Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hip-Hop/Rap's 10 Greatest Albums

Sticksboi05

Nas' landmark debut album, Illmatic turns 20 years old this week.  Certainly one of the greatest albums in the genre's history.

So, with that said, what are your top 10 rap albums of all-time?  Lists don't need to be numbered but explanations would be ideal to spur discussion.

Eh not easy but I'll try.  As usual there will be a lot of subjectivity in there, but I'll try to be objective as well.

1. Mobb Deep- The Infamous.  I've maintained for years on various message boards that this is the best hip hop album ever.  The production is straight dark gritty east coast ****.  Havoc's beats set the mood for the ghetto raps.  His sample work and arrangement on this album is flawless.  Prodigy expresses himself very well for such a young cat, taking you through the QB streets and the street mentality.  My favorite album and it has to be in everyone's top 10 at least.

2. Raekwon- Only Built For Cuban Linx.  Banging front to back.  Pioneered much of the Mafioso/crime type rap that would dominate the airwaves for the rest of the 90s.

3. A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory.  A variety of subjects covered over deep grooves.

4. Wu-Tang Clan- Enter the Wu: 36 Chambers.  Probably the most influential album ever.  RZA's beats crafted from kung-fu flicks and lush soul samples.  Brilliant lyricism.

5. Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle.  One of the first albums I can recall ever listening too (along with EPMD).  Dope G-funk beats.

6. Eric B & Rakim- Paid in Full.  Set the standard for lyricism.

7. GZA- Liquid Swords

8. Ghostface Killah- Ironman

9. The Roots- Things Fall Apart

10. Nas- Illmatic

I dunno, it could change at any given moment.  I give props to NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy, etc. as being pioneers.  Outkast- ATLiens for southern hip hop.  There are artists I don't like such as Jay-Z and Tupac, but must be given respect due to their tremndous impact and overall love.  I could name more personal favorites like Madvillainy and Violent By Design which may make a personal top 10 but objectively I couldn't put in there.  I really wanted to put De La Soul- Stakes Is High in there because that is a flawless album.

My personal top-10 (in no order)

Illmatic

Ready to Die

Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers

The Chronic

Reasonable Doubt

Aquemini

Low End Theory

It Takes a Nation of Millions to hold us Back

Straight Outta Compton

All Eyez on Me

On the outside looking in...

Doggy Style

Paid in Full

Capital Punishment

Midnight Marauders

ATLiens

Things Fall Apart

Only Built for Cuban Linx

Resurrection

Paul's Boutique

The Documentary

Illadelph Halflife

This was really hard to do.  There are some real classics out there.  Speaking of which, let me ask...do any of you think that there's an album that came out within the last 5 years or so that could make it (eventually) on to a top-10 list? 

Maybe good kid, m.A.A.d city

Paid In Full: The Rap bible IMO, Rakim's lyrics and rhyme scheme were perfection on this album.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back: If this album only had Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos, it would still be top 5

Me Against The World: Pac's most complete album IMO

Soul Food: Cee-Lo has some of my favorite verses in rap on this album, the rest of Goodie Mob were on their game as well. Strong argument could be made that this is the most influential southern hip-hop album

Liquid Swords: RZA's dark production over GZA's lyrics. So many quoteables, I probably replay this album more than any I own.

Illmatic

Straight Outta Compton

Ready To Die

Only Built For Cuban Linx

Follow The Leader/Return Of The Boom Bap

My top 5 stays pretty consistent, the rest of my list moves around a bit.

This was really hard to do.  There are some real classics out there.  Speaking of which, let me ask...do any of you think that there's an album that came out within the last 5 years or so that could make it (eventually) on to a top-10 list? 

Top 10 no, but Good Kid M.a.a.d City is a modern classic.

I'd say no way.  For the simple fact that hip hop has evolved so much, so many of these classic albums mentioned in this list set the standard.  It would be hard for an album to come out nowadays that would be, "game changing."

Mainstream vs. underground always come into play as well.  No one is going to have the same view.  For instance I found that Good Kid, M.A.A.D City album to be not good at all.  The concept was executed well, but the music was forgettable imo.  There are albums such as Roc Marciano- Reloaded (2012) that have gotten such tremendous praise on hip hop forums, but I doubt any of you have heard.  It's a fantastic album though, and if I was going a top 40 personal ever it would make it probably.

Good call.  Definitely the cream of the crop when talking about rap albums of the past 5 years. 

Yeah I've kinda stopped listening to as much hip hop as I did back in my college and HS days. But Kendrick is definitely one of the better ones around right now and IMO, isn't really close.

Another one you could maybe make a case for could be Tha Carter III. I remember the summer that came out and I pretty much listened to it nonstop all summer long. But Wayne has fallen off big time since then.

I doubt it. It's just too much right now. Like there are dozens of CHH (Christian Hip-Hop) Albums that have came out recently that smashes the albums that came out recently in mainstream hip-hop. Same could be said with underground hip-hop too. 

And like abdc said, most of the top 10 we heard from the nineties set the goal too high. We'll never hear anything like Ready to Die, The Chronic, M.M. LP, again...

A post about Illmatic I just read on another forum that I liked -

The thing about Nas and illmatic is it's as much about the time leading up to the album as it was about the album itself. There was just this buzz in NYC, especially in the streets and the underground scene, that this kid was doing something that was going to be really special. I mean it was beyond NYC really (because plenty of people were Hip Hop fans from all over) but it was most prominent in NYC. He really was regarded as the next coming of Rakim, an MC who would change everything. It wasn't just people like you and me saying this, it was other artists. Everyone was amped up for what was to come. So if you are coming from another place, or you were not into Hip Hop at the time, or whatever, it's hard to understand I guess.

As far as the last 5 years , Cudi's first album, GKMC, Take Care (I know a lot of ppl don't consider that rap), MNIM, MBDTF, WTT, and a few others have been some of my favorites.

But none are really close to game changer status.

Also, 808s by Kanye is in my opinion one of the most influential albums ever. It wasn't that great but it changed how everyone wanted to sound

I'm sure there are plenty of underground albums I'll get replies about now lol

Have to say that I was expecting a bit more from J Cole and Schoolboy tho

Man, I don't think I can even put together 10.  I completely agree with every album that's been posted on here to be in the discussion or at least honorable mention.

ABDC, internet super high five on the MD.  Mobb Deep went so hard on them simple ass beats, painting dark pictures of the Bridge back in the 90s.  "Back At You" from the Sunset Park Soundtrack....myyyyy goodness!

Doggystyle went really hard too.    I remember asking my dad "what's a Frisco dyke?"

Bone Thugs E.1999 was something serious too. 

Gza, whew lawd.  He wasn't scared of the Shogun, but the Shogun was scared of him.

It's a shame that album doesn't get more recognition.

I listened to rap and punk when that came out. The two genres weren't that different. I was never a fan of licence to ill and had no idea I was listening to the same band. That album is still awesome.

Now that I live in the Caribbean, I've gotten back into rap. Its great here, with the soca and reggae influence.

Archived