Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UST: Today Only, Google Glass available to American public.....

JMS

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/04/14/google-glass-available-tomorrow/7705031/

Google Glass available to American public on Tuesday

If you are looking for something to purchase with your tax refund on April 15, Google may be able to help.

Beginning at 9 a.m. ET, Google will sell its wearable computing device, Glass, for $1,500 plus tax.

Buyers will also get a sunglasses shade or one of Google's newly-introduced prescription glasses frames with their purchase.

The one-day sale is an expansion of Google's Glass Explorer program, which began back in 2012.

"Every day we get requests from those of you who haven't found a way into the program yet, and we want your feedback too," Google said in a post on Google+ last Thursday. "…We're excited to meet our new Explorers, and we can't wait to hear your thoughts about Glass."

Google said, the number of spots available is limited, so if you are from the United States, over 18 years old and want to buy a pair, head to this website.

Google also announced it will begin pushing the KitKat software update to Google Glass next week.

The update brings improved battery life, a new photo sharing feature in hangouts and an updated SDK for developers.

Photos will also be shared in bundles like Instagram's photo grid. Explorers can also sort their voice commands by recency or frequency and can share feedback with Google using their voice.

Google also took liberty in removing video calls, for the time being anyway, citing a poor user experience. Google said fewer than 10% of Glass Explorers use video calls.

"Our most exciting update is subtle, but big," Google said in a Google+ post. "...(Android KitKat) makes Glass more reliable and easier to update in the future."

Yeah, it would definitely be cool to have but $1500 is a lot of money for something I have no clue how much I would even use. Would probably end up just being a novelty.

There are killer apps out there for google glass.     

The problem with google glass is the camera on those glasses is always active, and the images are always uploaded to google, and by terms of your purchase with google glass,  google owns the images the glasses capture not you....   There is zero privacy protection..

I find that very troubling and ultimately a barrier to use.    Makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Archived