Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great streaks of consecutive players at the same position?

throwback37

I was listening to the NFL station on sirius radio the other day and they were talking about how strength at one position becomes a team's identity and as an example, they cited the Kansas City Chiefs running back history.. most recently the great streak of Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles. 

It reminded me of the Steelers RB streak of Franko Harris, Frank Pollard, Merrill Hoge, Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Gerome Bettis and Willie Parker.

The Redskins had a heck of streak at RB with Larry Brown, John Riggins, George Rogers, Gerald Riggs and Ernest Byner.. and also a nice at CB of Darrell Green, Champ Baily and Shawn Springs.

What other great consecutive streaks of players at the same position can you all think of?   Is there any particular streak you think is best?

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Well, wasn't exactly a streak but Montana to young was pretty good..

Favre to Rodgers isn't bad either...

The time spans that Montana to Young and Farve to Rodgers covered is longer than most "streaks".  Not to mention they brought home the hardware.

The Hogs would definitely count as one. We were known for our Oline, and it consisted of more than just 5 guys throughout its decade long domination. McKenzie, Schlereth, Ray Brown, Ed Simmons and Lachey all carried the torch as well.

I think we've had a nice string recently at Left Tackle, though I wouldn't say it's our team identity. Going from Chris Samuels to Trent Williams is pretty dang good.

How about the Ravens and their Linebackers the last, oh, 12-13 years? You could even say their entire front seven.

Broncos with Tebow to Manning. /sarcasm

Anyway, Broncos with all their runningbacks during the Shanny years should be a good streak. They may not have been great themselves, but they put up great numbers while they played.

though his time was short, how could they leave the Nigerian Nightmare off the KC Running Backs list...

Christian Okoye was a BEAST powerback.. didn't Barry Word take over for him?  Another strong powerback.

Now that I think about it... Pittsburgh has a crazy streak of linebackers too (in no particular order)

Kevin Green

James Harrison

Greg Lloyd

Jack Ham

and in the middle:

Kirkland

Lloyd

Lambert

Christian Okoye was a BEAST powerback.. didn't Barry Word take over for him? Another strong powerback.

Now that I think about it... Pittsburgh has a crazy streak of linebackers too (in no particular order)

Kevin Green

James Harrison

Greg Lloyd

Jack Ham

and in the middle:

Kirkland

Lloyd

Lambert

As much as I hate the Steelers, they get it right most of the time. Think about this streak at WR.They had Hines Ward at WR. He was as steady and consistent as any WR during his time. They have also had these WR that they got massive production from, then just let them walk because someone else would be there.

Plaxico Burress

Santonio Holmes

Mike Wallace

Now they have Antonio Brown

In a couple of years, Brown will be gone and it will be someone else.

As much as I hate the Steelers, they get it right most of the time. Think about this streak at WR.They had Hines Ward at WR. He was as steady and consistent as any WR during his time. They have also had these WR that they got massive production from, then just let them walk because someone else would be there.

Plaxico Burress

Santonio Holmes

Mike Wallace

Now they have Antonio Brown

In a couple of years, Brown will be gone and it will be someone else.

That's true.. they do a great job of drafting and taking the "next man up" approach.  I guess the one position where they have been the least consistent is QB between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

SF had a nice run at WR with Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice and T.O.

Steelers OLBs is easily the most impressive since the 90s.  Greene and Lloyd to Chad Brown and Jason Gildon to Joey Porter and Clark Haggins to James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.  Now they got Jones and Worilds.  Then at ILB they've had Hardy Nickerson, Levon Kirkland, Earl Holmes, Kendra Bell, James Farrior, Larry Foote and Lawrence Timmons.  They just turn it over.

GB's also been pretty good at WR

James Lofton

Sterling Sharpe

Robert Brooks

Antonio Freeman

Donald Driver

Javon Walker (before he got hurt, and went off the deep end)

Greg Jennings

Jordy Nelson

Randall Cobb (who is a really fun player to watch)

Some teams just have an eye for certain positions, or flat out have a horseshoe lodged in their ass.

GB's also been pretty good at WR

James Lofton

Sterling Sharpe

Robert Brooks

Antonio Freeman

Donald Driver

Javon Walker (before he got hurt, and went off the deep end)

Greg Jennings

Jordy Nelson

Randall Cobb (who is a really fun player to watch)

Some teams just have an eye for certain positions, or flat out have a horseshoe lodged in their ass.

He might not have put up the stats like the rest of them but I think that you have to include James Jones in there? He's put up great stats for a #3 and was able to fill in for any of the starters admirably when called upon. Of course they also discovered Boykin this year. They have had an absurdly good streak.

He might not have put up the stats like the rest of them but I think that you have to include James Jones in there? He's put up great stats for a #3 and was able to fill in for any of the starters admirably when called upon. Of course they also discovered Boykin this year. They have had an absurdly good streak.

Yeah you're right. I knew I was forgetting somebody. Robert Ferguson was pretty good for them too, albeit for a little while.

