On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release: January 21, 2014 LINEBACKER BRIAN ORAKPO NAMED TO PRO BOWL

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TK

TK

The Coach

• Administrators
  • 29,903 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

January 21, 2014

LINEBACKER BRIAN ORAKPO NAMED TO PRO BOWL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced today that linebacker Brian Orakpo has been selected to the 2014 Pro Bowl in place of San Francisco linebacker Ahmad Brooks. The annual contest of the NFL's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

The selection is the third of Orakpo’s career, including selections in his first two NFL seasons following the 2009 and 2010 campaigns. He joins running back Alfred Morris and tackle Trent Williams as the team’s Pro Bowl representatives for the 2013 season. With Orakpo’s selection, the Redskins have had at least one linebacker selected to the Pro Bowl in each of the last five seasons, matching the team’s longest stretch since linebacker Chris Hanburger accounted for five consecutive selections from 1972-76.

Orakpo, 27, started all 15 games in which he appeared in 2013, being credited by the coaching staff with 70 tackles (47 solo) and recording 10.0 sacks. The double-digit sacks were Orakpo’s most in a season since setting a Redskins rookie record with 11.0 sacks in 2009. Orakpo’s 10-sack season gave him 39.5 for his career, fifth-most in team history. The Houston native also recorded the first interception and first touchdown of his career in Week 7 vs. Chicago, returning an interception 29 yards for a score. The interception was the first of Orakpo’s life at any level.

With the Redskins’ selections of Morris, Orakpo and Williams this year, the team has had at least one Pro Bowl player for 20 straight seasons. The only year Washington has not had a Pro Bowler in team history was 1993.

#2 Gallen5862

Gallen5862

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Washington Redskins @redskins
Suit up, @rak98! #Redskins OLB Brian Orakpo will replace Ahmad Brooks at the Pro Bowl. Congrats, 'Rak! #HTTR 10m
Official Team Accoun

#3 FireInHisBelly

FireInHisBelly

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Well, this should help pad his case for wanting more $ as a free agent.

• ZRagone likes this

#4 RabidFan

RabidFan

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

20mins ago on PFT Brooks was the only 49er going, and now he isn't.  Free trip to HI with my fam i'd go everytime i could.  Let alone all the parties.

#5 Audible_Red40

Audible_Red40

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

20mins ago on PFT Brooks was the only 49er going, and now he isn't.  Free trip to HI with my fam i'd go everytime i could.  Let alone all the parties.

Not only that it's a cakewalk of a game for some extra pocket money.

No blitzing, no attempting to block punts or field goals, no more than two wideouts lined up on one side, no offensive shifts or movement on the offensive line prior to a snap, no defensive alignments allowed besides the basic 4-3.

#6 SWFLSkins

SWFLSkins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,041 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Rak's agent is working overtime, first the top three FA designation now a ProBowl trip. Wow, wouldn't be surprised to see some team vastly overpay for his services, oh wait, it will be the Redskins. 

#7 httrMP

httrMP

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

So does this mean every time Rak plays a full season he makes the Pro Bowl? That'll be good news for his agent (and maybe not so good news for those of us hoping to keep him).

#8 ejay183

ejay183

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

So does this mean every time Rak plays a full season he makes the Pro Bowl? That'll be good news for his agent (and maybe not so good news for those of us hoping to keep him).

I thought Orakpo didn't play in the Giants game.

#9 repo_4

repo_4

The Role Player

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Well, this should help pad his case for wanting more $ as a free agent.

My first thought also. I want him back, I just don't see how we can pay top dollar for him with all of our other needs.

#10 superozman

superozman

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Pay the man and bring him back.  Rak is too valuable, and glad he's getting this pro bowl nod!

• the burgundy and gold, Tatankgough and 98ORAKPO98 like this

#11 celticsalmon

celticsalmon

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm  for keeping him-tired of watching the Champ Bailiey's, Carlos Rogers' and Ryan Clark's.

Edited by celticsalmon, 21 January 2014 - 06:25 PM.

• Tatankgough likes this

#12 Burgold

Burgold

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 13,714 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Orakpo is a player we should keep.  He's talented, works hard, and isn't a troublemaker.  If he played outside Haslett's scheme he'd be a linebacker we'd all want... A LOT!!!

I don't want to break the bank for him... partly because he has gotten nicked a fair amount, but I do think he is worth a premium.

• MattFancy and NIKKI8 like this

#13 beachboy757

beachboy757

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Cool that we now have 3 pro bowlers after such an atrocious season. As far as the contract .. I kind of agree with everyone else. Don't want to see them break the bank for Rak, but at the same time we cannot be cheap and let him walk away.  

#14 Thekyle1591

Thekyle1591

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  • Birthday:09-24-1998

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Whether or not he got a Pro Bowl nod doesn't really matter, as it was obvious he had an outstanding year. If we don't resign him, we will regret it. 

I'm  for keeping him-tired of watching the Champ Bailiey's, Carlos Rogers' and Ryan Clark's.

