Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Schedule Rumors, Predictions, Info

kleese

I know there was a thread already discussing opponents, but I thought it would be helpful to start a thread dedicated to info and predictions on the schedule itself. I will update this as things change and we begin to get some rumors/leaks about the 2014 schedule.

Home:

Giants

Cowboys

Eagles

Seahawks

Rams

Titans

Jaguars

Bucs

Analysis: who knows with the way things go in the NFL nowadays, but right now, I'd call that a very manageable home schedule. Only one elite team (Seattle) and a whole bunch of average/below average teams.

Away:

Giants

Cowboys

Eagles

49ers

Cardinals

Texans

Colts

Vikings

Analysis: Again, it's dumb to sit here on Dec 31st and wager guesses as to how difficult these games will be next year, but that is a pretty formidable road schedule. Looks significantly tougher than the home slate.

What we know right now:

--We will play a Thursday game and I'd say around 99% it won't be on Thanksgiving

--We can't play Dallas or Jacksonville in weeks 10 or 11 (Nov 9th/16th). They play each other in London on the 9th and will have bye weeks the following week

That is about all we know right now. I believe our game at Minnesota will be played outdoors at the University of Minnesota's stadium while they construct their new stadium after the Metrodome gets demo'd.

Early Thoughts:

We won't be featured nationally like we were this year, but I don't think we will get typical 3-13 placement either. A lot will depend on who we hire and what we do in the off season. For example, hiring Bill Cowher and trading for Josh Gordon would likely net us more featured games than if we hire Mike Zimmer and don't make any big player splashes. But the NFC East factor will keep us somewhat attractive as will the RG3 factor.

Also note next year that flex scheduling will be expanded so if we are decent later in the year it will be much easier for our games to move to the more featured 4:25 start times and/or Sunday Night.

Here is my early prediction and I will revise it as we get more info:

9-7 (Sun): Bucs (1:00)

9-14 (Sun): at Texans (1:00)

9-21 (Sun): Cowboys (4:25)

9-29 (Mon): at Colts (8:30)

10-5 (Sun): at Eagles (1:00)

10-9 (Thu): Rams (8:30)

10-19 (Sun): at 49ers (4:25)

10-26 (Sun): Jaguars (1:00)

11-2 (Sun): Giants (1:00)

11-9 (Sun): at Vikings (1:00)

BYE

11-24 (Mon): Eagles (8:30)

11-30 (Sun): at Giants (1:00)

12-7: (Sun): at Cardinals (4:05)

12-14 (Sun): Titans (1:00)

12-21 (Sun): Seahawks (1:00)

12-28 (Sun): at Cowboys (1:00)

Shouldn't the last two weeks be division games?

No, it's just week 17. There isn't anything prohibiting division games in week 16, but it is only a mandate in week 17. That was Goodell's idea a few years ago and it has worked really well.

No, it's just week 17. There isn't anything prohibiting division games in week 16, but it is only a mandate in week 17. That was Goodell's idea a few years ago and it has worked really well.

It's not a requirement. But I think the NFL has seen that pushing a lot of division games to the end of the year results in a more crowded playoff picture going into the final week(s). And that's good for ratings.

I think we'll see 4 prime time games (includes the Thursday Night game).

I agree with kleese that the Skins-Rams would make a good Thursday night game. With all the talk about the trade, why not put those 2 teams in prime time?

Can definitely see us playing the Colts on a Sunday/Monday Night. Luck vs RG3 I. Could see us playing the Seahawks in primetime too. Wilson vs RG3 II. RG3 looking for redemption against the team that injured him in the playoffs. And lastly, it seems like we always get a division game in prime time, probably against the Cowboys.

We will finish in week 17 against the Eagles. We played Dallas last year, and @NY this year, so week 17 next year will be home to Philly.

Possible, but it is not a set rotation. For example, Ravens played at Bengals in week 17 both of the past two seasons. There is no guarantee we will play Philly, but it isn't out of the question either.

