Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

AsburySkinsFan

Could be the NFL's first openly gay player.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10429030/michael-sam-missouri-tigers-says-gay&ex_cid=sportscenter

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

More at link

Good for him. Someone has to be first, someone will be first. It's inevitable.

What's his draft stock currently look like? (sorry don't follow college football so I have no idea who he is)

Edit: my bad, see it in the article now. 12th best outside pass rusher, mid-round pick. Be real curious to see how that plays out. I got faith we're well above the good ol' boy network these days.

Draft him in the 4th to replace Orakpo.

High character, high motor, high skilled kid.  Sure tackler.  He was all over the field against Auburn.  If they had one more of him they would've won the SEC championship.

If this makes anyone gun shy then that just helps us out.

I think that he should have waited until after he was drafted for financial reasons but good for this kid. It's time for everyone to get over this issue. Homosexuals play sports, sometimes very well, and the world keeps spinning.

I disagree. I think revealing it after the draft could potentially start him off on the wrong foot with whoever drafts him. Like, we took a chance on him and NOW he's telling us/dropping this on us? Plus better to reveal now so you KNOW whoever picks you is also going to be fully supportive.

I think that he should have waited until after he was drafted for financial reasons but good for this kid.

A good amount of people already knew, so he wanted to get out in front of it and control the story rather than it getting randomly leaked out by someone. I don't think it would have stayed under wraps for another three months. I am sure it was a weight off his shoulders, so good for him. It sucks that this matters in 2014, but I don't think he could have gone about this any better.

I think that he should have waited until after he was drafted for financial reasons but good for this kid. It's time for everyone to get over this issue. Homosexuals play sports, sometimes very well, and the world keeps spinning.

He'll get a good amount of endorsements from this.

Anyways, good for him....I look forward to the day when stuff like this isnt news b/c people are accepted for who they are.

High character, high motor, high skilled kid. Sure tackler. He was all over the field against Auburn. If they had one more of him they would've won the SEC championship.

Is it wrong that the first thought I had (well first thought after dang it ESPN, stop pimping stories) was how can the Redskins benefit from this?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Where will he be drafted?   Will be accepted by all his teammates, the NFL still has plenty of bigots within the sport from players all the way to ownership.

I can definitely see some teams move him off their draft board completely, just because his gay.

He'll get a good amount of endorsements from this.

I wouldn't be at all certain.

If I'm Joe Acme, considering an endorsement deal with this guy, I have to look at

1) How many people will come to my product, because of this guy?

2) How many people will stay away, because of this guy?

Not only does #1 have to be bigger than #2, (something which I doubt would be true, to begin with), it has to be enough bigger to justify the money I'm paying him.

High character, high motor, high skilled kid.  Sure tackler.  He was all over the field against Auburn.  If they had one more of him they would've won the SEC championship.

As a feel good / PR / political correctness move, I could see it doing a whole lot of good.

"First openly gay NFL player drafted by the most racist team in sports"

Having said that? The Skins have a lot of needs with their draft picks that are more important than adding depth behind a Pro Bowler who we'd have to be idiots to let leave in the first place.

Yeah, if the kid falls far enough, then you grab him, and who cares if he plays a need position? But I certainly HOPE that doesn't happen. For the kid's sake.

Archived