Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

I get unlimited datay by bundling Internet/TV through Direct TV/U-verse.  I am thinking in the future that I will be dropping my Direct TV package to the lowest possible I can do to still keep the unlimited data plan for internet.

I have a fire stick with some great streaming apps.  I can pretty much see all boxing & UFC PPVs for free and they are actually good quality streams.  I didn't get it until the NFL Season was over last season and I do have the NFL ticket for this season, but I am going to test out the streaming channels on the back bedroom TV for the NFL out of curiosity this season to see if that can be a regular option going forward.

I believe Live local plus the channels listed on their $39.99 offering. Plus you can record any of the listed channels.

I have been watching Covert Affairs on Amazon Prime. I liked the show when it was originally on, up to Season Three now. 

Like I wrote, miss NFL Network a bunch but not enough to change to Sling, plus Hulu has pretty much everything I like.

17 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I cut the cable cord when I moved to Cedar Park TX. I have Amazon Prime for years, and added Hulu Live. I love both and am not going back to cable. 

Hulu Live also has a cloud where you can record your shows. It doesn't have NFL Network, which I miss but not enough to give up the Live part of Hulu. I have the Redskins as a sports favorite and recorded the second preseason game. So I won't get every game, but that's okay as I was really excited to see Guice play and now that he's out for the season, I am not as interested. It's an older age thing for me.

So give it a try, you can always drop it. No contract.

Watching redskins games won’t be a problem as I live in the tidewater area and get local channels on Hulu and I have access to other channels not offered on Hulu by downloading the apps and using the log in info from my mothers directv including hbo and Sunday ticket 

13 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I believe Live local plus the channels listed on their $39.99 offering. Plus you can record any of the listed channels.

I have been watching Covert Affairs on Amazon Prime. I liked the show when it was originally on, up to Season Three now. 

Like I wrote, miss NFL Network a bunch but not enough to change to Sling, plus Hulu has pretty much everything I like.

I looked into sling but it doesn’t offer local channels in my area which is a deal breaker 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Freaking NFL and CBS. Couldn't watch the game yesterday because stupid CBS has their own streaming service which I refuse to purchase. What the heck was an all NFC game doing there anyway?

I noticed a few services that do this. These streaming blackouts can get a little ridiculous. Do you get the local channels?

35 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Freaking NFL and CBS. Couldn't watch the game yesterday because stupid CBS has their own streaming service which I refuse to purchase. What the heck was an all NFC game doing there anyway?

If you don't mind mobile Yahoo Sports app streams a couple NFL games every weekend. They were playing the game yesterday.

Edited by Cooked Crack

6 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

Who is your current provider? Most streaming services include CBS although it may be dependent on your area. I watched the game without issue on CBS through Youtube TV. 

3 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Can you get in any sort of trouble looking at streams of games listed on reddit? Asking for a friend. He tells me that you'd be surprised by the amount of crap Malwarebytes will block there also.

Tell him to get an adblocker. Although I'm told "nobody watches streams on websites" and you can use a link that can be opened by vlc...which is WAY outside my technical know-how. 

• 4 months later...

Ok finally cut the cord.   I have an Amazon Fire Cube running Directv Now for my main TV viewing and had Titanium running IPVanish for my in theater movie needs.  So far it’s GREAT and saving me about.  120 a month.  Coming from xfiniity cable package with all the stations offerred to this with those same stations pretty much.  

• Like 3

I cut the cord a few months back and have been trying out PlayStation VUe. It’s pretty sweet.  $49.99 for all the major cable channels, local channels, and unlimited VCR.  Also, you don’t need a PlayStation, it’s just an app on the TV.  The interface is a bit clunky but overall I’m impressed.

• Like 2

Cut the cord a few months ago. Been using Playstation Vue for regular TV (EVERYTHING we have ever watched minus MASN for Nats games :(  ), plus Netflix and Hulu. I signed back up for Hulu when they were running their ridiculous Black Friday deal of $1 a month for a year... chaCHING!

Haven't missed regular cable yet...we'll see what happens when baseball starts though since I currently have no option for watching the Nationals (outside of internet links).

Don't get me wrong... we still pay like $80 a month for internet from Xfinity still 🙄

35 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Cut the cord a few months ago. Been using Playstation Vue for regular TV (EVERYTHING we have ever watched minus MASN for Nats games :(  ), plus Netflix and Hulu. I signed back up for Hulu when they were running their ridiculous Black Friday deal of $1 a month for a year... chaCHING!

Haven't missed regular cable yet...we'll see what happens when baseball starts though since I currently have no option for watching the Nationals (outside of internet links).

Don't get me wrong... we still pay like $80 a month for internet from Xfinity still 🙄

Nats games was the only thing that I would really be missing when I had  cheap Comcast internet plus sling a couple of years ago. 

I got a cheap lineup plus the free xfinity beta app close to two years ago for less than $100. They were supposed to be charging for it at some point, but I still have the apps free through roku on 3 tvs plus one dvr box. 

Im sure you can get the games through vpn with MLB but I haven't tried it. 

• Like 1

The way companies charge for internet service is going to be the thing to monitor heavily in the future.  Right now the main reason I still have DTV is because it is bundled with my U-verse internet which allows me to have unlimited bandwidth.   My daughters are only 7 & 4 yet 90% of what they watch is via the internet.   I am pretty sure I'd be going over the allotted monthly cap if I didn't have the plan I am on.

Really liking the Fire Cube.  I have Arlo cams around my house.  I can Just say "Alexa show me the front door" and it opens on my TV.  The only thing negative I can say is I had used Apple TV before and the Cube seems just bit sluggish compared to that.  Plus we used to have a to many remotes for my wife, she hated it.  Now she can just say "alexa open directv now" and it powers on the TV, receiver (makes sure it's on the right input), and opens to directv now.  She likes it.  

Edited by HOF44

51 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The way companies charge for internet service is going to be the thing to monitor heavily in the future.  Right now the main reason I still have DTV is because it is bundled with my U-verse internet which allows me to have unlimited bandwidth.   My daughters are only 7 & 4 yet 90% of what they watch is via the internet.   I am pretty sure I'd be going over the allotted monthly cap if I didn't have the plan I am on.

That is where I am at as well, I have uverse tv and internet (ATT been trying to get me switch over to Direct TV for years). I just keep the lowest costing package available. ATT almost had me convinced once to switch over to the direct tv now, which would have cancelled my bundle, would use bandwidth and the cost of my internet would have gone up.

7 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Yeah there is no avoiding that!

7 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

You want to save some more cash? Look into downgrading your internet. 10 Mbps from COX runs me $45 a month. I'm running 2 Apple TVs, 2 phones, a tablet, a laptop, & a desktop. I don't have any lagging issues at all. 

• Like 1