Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most satisfying NFC East rival loss...that didn't involve the Redskins

thebluefood

I've been watching this documentary on the 1981 San Francisco 49ers on the NFL Network and, of course, one of the main points of the documentary was "The Catch" in the '81 NFC Championship that started the team's dynasty and was the second of the Cowboys three consecutive NFC Championship defeats. I always like watching highlights from that game because it took a team that had been mediocre for years into a full on NFL powerhouse and, of course, it was a major Dallas loss. I imagine if I had watched the game live, that would have been pretty satisfying to watch.

That got me thinking: what are some of your favorite moments of NFC East schadenfreude? Moments where the Redskins had nothing to do with the game, but still gave you that warm, fuzzy feeling that watching a division rival lose can only give you.

For me, it has to be Dallas losing to Seattle in the playoffs in 2007: the Romo fumble.Seeing them lose in the most heartbreaking fashion possible was just beautiful.

Yeah, "The Catch" will always be the ultimate one.  What people sometimes forget is that the play only put the Niners up by one with 50 seconds left. When Dallas got the ball, Danny White completed a deep pass to Drew Pearson who was lucky to get brought down and not gone all the way.....as it was, the ball did wind up near the SF 40. But a few plays later White fumbled, and that was it.

Another Dallas playoff loss that I remember was losing at home to the Rams after the '79 season. I know the thread said that it shouldn't have anything to do with the Skins, but after the heartbreaking fashion in which they bounced us in the final game that year, it was nice to see them bounced at home the next week. Was also Roger Staubach's last ever game.

As far as the other division rivals......I was really rooting against Philly during their monster years of the early 2000s, and I think the loss to Tampa to close out the Vet stands out.  There were all the things about how the Eagles had beaten the Bucs pretty soundly in a recent playoff game, Tampa couldn't win in cold weather, etc.....and Jay Gruden's big brother went out and silenced the neantherdals in Philly pretty good.  As for the Giants, there was a playoff game against the Vikings in '97 that they had well in hand at home and gagged away that was pretty funny.

The St Louis/AZ Cardinals never made the playoffs frequently enough for me to really care LOL

Yeah, "The Catch" will always be the ultimate one.  What people sometimes forget is that the play only put the Niners up by one with 50 seconds left. When Dallas got the ball, Danny White completed a deep pass to Drew Pearson who was lucky to get brought down and not gone all the way.....as it was, the ball did wind up near the SF 40. But a few plays later White fumbled, and that was it.

Another Dallas playoff loss that I remember was losing at home to the Rams after the '79 season. I know the thread said that it shouldn't have anything to do with the Skins, but after the heartbreaking fashion in which they bounced us in the final game that year, it was nice to see them bounced at home the next week. Was also Roger Staubach's last ever game.

As far as the other division rivals......I was really rooting against Philly during their monster years of the early 2000s, and I think the loss to Tampa to close out the Vet stands out.  There were all the things about how the Eagles had beaten the Bucs pretty soundly in a recent playoff game, Tampa couldn't win in cold weather, etc.....and Jay Gruden's big brother went out and silenced the neantherdals in Philly pretty good.  As for the Giants, there was a playoff game against the Vikings in '97 that they had well in hand at home and gagged away that was pretty funny.

The St Louis/AZ Cardinals never made the playoffs frequently enough for me to really care LOL

Man, if that tackle happened on Pearson today, that would've been a 15 yard horse collar!!! Have to love the old days and letting them play.

Fun fact: the Redskins are the only team to win in their last game in their previous stadium. The Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all closed out the Meadowlands, The Vet and Cowboys Stadium (respectively) with loses. I remember all three games and it was sweet watching their farewell games end in defeat.

Fun fact: the Redskins are the only team to win in their last game in their previous stadium. The Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all closed out the Meadowlands, The Vet and Cowboys Stadium (respectively) with loses. I remember all three games and it was sweet watching their farewell games end in defeat.

Unfortunately, I don't even consider our victory to close out RFK much of anything, even if it was against the Cowboys, who had really nothing to play for that day.  I was at the last Skins game at RFK that actually meant something (against the 49ers) where we lost a tough one in OT, but were still in good playoff position before we choked the next three games away to blow it.

Eagles SB loss

Eagles loss to Zona in NFC Championship. We should have ruined their season with that stop at goal line. Somehow like 15 teams that all had to lose had lost in the next 3 weeks and the backdoor a playoff spot. By the time they took the lead in game I figured they were going all the way. I had texted every fan I knew (and I'm from Seagull country and inlaws fans) after Skins game that it was 'The Inch That Stole Christmas'. I knew I spoke to soon. Thank goodness they lost this game!!!!

Dallas loss on Romo fumble. What a dufus.

Both Giants wins against NE burns my chaps to no end.

I felt so much rage week 17 of the 2009 season when the Skins/Chargers game was removed from TV (in the Tidewater area) for a more "competitive" game featuring the Cowboys and Eagles.  I was happy to see the Eagles shut down in a game I felt forced to watch and the following week the Eagles were blown out again by the Cowboys in another over hyped matched. Then, after the two impressive wins by the Cowboys, the Super Bowl talk for them started to warm up (from the media), but the Vikings closed that down with a very convincing blowout win 34-3 over the Cowboys. I loved it!

Archived