Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NFL Offseason Dates to Remember

santana_4_prez

Taken from http://espn.go.com/n...4-nfl-key-dates.

I will update the OP with any additions that come up.

I've done this every year...links to my past threads.

2013 - http://es.redskins.c...er/?hl=remember

2012 - http://www.extremesk...tes-to-Remember
2011 - http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...es-to-remember
2010 - http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...es-to-remember
2009 - http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...e-release-info

Jan. 4-5: Wild-card playoff games

Jan. 5: Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the wild-card weekend may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the wild-card games.

Jan. 11-12: Divisional playoff games

Jan. 12: Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their wild-card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of divisional playoff games.

Jan. 18: East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Fla.

Jan. 19: AFC and NFC Championship Games

Jan. 25: Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Ala.

Jan. 26: Pro Bowl, Aloha Stadium, Honolulu

Jan. 26: An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl and who has previously interviewed for another club's head coaching job may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

Feb. 1: 2013-14 season awards announced

Feb. 2: Super Bowl XLVIII, MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey

Feb. 17: First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.

Feb. 19-25: Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis

March 8-11: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

March 11: New league year, free agency begins

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

March 11: All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m. ET.

March 23-26: Owners meeting, Orlando, Fla.

April 7: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2013 regular season may begin off-season workout programs.

April 7:  Off-season workouts begin for the Redskins.  The first two weeks of workouts consist only of conditioning and strength training, according to league rules. Two weeks later they are permitted to begin individual on-field instruction and drills.

April 21: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.

April 23: NFL schedule release date.

April 29-May 1:  Redskins voluntary minicamp 

May 2: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

May 8-10: NFL draft, New York, Radio City Music Hall. First round begins at 8 p.m. ET.

• May 9: Skins have pick 2 of Round 2.  This will be their first pick.
  • 34 (second)
  • 66 (third)
  • 102 (fourth)
  • 142 (fifth)
  • 178 (sixth)
  • 217 (seventh).

May 10 - Draft Day Party

May 19-21: Spring meeting, Atlanta

May 27-29, June 2-4, 9-12:  OTAs 

June 17-19: Mandatory minicamp

August 3: Hall of Fame game - Bills vs. Giants

Preseason Week 1:  Thurs 8/7 7:30 pm, vs New England

Preseason Week 2:  Mon 8/18 8:00 pm, vs Cleveland Browns

Preseason Week 3:  Sat Aug 8/23 7:30pm, at Baltimore

Preseason Week 4:  Thurs 8/28 8:30pm, at Tampa Bay

September 4:  Opening day of the 2014 NFL season.  Seattle hosts primetime matchup.

August 27 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce their rosters to a maximum of 75 players

August 31 Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

September 1 Beginning at 12:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an Accrued Season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot serve on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons. 

Week 1: Sunday, September 7 1:00 PM EDT FOX Washington @ Houston  

Week 2: Sunday, September 14 1:00 PM EDT CBS Jacksonville @ Washington    

Week 3: Sunday, September 21 1:00 PM EDT FOX Washington @ Philadelphia   

Week 4: Thursday, September 25 8:25 PM EDT CBS NY Giants @ Washington   

Week 5: Monday, October 6 8:30 PM EDT ESPN Seattle @ Washington  

Week 6: Sunday, October 12 4:25 PM EDT FOX Washington @ Arizona   

Week 7: Sunday, October 19 1:00 PM EDT CBS Tennessee @ Washington    

Week 8: Monday, October 27 8:30 PM EDT ESPN Washington @ Dallas    

Week 9: Sunday, November 2 1:00 PM EST FOX Washington @ Minnesota  

Week 10: BYE

Week 11: Sunday, November 16 1:00 PM EST FOX Tampa Bay @ Washington  

Week 12: Sunday, November 23 4:25 PM EST CBS Washington vs. San Francisco

Week 13: Sunday, November 30 1:00 PM EST FOX Washington @ Indianapolis    

Week 14: Sunday, December 7 1:00 PM EST FOX St. Louis @ Washington  

Week 15: Sunday, December 14 1:00 PM EST FOX Washington @ NY Giants  

Week 16: Saturday, December 20 TBA Philadelphia @ Washington

Week 17: Sunday, December 28 1:00 PM EST FOX Dallas @ Washington

I hate that the draft gets later and later each year.

