Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White Board: Football 1-0-1 for laymen like GHH. DL gap techniques and the Redskins new front.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

As noted countless times on these here pages, I hate hate HATE x's and o's talk. I mean I understand the importance, naturally. And I can hang with the football 'geeks' (smiles nodding) among our number like Coach KD, DC9, Ll, darrelgreenie, Monk4thaHALL et all as I'm sure they'd acknowledge through 30 years watching this great game and picking up a thing or ten. I know what I'm watching and what I'm looking for. I just dislike getting technical and high brow. I'm a simple man (LEAVE IT!) of simple tastes. Put simply technicalities bore the living piss out of me. 

But it's recently been noted by quite a few on some of those little nuances regarding our defensive plans and just how confusing to they can be to the average fan who just likes watching football. In a simple and fun manner. Like moi. And then a monkey with a gun asked politely and I'm not stupid enough to turn him down ..... 

So class, if you're all sitting comfortably (quiet at the back!), we shall begin today's White Board lesson. (It's like Chalk Talk. But easier to rub out and correct without getting dust all over yourself.). 

Defensive Line Gap Techniques. 

Gaps.

A gap is the area between the offensive linemen, and from a defensive standpoint basically refers to a players assignment. 

The easiest way to look at that would be to first look at the gaps in a standard front. (Bracketing in the Tight Ends for the purpose of gap placement.). 

D      C     B     A    A      B      C       D

(TE)   LT   LG    C    RG   RT   (TE)

As you can see from above diagram, the coloured (with an unnecessary U class. Proper English ONLY the 'White Board' :P) burgundy A through D letters refer to the gaps between the OL:

A Gap- Gap between the centre (did I mention we're spelling in proper English for todays lesson?) and the guard. 

B Gap- Gap between the guard and tackle. 

C Gap- Gap between the tackle and tight end. 

D Gap- Outside the tight ends. 

So basically put, your gap assignment is the area in the offensive line you'll be attacking. 

So now we've learnt the gap areas, the next very important step is to understand the difference between '1 gap' and '2 gap', which you'll hear a lot from the talking heads about a players strengths or his assignment within a defensive scheme:

1 Gap- Basically put, your responsibility is to take out whatever is in the gap you're assigned. It's a very aggressive form of attack, with less emphasis on blocking responsibility and more on attack. Perfect for a 4 man front in a 43 defensive scheme. 43 1 gap lineman still have to recognise (s, not z. See all you're learning today class? :D) run plays and have a responsibility to stop the run. They just don't have the added responsibility of having to diagnose the best gap to attack like a 2 gap lineman has. 

2 Gap- This puts more of a 'read and react' emphasis on the defender. More of an 'option play' if you will. He needs a quick evaluation pre-snap to pick the gap most easily exploited by the opposing O and he needs to fill it. This is better suited to a 34 D and makes the nose tackle VERY important in particular as he's lined up directly over the opposing centre so has both A gaps to decide which guard and centre combo he's going to take on. 

So to simplify even further, think of a 1 gap assignment being more for penetrating D-linemen, whilst 2 gap is more of a gap control front. It gives you a choice whilst 1 gap is gap specific. (Phew. Lot of gaps there. Try saying that after a few cold ones.). 

Ok, class. Good work. Now we have a better understanding of gaps, we can move onto our next related topic .....

Technique. 

What techniques basically boils down to is where you line up pre-snap in relation to an opposing player. The easiest trick to learn this is even numbers refer to lining up directly over the opposing player. Odd numbers 'sliding.' (Essentially lining up off a lineman's shoulder.) 

So if we go back to our diagram again (any excuse to use pretty colours) we can now look at technique in relation to an offensive line. 

9  6  7  5  4   3 2   1 0 1   2 3   4   5  7  6  9

D        C       B       A    A        B      C        D

(TE)     LT     LG    C    RG      RT    (TE)

As you can see, we've now added technique to the gap diagram in red which pretty uniformly translates thus into where a player lineups pre-snap:

0 Technique- Lineup directly across from the opposing centre.

1 Technique- Lineup inside shoulder with outside shoulder of centre.  

2 Technique- Lineup directly across from the opposing guard.

3 Technique- Lineup inside shoulder with outside shoulder of guard. 

4 Technique- Lineup outside shoulder with inside shoulder of tackle.

5 Technique- Lineup inside shoulder with outside shoulder of tackle. 

6 Technique- Lineup directly across from the opposing tight end. 

7 Technique- Lineup outside shoulder with inside shoulder of tight end. (Or 'imaginary' TE if there is none.).

(Wide) 9 Technique- Lineup inside shoulder on outside shoulder of tight end. 

