about all this talk that he ought to run less.  Success (from the QB) will be made out of a solid, sometimes flashy passing game, not 70 and 90 yd touchdown runs.

In fact, what you're suggesting is really an insult to RG3.  We get a backup who can't throw for **** but can run so it can be 'more like RG3' lol.  No no, RG3's strength, believe it or not, is his arm.  Pryor's arm is not even near the same hemisphere as RG3s(not just talking how far he can throw it), but there's plenty of competent backups, veterans, whatever. 

This dude's throws are Tebow ugly, it's embarrassing, no.

Look I'm not against bringing in some QBs to fight for that #3 spot in camp.  I'm not against Pryor, but I'm sorry if anyone thinks he's going to be more than a backup.  He's maybe marginally better than Kordell Stewart back in the day (remember him?)  

Back up QB's do NOT matter, if RGIII goes down the season is OVER! I don't care who we have at back up QB, teams that have their starting QB go down tend to not make the playoffs and if they do they DEFINITELY don't win the superbowl and isn't that the one and only goal here?

You guys have been getting bent out of shape about back up QBs when in reality if your starting QB goes down you might as well start looking forward to the draft because your season is over.

Cons: if the talk last year of RG3 feeling threatened by Cousins presence is true, Pryor will give him fits. He can't throw as well, but when Pryor is on the field he tends to be the fastest person out there. 

He can't throw well enough to trade Cousins away and take the 2 spot, and so he really is useless as the inactive QB. he brings no veteran presence or ability to teach from experience.

Pros: Will work for tattoos.

~Bang

Back up QB's do NOT matter, if RGIII goes down the season is OVER! I don't care who we have at back up QB, teams that have their starting QB go down tend to not make the playoffs and if they do they DEFINITELY don't win the superbowl and isn't that the one and only goal here?

You guys have been getting bent out of shape about back up QBs when in reality if your starting QB goes down you might as well start looking forward to the draft because your season is over.

yeah, because it's never happened before.

oh, except to the 49ers 2 years ago. They did exactly what you just said never would happen when their starter went down, except they only got to the Super Bowl instead of winning it.

So I guess you're right.

It makes no difference.

Except to  us the last two times we made the playoffs..  down both of those stretch runs we had backup QBs start and win games for us while starters nursed injuries.

:D

Backup QB is a critical position. Studies conducted by little people in lab coats show that hardly any QB will take every snap, and most will miss at least a game. 

Now, you could have a point about a starter going down for the season and it not being LIKELY, to which I'd agree.. the 49ers Smith did not go down for the season, but he went down long enough for Kaep to take his job (Something others will says DEFINITELY should not happen).

But the fact is that one or two games the starter has a concussion or whatever could make or break the season. You should try and find one who is capable.

~Bang

Well unless their Name is: Jeff Hostetler (Phil Sims), Doug Williams (Jay Schroder?), And maybe possibly Kurt Warner (Trent Green)

The only real issue with all the tape on Pryor and if we should sign him to replace RG3 is, you don't know what the offense is going to be.....  I mean if we were running the same RO offense from last year than maybe he would be a good replacement...  But to think  that he would be better running our new offense...  cant say that he will

Archived