Can't forget at least 5 kickers..

#15 MEANDWARF

MEANDWARF

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Last as a Redskin. :(

#16 Dirt

Dirt

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'm sorry, when did we get the luxury to act like we don't need Brian Orakpo?  And it's not like he's going to get the biggest contract of the offseason.

We should want to keep him.  And we shouldn't concern ourselves with how much of the bank is broken or whatever.  Let the salary cap football people figure that out.  That's where fandom goes too far IMO, when we start being geniuses about contracts and cap hits.

• redskins55, bowhunter, NIKKI8 and 1 other like this

#17 98ORAKPO98

98ORAKPO98

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Well deserved trip to Hawaii for #98, our best defensive player and beast of a human being. Can't wait to see him resign with us in March!

• beachboy757 likes this

#18 AlldaySkins

AlldaySkins

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Birthday:05-04-1984

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Congrats to Orakpo!! Like others have stated this will only increase his value and it might be harder for us to retain his services. I hope he will take a little bit of a hometown discount and stay with us. With all of our other needs I'm not sure we should spend $10 million or over. I would be fine with around 8million but anything more might be too much. Either way can't wait to watch Orakpo, Trent, and the Butler in Hawaii.

#19 RhodeIsland Ave

RhodeIsland Ave

Cheerleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Birthday:12-19-1969

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

All I ask B. Allen is, please please do not bid against ourselves. Give him a fair offer, if he accepts great, if he decides to test the market, then so be it, But do not overbid BECAUSE even with Rak, the skins will not be a top tier defense as we have many pieces to fill. And Rak has not shown the ability to raise his game year to year so I fully expect him to decline after signing his FA contract.

• DC9 likes this

#20 jflow78

jflow78

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Congratulations to the Rak, I hope we keep him in burgundy and gold.

#21 NIKKI8

NIKKI8

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I hope the Redskins resign him but after they decided to keep Haslett he might want to move on and go somewhere that uses him the right way and doesn't have him playing coverage twenty yards down the field. No matter what the Redskins should tag him so they can at least get a draft pick if he signs somewhere else.

#22 Puma Kane

Puma Kane

The Role Player

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Congrats to Orakpo.

#23 DC9

DC9

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

He didn't play the full season.  Got hurt vs Cowboys in week 16.

I guess we could also say when he misses most of the season we win the NFC East, then.

I'm happy for Rak.  But like everyone else (with a few exceptions) I hope we are smart about what we offer him.

#24 roanoker

roanoker

The Starter

• Members
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Congrats Rak. I hope things workout where you can remain a Redskin.

#25 TheREALJBird

TheREALJBird

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,713 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'll be at the Pro Bowl, if I'm lucky I'll get a chance to meet our fellow skins

• skinsmarydu likes this

#26 skinsmarydu

skinsmarydu

The Role Player

• Members
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Congrats, Rak! 

Hail!

#27 warskins65

warskins65

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Is it just me or has being a Pro-Bowler lost most if not all of its meaning. When I was a kid, ony the best players from the best teams got the honor of that title. Today, a team wins 3 games, they get 3 Pro-Bowlers out of it? That is sad to me.

All that aside, Congrates to Rak, you worked hard for it, you deserve the nod.

#28 blindside

blindside

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I was at the Pro Bowl practice on Thursday and Brian was one of the only players that stayed on the field conducting interviews. I really got the impression that he is marketing himself to test free agency. He asked to resign and he pretty much ignored the idea of it. Someone is going to pay him serious money and he will be gone...I hope that I am wrong though! 

#29 moondog

moondog

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

CANNOT wait until everyone on here goes ballistic when we re-sign him and screaming we overpaid him. Gonna be a blast. 

We CAN afford to pay him to keep him. Bruce Allen's forte is contract structure. He is well known as a cap genius. For example if we signed him to something like 5 years with $20 million guaranteed and $40 million overall (again just an example) that does NOT mean that we are paying him $8 million per year let alone what his "cap figure" will be. I'm not a guru on this stuff but there is a huge difference between average salary, annual salary and cap figure or anything else you want to talk about.

Bottom line is that we have a good amount of money this year to spend and Bruce will certainly find a way to keep Orakpo AND get the guys we truly have targeted without overspending. 

I know many are concerned about the future contracts of guys like Trent/RGIII when it comes time but again, this is Bruce's greatest asset. So fear not and don't freak out when we re-sign him and it looks like a bunch of big numbers. We will be FINE. Also, remember that our defense sucked last year. You don't get better by letting your best defensive player(s) walk in Rak and Hall (yes Hall was probably our 2nd best defender this year). Then you simply have to spend your resources to replace him. He's our best pass rusher and was actually a stud against the run this year and has become a pretty good pass defender too. He's only going to get better under Olividatti and Baker and he showed serious improvement in the pass rush as he got more comfortable returning from injury later in the year. Just be happy when we re-sign one of our own who has earned it.

