Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Washington Redskins can Rise Among the Elite

MustangSteve

After finishing the 2013 season 3-13, just one season after wining the division with a 10-6 record the Washington Redskins needed change. Just one season after the team and organization looked so promising, climbed into the spot light and became the most watched team in all of sports, the bottom fell out. Controversy arose between owners and coaches, coaches and players, and Redskins fans ended up disappointed with their beloved team, again.

Finishing last place in the division for the 3rd time in 4 seasons under Coach Mike Shanahan, owner Daniel Snyder had enough. After all, this 3-13 team wasn't near as bad as their record indicated, just ask the last 3 out of 4 Super Bowl Champions and they will tell you. All 3 were beat by this Redskins team, as well as many teams that ended up in the Playoffs those years.

This team could have very well ended those seasons with a winning record instead. They lost numerous games in final 2 minutes, and found ways to lose games at the end that have never been seen before. That all mostly stems from coaching. After all, Mike Shanahan made a habit out of shoving star players in his doghouse and poking at them all season. You can't win championships with your best players on the bench! Exit the Shanahans and enter Jay Gruden. 

Coach Gruden immediately made changes, huge changes in a short time in Washington and he's just getting started. With the leagues worst secondary, he has already brought in defensive players like Ryan Clark, Tracy Porter, Jason Hatcher and is adding weapons of speed along his new offense with the additions of DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts, Jay Gruden is immediately filling weaknesses on this team with not just other players, but with Elite players. Weapons of mass destruction are forming on the offensive side of this team, and the draft is just a few weeks away. On the defensive side, they are already looking more solid then last years roster.

Defensive Coordinators and players will lose sleep staring down this offense that showcases a healthy Robert Griffin, speedy receivers like Jackson, Garcon, Moss, Robinson, Roberts, with a rising star Jordan Reed at TE, which could very well be the fastest receiving crew in the league. Throw in one of the best RB's in the NFL Alfred Morris to that mix, who could win the MVP this season with the attention that will be given to these receivers and QB,  this offense is a "Nightmare" for any defense to face.

If the Redskins Defense, which is healthy and adding depth, can take that needed step, and this team stay healthy, which has been a huge issue the past many seasons, the 2014 Washington Redskins will be fighting for more then just the division, they will have a legitimate shot at playing for another Lombardi trophy when this seasons over. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but while our offense may indeed prove to be quite prolific, the team will never be elite as long as Bozo the Clown is our defensive coordinator.

I will never expect Bozo to be elite, but if he can just be average, just a freaking average defense could be good enough.

I really can't tell if the OP is so optimistic he's delusional, or if he's trolling.

I think it's the homer in me lol, but all jokes aside, this team could be very good if Gruden turns out to be another good coach in this league, Can I just get 1 more homer to agree with me?

I'm not going to knock you for your optimism, but can we at least wait until after the draft for threads like this?

What you are saying is we shouldn't try so hard to give out nicknames and stuff then?

I'm not going to knock you for your optimism, but can we at least wait until after the draft for threads like this?

Why wait till the draft, it's the off season and no way in hell can we lose here lol. Besides we don't even need to draft this season, didn't you hear that the reason our defense sucked was because Mike Shanahan took over the defense? It wasn't Jim Hasletts fault at all! His defense would have been #1 the last 4 years, Mike ruined it! It was all Mike's fault, just ask coach Halett.

I really can't tell if the OP is so optimistic he's delusional, or if he's trolling.

How in the world can optimism be trolling. There's a sickness in the Redskins community which is defeatism masquerading as realism. Healthy skepticism is good, but inability to see positives is foolish.

You probably don't deserve this rant, but a great op deserves rah rah more than sour grapes.

How in the world can optimism be trolling. There's a sickness in the Redskins community which is defeatism masquerading as realism. Healthy skepticism is good, but inability to see positives is foolish.

You probably don't deserve this rant, but a great op deserves rah rah more than sour grapes.

Thank God there are Redskins fans among us! Many of the fans here have the mental mentality of only losing, they can't see how close this team really is to taking that step back to a champion and elite team. If Gruden turns out to be a good coach, this team could very easily be playing in Super Bowls.  