Now there's slight 'tweeks' to this, like adding an 'I' to a tech. to move a guy slightly inside, or a 'shade' where a guy moves slightly more toward covering a gap. But that's your basic premise that most all levels of football use. 

Generally speaking, 43 players are likely to lineup in odd tech positions; with 34 guys lined up directly across from their opposing linemen.

So class, now we've learnt about 'gaps' and 'techniques', the next time you hear a player is an 'excellent 3 technique defensive tackle that attacks the B gap well', you'll now know he basically lines up on the outside shoulder of a guard and attacks the space between the guard and tackle well. Is a DT a NT, or a 1 tech or 3 tech? Etc etc. 

Knowing the techniques tells you what a guys general role is. Just picture the gap/ technique diagram and you won't go far wrong. 

To get even more technical (groans. Me. not my 'students'), you'll often hear 'over' and 'under' alignments, In an 'over', the offense will be using a TE, so if the D shifts alignment to the strong side (the side of the O-line the TE is positioned) to cover; a 5 tech DL becomes a 6 or 9 tech and so on. Similarly if they shift in the opposite direction to the offenses weak side, they are now in an 'under' alignment. For example this could be to add more of a pass rush, say by adding an extra rush end to the weak side or walk an OLB up into a 5 or 9 technique. 

So we've covered the basics, and now (hopefully) have a better understanding of gaps/ responsibilities and technique alignment 

So where does this all leave your 2014 Washington Redskins on the defensive front and what of the players we've added/ should be adding?

It's interesting as nobody really knows what we're going to run. We can only guess and try surmise off the tidbits coming out of the Park. The general consensus seems to be we're going to be playing more 1 gap this year. Which falls in line with what we've added in FA. Particularly Hatcher. Although we run a base 34, it's adaptable as most all modern D's tend to be and can switch between various formations. 60% of our total defensive snaps last season came out our Okie D (5 DL/ 2LB. Or more of 2-4/ 4-2 LeBeau look in our case- Orakpo and Kerrigan basically walked up as extra 9 tech linemen with another backer on the inside) in a 2 gap scheme with far more emphasis on containment. If we are indeed to go to more of a 1 gap 24/ 42, then Hatcher and Cofield are ideal prototypes. 

I personally believe the most effect form of a true 34 starts with that base and a 2 gap big ass NT to eat those gap spaces and allow the LB's to come through. But if we are planning on more of a 1 gap attack for that 60% of the time, that's not going to be needed. And we have the pieces with Hatcher added to run that aggressive press. Ironically it probably brings the oft lambasted Doughty back into play as all you really need is a stout in the box SS who can stop the run. And for all his criticism, he's the best we currently have at that. But that's taking this into the realms of the whole D and best in another thread.

All real interesting to see how we do indeed develop, but at least now you all hopefully have more of an understanding of D-line gap techniques and what the 'geeks' are on about when they're talking about 1 and 2 gaps and the like.  :P 

Class dismissed. Please take down additional homework notes from the x's and o's crew for our guys sure as heck know their stuff. 

Hail. 

lol

Getting back on topic, if we are going to be more of a 1 gap team this year, I not only think that our starters (Cofield, Baker, Hatcher) would be able to dominate, I think we would see huge steps of improvement from Jarvis Jenkins as well. I am really curious to see how this D-Line will play in 2014. 

This is great, because while I'd sort of picked this info. up piecemeal over time, seeing it in one place and all in context is incredibly helpful.

Let it never be said that GHH isn't one of the smartest football people here, nor that ES is not one of the most learned football sites on the internet.

This is great, because while I'd sort of picked this info. up piecemeal over time, seeing it in one place and all in context is incredibly helpful.

Let it never be said that GHH isn't one of the smartest football people here, nor that ES is not one of the most learned football sites on the internet.

we can still say he is one of the stinkier ones right?

great informative post!

Oh heck no. As flattering as that is my knowledge isn't in the same league as some of you guys who've actually played and coached this great game we all so love. 