I think we'll see 4 prime time games (includes the Thursday Night game).

I agree with kleese that the Skins-Rams would make a good Thursday night game. With all the talk about the trade, why not put those 2 teams in prime time?

Can definitely see us playing the Colts on a Sunday/Monday Night. Luck vs RG3 I. Could see us playing the Seahawks in primetime too. Wilson vs RG3 II. RG3 looking for redemption against the team that injured him in the playoffs. And lastly, it seems like we always get a division game in prime time, probably against the Cowboys.

I think four is really pushing it. I think we are on the 2/3 fence... I'd guess 3. Remember, the added flexibility to the scheduling next year will leave open the possibility for the NFL to move us into more featured spots if we are good and/or interesting later in the year.

I would be shocked if the Colts game is a 1:00 Sunday regional game. That will either be a Monday night (most likely), or a 4:25 featured game, or MAYBE a Sunday night early in the year.

I'm going to say we do not get a scheduled Sunday Night game and instead get the Thursday obligatory game and two Mondays.

It's not a requirement. But I think the NFL has seen that pushing a lot of division games to the end of the year results in a more crowded playoff picture going into the final week(s). And that's good for ratings.

I actually think due to the week 17 rule, it makes it harder to have divisional games week 16 as well. This year in week 16 there were 6 divisional games and 10 non divisional games.

I think the Week 17 game will be against the Eagles.

This has been the rotation since the NFL went to week 17 games being divisional games

At Giants
at Eagles
   Cowboys
at Giants

So based on this we should be playing the Eagles. They robbed us with having to play on the road for week 17 three out of the last 4 years.

Edit: I just so your post Kleese....

Possible, but it is not a set rotation. For example, Ravens played at Bengals in week 17 both of the past two seasons. There is no guarantee we will play Philly, but it isn't out of the question either.

I think four is really pushing it. I think we are on the 2/3 fence... I'd guess 3. Remember, the added flexibility to the scheduling next year will leave open the possibility for the NFL to move us into more featured spots if we are good and/or interesting later in the year.

I would be shocked if the Colts game is a 1:00 Sunday regional game. That will either be a Monday night (most likely), or a 4:25 featured game, or MAYBE a Sunday night early in the year.

I'm going to say we do not get a scheduled Sunday Night game and instead get the Thursday obligatory game and two Mondays.

I actually think due to the week 17 rule, it makes it harder to have divisional games week 16 as well. This year in week 16 there were 6 divisional games and 10 non divisional games.

You could be right that we only get 3. I think we'll at least have the Thursday Night and the Colts game will be in prime time. I could definitely see a division game on a Monday Night too. I think 3 is definite, but 4 is not out of the question.

I think the Week 17 game will be against the Eagles.

This has been the rotation since the NFL went to week 17 games being divisional games

At Giants

at Eagles

Cowboys

at Giants

So based on this we should be playing the Eagles. They robbed us with having to play on the road for week 17 three out of the last 4 years.

Edit: I just so your post Kleese....[/quote

Nope we played home Vs giants week 17 the season before we played @ Philly week 17.

Nicely done sir. Hopefully the game at Minnesota (outside) is as you predict. A late december game there could be brutal. I'm assuming u of minnestoa doesn't have a dome.

They do not. Used to play in Metrodome, but recently had a stadium built. It is supposed to be really nice---depending on the schedule, that might be a road game I'd try to hit---an NFL game in an intimate, college stadium sounds fun to me.

They do not. Used to play in Metrodome, but recently had a stadium built. It is supposed to be really nice---depending on the schedule, that might be a road game I'd try to hit---an NFL game in an intimate, college stadium sounds fun to me.

U of Minnesota's stadium is gorgeous from every account I've heard.  I've been wanting to make a trip up to see my alma mater (Illinois) play there, but I might substitute this instead.

Definitely no dome there-- they used it for a Bears-Vikings game a couple of years ago after the Metrodome's roof collapsed and it was a semi-disaster.  The field isn't really geared for Minnesota Decembers (college football ends in November and the school winterizes and shuts down the stadium), so there aren't any heating coils under the field.  I believe Brett Favre got concussed and finished his career that night.

