Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

I just reread the first few pages of the 2013 thread..man we were ****y big time...I think the team did a lot of growing last year, they realized people are not just going to give it to them. You are going to get teams best baseball every night.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/07/bryce-harper-weight-gain-controversy-continues/

Darryl Hamilton on Bryce Harper's weight gain goals: 

“I think he’s a great player,” Hamiton concluded. “He’s got everything going for him, but I don’t want to see him at 245 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal. Keep it down, son. Don’t go that route.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/07/bryce-harper-weight-gain-controversy-continues/

Darryl Hamilton on Bryce Harper's weight gain goals: 

“I think he’s a great player,” Hamiton concluded. “He’s got everything going for him, but I don’t want to see him at 245 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal. Keep it down, son. Don’t go that route.”

Gains

Shooting an animal with a gun isn't that big of a deal. Animals don't even shoot back. It's only marginally impressive with a bow.

Didn't kill it for meat. Wasn't threatening his life. Just killed the animal because he thought it was cool/fun.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2014/1/9/5292456/nationals-sign-jamey-carroll-and-mike-fontenot-add-competition-for

The Nats added some competition for Espinosa, signing utility infielders Jamey Carroll and Mike Fontenot on minor league deals. Carroll, 39, has a .272/.349/.348 career line with a .339/.417/.397 line as a pinch hitter over his 12 seasons in the majors. Carroll, a right-handed hitting and throwing Montreal Expos' draft pick who played in D.C. in 2005, put up a .211/.267/.251 line in 73 games and 249 PAs for the Twins and Royals in 2013.

Wow, we have an original Nat back in the fold, or at least on a minor league contract.  I just went and looked at that roster, most of them are retired/out of the league, but I guess Luis Ayala turned himself into a pretty good reliever.  I think I'd rather have him back than Carroll.

Detweiler signs for $3 million, avoids arbitration...

Ross Detwiler and the Nationals came to terms on a 2014 contract Thursday night, avoiding arbitration only 24 hours before they would have been required to submit competing salary figures.

Detwiler will earn $3 million this season, a modest raise from his 2013 salary of $2.3375 million, according to sources familiar with the contract. The deal includes a $50,000 performance bonus if he pitches at least 180 innings.

Detwiler would have been in line for an even bigger raise in his second year of arbitration-eligibility, but a lingering back injury derailed his season and limited him to only 13 starts. The left-hander wound up going 2-7 with a 4.04 ERA, making his final start of the year on July 3.

http://natsinsider.com/2014/01/16/detwiler-signs-avoids-arbitration/

Just got an update that J Zimm signed a 2 year extension.

I just saw this, unfortunately it was just agreeing on a salary for the next two years and avoiding arbitration, I thought at first we had locked him down through 2017.  So we've got him through 2015, Gio potentially through 2018 depending on club options.  Negotiations with Strasburg are coming up...man, that's a lot of potential money to lay out for pitching, but with the potential of Giolito, not to mention having Fister for the next two years...makes you dream a little about early 90's Braves rotations.

And that's not even getting to position players like Desmond and Harper.  I really hope the Lerner's are prepared to open their wallet.

I just saw this, unfortunately it was just agreeing on a salary for the next two years and avoiding arbitration, I thought at first we had locked him down through 2017.  So we've got him through 2015, Gio potentially through 2018 depending on club options.  Negotiations with Strasburg are coming up...man, that's a lot of potential money to lay out for pitching, but with the potential of Giolito, not to mention having Fister for the next two years...makes you dream a little about early 90's Braves rotations.

And that's not even getting to position players like Desmond and Harper.  I really hope the Lerner's are prepared to open their wallet.

Tells me Jordan Zimmermann is determined to hit free agency.

Gonna be tough to trade a 16 million dollar one year contract.  

Do you suppose that could be used to get him to negotiate with us, by making trading almost impossible?  True, he'd hold a ton of leverage, but there's always the injury risk.  Why not offer him an additional 4/$60 to make it a 6 year/84 million deal total?  That's 14 million per, which is relatively reasonable without being top top end money, sews him up through age 33, gives him stability and more money than he should ever reasonably need.

I just looked up some salary tables.  There are no pitchers in the 14 million range.  13+ Million guys include Josh Johnson, Ted Lilly, Ervin Santana, John Papelbon, and sadly, Dan Haren.  I'd take J-Zimm over any of these guys.

15 million+ guys? John Lackey and John Danks....which makes me think we may have to open the bank a little more.

Alright, stream of consciousness post.  Let's say that we offer a 4 year/78 million dollar extension which, combined with the two he just signed, averages out to 17 million per year, and makes him a nine figure guy.  Now you're in the realm of Josh Beckett and Jake Peavy.  With Harper and Strasburg coming up soon, is that too much for J-Zimm.

Archived