I will never expect Bozo to be elite, but if he can just be average, just a freaking average defense could be good enough.

Fair enough. I just have this inescapable feeling we're going to get into a lot of shootouts where our defense collapses in the 4th quarter, like the Victor Cruz TD not too long ago. I do expect us to be a top 5 offense though.

Fair enough. I just have this inescapable feeling we're going to get into a lot of shootouts where our defense collapses in the 4th quarter, like the Victor Cruz TD not too long ago. I do expect us to be a top 5 offense though.

It's mind blowing how Haslett is still here, how on earth can you have a historical bad defense and be the only coach that isn't fired? I'm starting to wonder if Dannyis  gay and has a MAD crush on Jim. Thats ok, If so I could definitely help Tanya through it lol.

Yes, we can be among the elite and only an idiot would disagree.  Many years, there has been a team that seemingly came out of nowhere to join the ranks of the elite.  Will we?  Probably not.

No question Darth, and to be sure we are supposed to be somewhat optimistic as fans.  However, 20 years of hearing offseason predictions of "we can be among the league's best" followed by largely crappy seasons leads me to a little skeptical of grand proclamations that aren't deserved.  Plus, the statement that we "could have very well ended seasons 12-4" is laughable when we were nowhere close.

Yes, we can be among the elite and only an idiot would disagree.  

Agree 100%

No question Darth, and to be sure we are supposed to be somewhat optimistic as fans.  However, 20 years of hearing offseason predictions of "we can be among the league's best" followed by largely crappy seasons leads me to a little skeptical of grand proclamations that aren't deserved.  Plus, the statement that we "could have very well ended seasons 12-4" is laughable when we were nowhere close.

Yes we were that close hail, yes this team was in every game it played over the last many seasons. This team destructed in the 4th quarter of many games, that is strait up bad coaching. These players have proven they can go toe to toe with any team they play against.

Jay Gruden has a golden opportunity in front of him. He can make a great name for himself with this team he is building in this very year. After this draft, many of the missing pieces could be put in place, this is not a 3 to 5 year rebuild at all. This same team could jump to the top in just 1 season. It all depends on if he's a good coach or another Jim Zorn/Mike Shanahan type coach. Nothing but potential on this very team.

Jay Gruden has a golden opportunity in front of him. He can make a great name for himself with this team he is building in this very year. After this draft, many of the missing pieces could be put in place, this is not a 3 to 5 year rebuild at all. This same team could jump to the top in just 1 season. It all depends on if he's a good coach or another Jim Zorn/Mike Shanahan type coach. Nothing but potential on this very team.

It could happen, but my definition of "elite team" is one that records double-digit wins, division titles, and playoff appearances in several consecutive years.  I know we are not a patient bunch after 20 years of suck, but now that we have gone "back to the Norv" and don't have a high profile coach in place (aside from perhaps Jay's last name), I want to give this guy a little time to succeed. I'd love to have a 10+ win season, but if we happen to go 7-9/8-8 in Jay's first year, I'm not going to be too bothered.

Would it be silly of me to point out that we weren't 4-12, last year?

we were 10-6 the year before that.  I believe that talent wise that is more reflective of our abilities.  Last year featured poor coaching all around and RG3 trying to recover from injury

It could happen, but my definition of "elite team" is one that records double-digit wins, division titles, and playoff appearances in several consecutive years.  I know we are not a patient bunch after 20 years of suck, but now that we have gone "back to the Norv" and don't have a high profile coach in place

First - Norv was a VERY high profile coach.  He was the OC for the cowgirl triplets and had multiple Super Bowl wins.

Second - If (big if) we win the division this year, we will have been champs 2 of the last 3 years.  That is the beginning of dominating the East.  Robert will be a division champ in 66% of his seasons.  That leads to 8 division championships in his 12 year career. 

We have the elite QB and we finally have some top-end WRs and we have a pounding RB.  If our Oline can stay the same in run blocking and give Robert .75 - 1 second longer to stay in the pocket on passing downs, then this offense will easily be in the top 10 and possibly much higher.

As for the D, I don't know, but if they can just be in the top half of the league, this team, this year should win the division and could push deep into the playoffs.

Archived