Carolina Panthers-

MLB-

Dan Morgan, 2001-2007, #11 overall Miami

Jon Beason, 2007-2012, #25 overall Miami

Luke Kuechly, 2012-pres, #9 overall Boston College

Dan Morgan was drafted in the 1st round to fill the void left at LB since the days of Pro Bowlers Kevin Greene & Lamar Lathon. Morgan is the least memorable of the trio, but he was probably the most talented. He was a monster and incredible talent but sustained numerous concussions and retired at age 27. Never played more than 12 games in a season. He was, however, a captain of the '03 defense that ranked #1 in the league & carried Carolina to the Super Bowl. He made the Pro Bowl the next year but then his career was hampered by concussions. He remains the most talented MLB I've ever seen in person.

Jon Beason was drafted in the 1st round after Morgan missed 15 games the previous year due to repeated head injuries. Beason immediately stepped in as the starter and Morgan retired after Beason's rookie year. For several seasons Beason was considered the 2nd best MLB in football behind Patrick Willis. In 2011 he ruptured his Achilles in the season opener & missed the rest of the year. In 2012 he tore his shoulder and also damaged his knee before again being placed on IR. He was traded to NY at the start of 2013. Beason made multiple Pro Bowls & was a team captain in Carolina during his stay.

Luke Kuechly was drafted in the 1st round due to concerns over Beason's Achilles injury & huge salary. After Beason went down early in Kuechy's rookie season he took over & never looked back. He is already considered by many the best MLB in the NFL after only 2 seasons. He is already the captain of the defense & a Pro Bowler, NFL ROY, & NFL DPOY.

This also reminded me of the 2001 draft;

1st- LB Dan Morgan

2nd- DT Kris Jenkins

3rd- WR Steve Smith

Jesus Christ.

Manning to Luck for sure is number 1. From 1 HoF QB to a once in 20 year prospect.

Favre to Rodgers ain't bad either.

Carolina Panthers-

MLB-

Dan Morgan, 2001-2007, #11 overall Miami

Jon Beason, 2007-2012, #25 overall Miami

Luke Kuechly, 2012-pres, #9 overall Boston College

Dan Morgan was drafted in the 1st round to fill the void left at LB since the days of Pro Bowlers Kevin Greene & Lamar Lathon. Morgan is the least memorable of the trio, but he was probably the most talented. He was a monster and incredible talent but sustained numerous concussions and retired at age 27. Never played more than 12 games in a season. He was, however, a captain of the '03 defense that ranked #1 in the league & carried Carolina to the Super Bowl. He made the Pro Bowl the next year but then his career was hampered by concussions. He remains the most talented MLB I've ever seen in person.

Jon Beason was drafted in the 1st round after Morgan missed 15 games the previous year due to repeated head injuries. Beason immediately stepped in as the starter and Morgan retired after Beason's rookie year. For several seasons Beason was considered the 2nd best MLB in football behind Patrick Willis. In 2011 he ruptured his Achilles in the season opener & missed the rest of the year. In 2012 he tore his shoulder and also damaged his knee before again being placed on IR. He was traded to NY at the start of 2013. Beason made multiple Pro Bowls & was a team captain in Carolina during his stay.

Luke Kuechly was drafted in the 1st round due to concerns over Beason's Achilles injury & huge salary. After Beason went down early in Kuechy's rookie season he took over & never looked back. He is already considered by many the best MLB in the NFL after only 2 seasons. He is already the captain of the defense & a Pro Bowler, NFL ROY, & NFL DPOY.

This also reminded me of the 2001 draft;

1st- LB Dan Morgan

2nd- DT Kris Jenkins

3rd- WR Steve Smith

Jesus Christ.

Yep. Morgan was very good. Think he also had about 26 tackles in the SB.

Hope Keuchly can stay healthy. He has the potential to be one of best ever.

Kuechly is a real life version of the water boy. He's a tackling machine.

2013 was the first year of his entire football career that he did not lead his league in tackles. Literally. Every year he played, from pop warner, middle school, high school, & college he finished #1 in tackles. Then as a rookie in the NFL he led the league in tackles.

However, he finished 2013 at 4th in tackles, and won NFL Defensive Player of the Year while anchoring the #2 defense.

He's special. I hope he stays healthy because with him one side & Cam on the other Carolina will have a run of success they've never had. They're very lucky.

The funny thing about Luke is his personality on the field vs off. They had him wired vs St Louis and it was hilarious listening to him curse & yell the entire game. Captain got an interception and Luke ran down the field screaming like a banshee. Then off the field he's probably the most boring 20-something year old in the world. He has no tv or internet and never goes out. He goes home after practice, eats supper, reads a book, and goes to sleep by 930. He said his in season weekend consists of going to his favorite sushi restaurant on Fridays then getting groceries on his way home. Cam & other guys are always cracking at him.

Carolina also has a good run going with defensive ends...

Julius Peppers

Charles Johnson

Greg Hardy

... 3 monsters

Archived