I'm just happy to of been accepted in this place of ours almost from the get go and to of found my own little niche. There's no bigger compliment to be accepted by American's knowing you can hang with them on their sport. 

we can still say he is one of the stinkier ones right?

great informative post!

That would I explain why I keep ending back single.  :( Well, that an addiction to this darn place.  :lol:

Thanks guys. Appreciated. 

Hail. 

Oh heck no. As flattering as that is my knowledge isn't in the same league as some of you guys who've actually played and coached this great game we all so love. 

Don't sell yourself short.

Remember the Cowboyszone Hatcher thread from a few days back?  Everyone was laughing about Hatcher not being a fit, and no one even mentioned gaps or techs (or how Hatcher was actually a great fit for our 60%-of-the-time nickel package).  Based on other forums I've looked at it's pretty much the same most places.

That places you probably in the top 1-2% of football fans right off the bat.  It's just that some guys like KDawg and TK are in the top .01%.

But it's kind of like the difference between a pro-bowler and an all-pro, while most others on the internet are JAGs.

.....It's interesting as nobody really knows what we're going to run. We can only guess and try surmise off the tidbits coming out of the Park. The general consensus seems to be we're going to be playing more 1 gap this year. Which falls in line with what we've added in FA. Particularly Hatcher. Although we run a base 34, it's adaptable as most all modern D's tend to be and can switch between various formations. 60% of our total defensive snaps last season came out our Okie D (5 DL/ 2LB. Or more of 2-4/ 4-2 LeBeau look in our case- Orakpo and Kerrigan basically walked up as extra 9 tech linemen with another backer on the inside) in a 2 gap scheme with far more emphasis on containment. If we are indeed to go to more of a 1 gap 24/ 42, then Hatcher and Cofield are ideal prototypes...

Good post.

And I think people have been taking their guesses to far at times. I am not talking about you or KD but I read a poster the other day write that our defense is changing to a 1-gap this year as if it was a fact. But the only source I've read about playing 1-gap is Chris Russell and he said that he expects more 1-gap.

Fans are running with it though as if a coach stated we are making the switch.

Hatcher

I don't think Hatcher neccesarily signing signals a change in scheme. The defense Haslett runs isn't strictly a 2-gap defense. Haslett runs his best approximation of LeBeau/Capers 34. And while the defense is mainly 2-gap their DEs are can and are still expected to generate pressure and get sacks. (btw people forget that our very own Adam Carriker had iirc 5-6 sacks 3 years ago in this scheme and this staff worked with Jenkins in hopes of developing more pass rush moves/ability)Hatcher is a much needed upgrade in personnel and adding someone that can actually create pressure equates to more pressures from the interior DL and more pressures as front 7. So while/if the scheme changes the main reason there will be more pressure is because Hatcher is a better penetrator then Jenkins/Bowen/Golston.

I'm actually looking forward to watching our DL this year.

Our DL almost doubled the amount of pressure by adding Hatcher. Cofield will still have his struggles against the run and I agree that he isn't your ideal 34 nose especially against the run. But I'm okay with him not being as stout against the run because he's a damn good interior rusher and playing him next to Hatcher mean the pass rush has a chance to be much more disruptive.

One thing Haslett did actually say was the OLBs will have more rush opportunities without having to worry so much about contain. One logical speculation from this comment is that the defense will stunt more; where the DL loops outside and the OLB cuts inside:

URI-05.jpg

Steelers defense was well known for its stunting and slanting and if you look at the 49ers, another top 34 defense, they stunt all the time with their DE and OLB. (and their DE Smith holds all the time)  Stunting more already fits into the defense concepts and Hatcher's more then Jenkins/Golston has the athletic skillset to pullit off.

Stunting and slanting are concepts are already within this defense. Hatcher's skillset allows them the chance to be more aggressive/creative up front

RE: 60% 4 man line

The defenses percentage use of 4 man line (60%) is not out of the ordinary for 34 defenses. The 34 vs 43 moniker is more a reference to how the defense lines up against a base offense set-personnel. As more teams use 3-4 receiver spread sets defense use more sub packages.

Wow. Didn't know GHH had it in him. Great job.!