Look, the guy has basically compiled 40 sacks in 4 seasons (he missed all of last year except 5 quarters). Injuries have been the biggest concern but for a guy who until a couple years ago was never hurt his entire career (including college) it's not crazy to think he could play healthy for at least an entire 4-5 year contract. If he just stays near his season average in sacks and has one career year around 15 sacks he could conceivably be the Skins' all time sack leader. 

He's played 64 games and has 39.5 sacks. Just staying on his average without a breakout year he would be around 80 sacks in 128 games which is very close Manley's production and better than Mann's. What I'm not saying is that he's as good a pass rusher as them or as crazy (he could use a little more of Manley's fire) but what I am saying is don't sleep on or undervalue the guy who is EASILY the top 3 or 4 most productive pass rusher in team history. Keep it in perspective people. 

#30 Larry

Larry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Is it just me or has being a Pro-Bowler lost most if not all of its meaning. When I was a kid, ony the best players from the best teams got the honor of that title. Today, a team wins 3 games, they get 3 Pro-Bowlers out of it? That is sad to me.

All that aside, Congrates to Rak, you worked hard for it, you deserve the nod.

I assume that the notion that teams that are in the Super Bowl can't participate, has no doubt created some "roster vacancies", so to speak. 

But then, I also point out that all those vacancies have done, is allow some people who were on the bubble, anyway, to go.  The NFL doesn't have some kind of affirmative action program, mandating that every team must send at least three, or anything. 

I would assert that it's more of an indication that every team, no matter how bad they stank last year, has just about GOT to have at least one or two pretty good players on it. 

I think it says something about the selection process, that said "Yeah, he's on a crummy team, but this one guy is really good" players actually get recognized. 

#31 Tatankgough

Tatankgough

The Cheerleader

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Congratulations to Orakpo, I think he really is one of the elite players in the league and I hope he stays here. If we can get a true NT and get consistent push up the center of the pocket he will be freed up to make more sacks and he will.

Hoping Amad Brooks the very best recovery, that injury looked so bad but apparently he didn't break anything, just tore the hell out of his ligaments. It will be a very hard injury to come back from, I wouldn't be surprised if he can't come back till the end of next season. Wishing him all the best.

#32 redskins55

redskins55

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Rak is a redskin! If we can't work out a long term deal we'll franchise him . He's not going anywhere this year.

#33 DC9

DC9

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

Didn't see the game.  I did see the highlight of the two point conversion where Orakpo showed that elite ability to run stop and tackle.  Tolbert just got lucky and went low on him.  I hate it when that happens.

Give him 13 mil a year and make sure no one else comes near him.

• longball likes this

#34 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 27,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Congratulations to Orakpo, I think he really is one of the elite players in the league and I hope he stays here. If we can get a true NT and get consistent push up the center of the pocket he will be freed up to make more sacks and he will.

Hoping Amad Brooks the very best recovery, that injury looked so bad but apparently he didn't break anything, just tore the hell out of his ligaments. It will be a very hard injury to come back from, I wouldn't be surprised if he can't come back till the end of next season. Wishing him all the best.

It was Navarro Bowman that injured his knee.

#35 longball

longball

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

All for signing Orakpo, but $10mill plus is elite money. He has never proven to be elite. He is a top 20 sack/rusher this year. Elite is top 3-5 guys and he isn't scratching that surface.
http://espn.go.com/n...ks/seasontype/2

#36 LoudMouth12thMan

LoudMouth12thMan

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Orakpo was only 2.5 sacks from being in the elite conversation at least in 2013.  Trust me....his agent will use that as leverage and someone is going to pay him.  

The Redskins are stuck between a rock and a hard on...I mean place b/c they're taking a risk whether they sign him or not.  If you sign him, you're going to pay him and probably overpay him hoping he plays at an elite level despite a track record to the contrary.  If you don't sign him, you don't have other guys on the roster currently who can pick up the slack and you're not guaranteed to find a suitable replacement in FA or this year's draft.   

It could actually get worse on the defensive side of the ball if your **** around and don't keep the players who consistently produce, even though there aren't many producers on defense.  Orakpo may not be "elite" but he has progressed in some areas and is undoubtedly a starter/every down OLB/Nickel DE who consistently performs at an average to above average rate.    

If I'm Bruce Allen, I take the lesser of the two evils and resign him even if they have to overpay him.  Sucks, but that's what they're facing.  

#37 redskins55

redskins55

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think the redskins are in a great place. The draft is stocked with pass rushers this year. Plus we have Brandon Jenkins and Rob Jackson behind Rak. So the market for a pass rusher won't be high because teams can grab one in the draft. The skins can offer Rak a good contract with the leverage of Him knowing that we have two guys behind him that we can replace him with.

#38 HtownRocks111

HtownRocks111

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Putting aside resigning him for the moment, just enjoying that his effort this season isn't going unnoticed.    Hopefully Kerrigan will improve more this next season and we run more designed pass rushes for both these guys.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users