Yep...all about $$$$.  I remember Schefty tweeting about it last year.  NFL wants a big event each month:

FA - March

Schedule Release - April

Draft - May

Before the schedule release and draft were too close together, apparently.

huh? for the last few years its always been the final weekend in april, so its stayed the same. hasnt it?

As usual, the main point of a post flies right over your head, causing you to look at your hands instead...

Nothing personal, but I have to admit... It is pretty entertaining. :)

As usual, the main point of a post flies right over your head, causing you to look at your hands instead...

Nothing personal, but I have to admit... It is pretty entertaining. :)

...then what was the main point? the person said that he hates that the draft is later and later each year...if im wrong, tell me. its not very nice to say "as usual, the main point flies right over your head".

...then what was the main point? the person said that he hates that the draft is later and later each year...if im wrong, tell me. its not very nice to say "as usual, the main point flies right over your head".

The main point is that every year, Goodell is always tinkering with something, and yet again, he is tinkering with the draft. You take things way too literally here (especially when half the time people are being sarcastic).

And you're right, I did sound kind of harsh... Not very nice at all. Just messin' though.

Here I'll give you a free hit  :)

The main point is that every year, Goodell is always tinkering with something, and yet again, he is tinkering with the draft. You take things way too literally here (especially when half the time people are being sarcastic).

And you're right, I did sound kind of harsh... Not very nice at all. Just messin' though.

Here I'll give you a free hit  :)

lol yes im a very literal person.

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/5110/key-offseason-dates-for-the-redskins

Feb. 17: Teams can start using the franchise or transition tag on players. If the Redskins wanted to use this on linebacker Brian Orakpo, it would be costly. Last year’s tag number at this position was approximately $10 million.

Feb. 19-25: The NFL will hold the scouting combine in Indianapolis. Redskins coach Jay Gruden and most members of his staff did not attend the Senior Bowl, but he will be here.

March 3: Deadline for applying the franchise tag.

March 8-11: It used to be that teams could not legally contact players until free agency began. But that was a sham so now they have a legal window to talk to players. The Redskins talked to numerous players during this period last year, but with no room against the cap they didn’t sign anyone. It was akin to colleges recruiting players before offering a scholarship. But deals can’t be struck during this time. It gives teams and agents a good idea on what to expect when free agency begins.

March 11: Free agency begins at 4 p.m. Teams must be in compliance with the salary cap by 4 p.m. (this is also when the rule of 51 begins and only the top 51 contracts count toward the cap). This shouldn’t be an issue at all with Washington. The Redskins will have approximately $30 million in cap space, though they must decide what to do with their own free agents first. They have no secondary starters under contract and will need to re-sign two linebackers or find their replacements – plus finding a new one to take over for the retired London Fletcher. So the cap space is good, but with so many needs and spots to fill they can’t go crazy, though general manager Bruce Allen said they will be active.

March 11: Teams must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents before 4 p.m. But the Redskins do not have any.

March 23-26: NFL owners meeting in Orlando, Fla.

April 7: Because the Redskins have a new coach, they can begin their offseason workout program. Teams without a new coach must wait two more weeks.

May 2: The deadline for restricted free agents to sign an offer sheet.

May 8-10: The draft. This is the first time any part of the draft will be held in May since 1985 when it ended on the first day of the month. Last year the third round took place on April 27. It ends one day before Mother's Day, so a lot of moms could have a very happy weekend based on how the draft turns out.

May 19-21: NFL spring meeting in Atlanta.

Just saw a post by the Redskins FB page that said NFL schedule release date is 73 days away - April 17.

Confirmation here...

http://www.nflschedule2014.org/releasedate.html

ummm...that site says, and i quote, "the 2014 NFL Draft will run from April 26th to April 28th 2014"...i think its safe to say that the person that runs that website is living under a rock, as the draft is actually May 8th to May 10th. it has been announced a lot of times already...how do they not know that???

• 2 weeks later...

huh? for the last few years its always been the final weekend in april, so its stayed the same. hasnt it?

The dates of the draft are slowly creeping later and later.  Plus adding the extra days make it seem longer. 

Seriously? Yawn...

Good.  I always thought that 5th preseason game was a detriment.

Archived