You know, it's funny. I'm analytical by nature. One of the things that played a major part in hooking me to the sport was the chess match (something I was heavily involved in at school at the time) played out by real life warriors. The thrust and counter thrust trying to outwit the other team. But I honestly lose patience fast when it comes to x's and o's. I love and appreciate the heck out of guys like dg and KD who have the patience to go back play-by-play through game film and dissect things in minute detail. But I'd be getting antsy through the first 5 minutes of doing that.  :lol:.

I'm happier just kicking back and enjoying with a good broad knowledge to fall back on if needed.. You learn things because it enhances your understanding of a game you never stop learning on. 

But man if I don't find it bloody tedious.  :lol: A bizarre contradiction to my nature in general. 

Hail. 

Great OP, GHH. I think it's time for me to retire Chalk Talk and you can take over for me!

dg,

I agree. There seems to be a lot of speculation on the change. I've tried to be careful in saying, "if the talk is true, then..."

I was one of the biggest proponents of getting a nose tackle on the forum, but with some of our signings there are certainly some signs that we're going to go to more of a man scheme coverage wise with penetrators across the defensive line. That piece, the penetrators portion, makes me believe that we're going to attempt to utilize much more 1-gap stuff.

But, that's just a guess. Maybe they see Baker as a guy who can play 2-gap nose, and with Cofield in the rotation they feel more than safe. 

I like the idea of the switch, the idea of letting Hatcher, Cofield and Baker go make plays makes me giddy. 

I think there's some confusion, though, as it pertains to the 2-gap scheme and the defensive line (not with you, mind you). And that's what a quality DL will accomplish...

I hear sacks getting talked about all the time, and that's a conversation in an of itself. But specifically in regards to the defensive line, a 2-gap team isn't looking to have those guys scream through their gap and get a tackle for loss. Or a sack. Or even a tackle. Their job is to take on multiple blockers, maintain the integrity of the line of scrimmage by not getting driven backwards and allow the linebackers to flow and make a play. 

It's entirely different than a 1-gap scheme where the DL is free to shoot a gap and go. You'll see more stats for the 1-gap, but it's arguable that's it's a hell of a lot harder to find a good 2-gapper.

Great OP, GHH. I think it's time for me to retire Chalk Talk and you can take over for me!

Ha ha. I'm onto you Coach! You just want to lighten your load slacker! 

Although if you renounce 98 and tell everyone of Brandon's coming greatness we could well work something out.  :P

Joking aside, with no disrespect intended in any other direction, props on anything from you Coach have always carried extra meaning to me. But you know this already.

Just a pity you suffer the same problem with LB's as dg does QB's.  ;)  :lol:

Hail. 

I hear you KD; my point is that even in our current scheme with no schematic adjustments a smart DE can still get sacks. Imo it wasn't the scheme stopping our DL from creating more pressures and getting more sacks it was ability.

Our defense is modeled after the Steelers and Packers and over the years their DEs have been able to gets sacks. The DL has to recognize/read pass quickly and turn their techinique on that play from playing his 2-gaps to getting upfield.

I hear you KD; my point is that even in our current scheme with no schematic adjustments a smart DE can still get sacks. Imo it wasn't the scheme stopping our DL from creating more pressures and getting more sacks it was ability.

Our defense is modeled after the Steelers and Packers and over the years their DEs have been able to gets sacks. The DL has to recognize/read pass quickly and turn their techinique on that play from playing his 2-gaps to getting upfield.

True. DEs have more flexibility in the 3-4 2-gap than the NT does. Heck, sometimes they ARE 1-gap responsible.

Our talent was lacking. Agreed. I get the sense it's going to be a bit better in 2014.

What the hell GHH, classing up the joint?   :angry:

Seriously though, great info.  I've always wondered about the differences in the techs(yet strangely never googled it or asked about it).  Great info and thanks so much for sharing.  This board is much better due to this thread, and others like it.  Makes ES great.

KDawg writes for folks who might know what they're talking about. GHH just broke it down for the rest.

Hopefully, it seems we've been asking our line to hold the line, which I assume is why we've remained good against the run, but asking just our OLBs to make plays while also doing the same, holding contain, but now were just telling our line to collapse a pocket, so our OLBs can crush it.

Makes more sense given our personnel. I think well fall off being good against the run, which should be okay if we can get close to the scoring we were doing in 12.

Archived