I can only assume that the Vikings are footing the bill to make the stadium winter-appropriate, or else the NFL is planning on putting the Vikings on the road for the last 3 weeks of the season.

That's not a hard schedule at all. We're facing the AFC South that had the division winner clinching it at their 8th win(the colts) and been playing meaningless game since. In our own division, the division winner didn't clinch playoffs spot until the last week. Two 8-8 teams could barely beat each other, could have ended in a tie. The only tough division we face is the NFC west and can get 2 wins outta that.

Had remembered that the Patriots in 2011 had one 1 pm (East Coast time) start from the beginning of the season until the start of December. Crazy!

That day in April is always fun when they release the actual schedule. It just stinks that it seems like they've moved it more toward later in the month and that they're now waiting until 7 pm to release it, making it a big TV production.

Since we are not playing the 3 teams we beat (Raiders, Bears & Chargers) next year's schedule looks tough. The good news is that we should win in the off season.

Last year winning the division was our Superbowl. This year the off-season is our Superbowl. So happy to be back in my comfort zone. I didn't want to have another New Years Eve be ruined by playoff distractions.

I think  if we hire a coach from one of the teams on our schedule; that game will be national game.

I predict something like this:

9-7 (Sun):  Rams - We open with our recent nemesis

9-14 (Sun):  at Texans
9-22 (Mon): at Cowboys - Our first of 2 MNF appearances
9-28 (Sun):  Bucs

10-5 (Sun): at Colts (8:30) - Our lone SNF appearance

10-12 (Sun): at Eagles

10-19 (Sun): Jaguars

10-26 (Sun): Giants

11-2 (Sun): Titans

11-9: Bye Week

11-17: (Mon)- at 49ers - Our second MNF appearance
11-23 (Sun): at Vikings
11-30 (Sun): at Giants
12-4: (Thur): Seahawks- Our lone TNF appearance
12-14 (Sun):  Cowboys
12-21 (Sun):  at Cardinals
12-28 (Sun): Eagles

I think the after the bye we have games that could be flexed if we are better.

Go 6-2 at home, 4-4 on the road, get 10 wins, go to the playoffs.  :)

I don't think that's possible. But, eh, we'll see.  With the right coaching staff and changes, there is enough talent on this team to make a third big swing in three years:

from 5-11 to 10-6

from 10-6 to 3-13

from 3-13 to 10-6

Of course, I believe in Robert.  Until I see him have an entire healthy off-season, get good coaching, on a healthy knee, and still botch things up, I'm going to roll with him and say that he's much, much closer to the Robert of 2012 than of 2013.

But there is talent on this team, especially on offense: Robert, Morris, Garcon, Williams, DY, Jordan Reed.  That's a good group of guys to start with.  Defense is going to be a question mark.  But they have some guys, and with the right coaching and new additions, they could be the KC chiefs of this year.  

As far as schedule goes, I think that we'll see a Giants game on the road very early, and end at the Eagles.  I don't think that you're going to see the 'Skins get a home game in week 17 any time in the near future.  

And I agree that games against the Colts, Seahawks and 49ers smell like they could be either "Fox Game of the Week" games or prime time games.  

• 1 month later...

I am going to update this as info trickles in....

Now that the season is officially over, there is a slight bit more that we know about the schedule than we did before.

In the OP, I have my mock schedule and nothing has happened that will change that for me. Hiring Gruden neither raises us in terms of interest or lowers us.

We do know now that we will not open with Seattle (that was gonna be a longshot anyway). The Seahawks will open the season in the Thursday night kickoff game.

So for now, I'm sticking with my mock and the prediction that we get two MNF games next year and a Thursday game. Maybe swap one of those Monday games for a game early in the season on SNF, but I think that might be a stretch. Sticking with my pick of opening at home with the Bucs and an early season date at Indy.

Archived