Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 AL East Champs Baltimore Orioles Thread

MattFancy

I guess business as usual.  Hope we get enough pitching and pray the offense puts up 8 runs a game. :(

That's pretty much it. Not sure why we still haven't addressed the rotation. If we can add a SP or 2 and a decent DH, we could compete in the division. Instead, we're just wasting away with guys in their prime (Jones, Davis, Markakis) or entering their primes (Machado and Wieters).

Go O's! 

I'm not too optimistic about the season. I think we'll be hard-pressed to crack 80 wins based on how last year went, how the division has improved, and how we've stood pat. 

On the high-end side, if we get some great performances from our core and a couple nobodies step up we could be on the outskirts of the playoff hunt. On the low-end side, we could be looking at 70ish wins if players like Davis and Machado regress from last year. 

Crossing my fingers and excited to watch that smiling bird again!

I would be ok with a 3rd consecutive season at .500 or higher.

After so many years of complete ineptitude as a squad, I can see what you're saying.  But at some point you have to achieve higher and cannot be happy with merely competing for a playoff spot.  You have to make the playoffs in order to win anything.  I'm not happy with simply having a winning record, that is not a worthy benchmark.

I would be ok with a 3rd consecutive season at .500 or higher.

I don't know, man. 2 or 3 years ago, I would have agreed. But going .500 this year would be a clear sign of regressing. I want to get better. I'm tired of my favorite teams throwing me a bone once every couple of years (Redskins) or a once a decade (O's). I want my favorite teams to be constant contenders.

If the Redskins went 10-6, 9-7, and then 8-8 we'd be pissed about the regression. I'm not going to hold the O's to a different standard just because Angelos is the opposite of Snyder when it comes to FA money.

I don't know, man. 2 or 3 years ago, I would have agreed. But going .500 this year would be a clear sign of regressing. I want to get better. I'm tired of my favorite teams throwing me a bone once every couple of years (Redskins) or a once a decade (O's). I want my favorite teams to be constant contenders.

If the Redskins went 10-6, 9-7, and then 8-8 we'd be pissed about the regression. I'm not going to hold the O's to a different standard just because Angelos is the opposite of Snyder when it comes to FA money.

Agreed. A few years ago, I'd have been thrilled with 3 straight over .500 seasons. But tasting the playoffs in 2012 and coming close again in 2013, I want more than just a winning record. The pieces are in place for this team to be successful. We have a nice youngish core with Machado, Jones, Davis, Tillman and Wieters. And still have Gausman and Bundy waiting in the wings.

This team doesn't need a ton of big moves to make a playoff run, just a couple of quality starters and an upgrade at DH. Yet, we've done nothing all offseason. I read yesterday that the Yankees have spent $465 million this offseason, the O's have spent $0. Everyone we've signed has been to a minor league deal. Our biggest signing so far is Delmon Young, who may or may not even make the Opening Day Roster.

It's frustrating because as fans, we know this team is pretty close. As players, they have to know the same thing. It's gotta be frustrating to them knowing the FO isn't willing to spend a little more money to upgrade this team when they're as close to competiting as they have been since the mid-90's.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I waited for Abe Pollin to die in hopes they the Wizards/Caps would get a better owner. It's worse. But I've been waiting for Petey to kick the bucket in hopes that we get a better owner.

Yeah, I know that's not right and morbid, but I feel like I deserve better owners for my teams than I have.

While it's true that a .500 season would be a regression, I would still be satisfied that the team is much improved from the drought it has suffered the last decade or so.  Obviously, .500 is not the goal nor is it all I expect.

I expect another 2012 season.  2013 was a good season with about 9 blown games that could easily be put on one person, not that I want to split hairs over the seasons other problems.

I think the O's will be good this season.  I'm not totally convinced that Hunter is the closer, but he's definitely a closer.  If we secured Rodney from TB, I would feel better about the closer spot.

LF and 2B will continue to be a music chairs of starters.  I really hope the O's commit to Flaherty this season.  I'm satisfied with most of the trades and signings that have occurred the last few months.  I still believe we're one starting pitcher away from have a solid group of pitchers.  Fingers crossed on the improvements at batting--I'm excited to see how Lough does here.

On the surface, I too would be happy with a .500 season.  I guess that mentality settles in when you're used to your team being 10+ games back by Memorial Day.

But when I consider that we have the foundation of a solid team, and we spent a lot of painful years to get to this point, I get pretty upset that management won't commit to putting us over the top.  So we have another couple years of .500 baseball, maybe get another wild card at some point, and then most of the core gets old or leaves for bigger paychecks.  What next?  Another rebuild of 5 years before we get another decent team, at which point the best we can expect is... more .500 baseball?  :angry:

But when I consider that we have the foundation of a solid team, and we spent a lot of painful years to get to this point, I get pretty upset that management won't commit to putting us over the top.  $

I think they have pushed the team though.  They've committed to long term contracts with a number of players, most notably Chris Davis.  In the past, they'd let other teams poach the roster at will.  

Archived