Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When are people going to start respecting Gibbs?

respectgibbs

Let's be real here. He came back for 4 years and got us to the playoffs in two of those seasons.

And we won a playoff game. Only the second playoff game we'd won since he left 12 years earlier.

I'm so sick of seeing Gibbs mentioned in the same breath or vain of the other rejects or has-beens who have coached here since 1.0. He's the best thing that ever came across this franchise, and was the only coach to actually resign from Snyder instead of be fired. 

Show some respect this man for which we owe EVERYTHING THAT GIVES THIS FRANCHISE ANY RESPECT AT ALL.

All hail Gibbs. For now and always.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

Gibbs came in with a worse team (than Shanahan) and actually got it in shape enough to go to the playoffs twice. Spurrier had decimated the team. Yes, it wasn't perfect but at least we were getting respectable. He even did this without a GM. If he had a decent GM and had stayed we would have been in much better shape. 

So I for one agree with you.

Gibbs spent like a drunken sailor here and squeezed out a couple playoffs.

I repeat, it took him spending like a drunken sailor and having the highest paid coaching staff in the history of the NFL to eek out a playoff.

He didn't build a team in Gibbs II, he bought a victory in the playoffs.

I repeat, it took him spending like a drunken sailor and having the highest paid coaching staff in the history of the NFL to eek out a playoff.

Lets not forget the 7 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, 4 super bowl appearances and 3 Super bowl wins.. But yea, he spent a lot of Snyder's money in round 2.0.. WHO CARES?? lol  Gibbs is the man!!!

Lets not forget the 7 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, 4 super bowl appearances and 3 Super bowl wins.. But yea, he spent a lot of Snyder's money in round 2.0.. WHO CARES?? lol  Gibbs is the man!!!

Well yeah, in a different era.

Meanwhile in this era, he bought a couple of playoffs and failed as did everyone else.

I don't even know why you bothered Chip. This board is no place for harsh realities right now. I feel like I'm in bizarro world where Snyder doesn't meddle and Haslett is a good DC.

I don't even know why you bothered Chip. This board is no place for harsh realities right now. I feel like I'm in bizarro world where Snyder doesn't meddle and Haslett is a good DC.

People want to hold on to a false sense of reality and hope things aren't really as bad as they are.

To accomplish what he did with this ownership and with Vinny at the time is nothing short of miraculous.

It is funny because my brother and I were just talking about this on the way home. If anything, Gibbs 2.0 looks better and better everyday, considering the results after.

I am still convinced if Carlos Rogers catches that INT in Seattle the Redskins win the Superbowl following the 2005 season

How do you spend like a drunken sailor in the salary cap era?  You have the same financial limitations as everyone else.  It would be fair criticism if you spend money without wins but if he bought a victory in the playoff, isn't that what you are supposed to do?  He spent money on free agents to create a 3 to 4 year window (last three years of Gibbs, with one year tossed due to Portis Injury.  Arguably, the first year of Zorn would have been a playoff window under Gibbs).  It's not the ideal way to build a team, especially now in the cheap rookie contract era, but during the era of bloated rookie contracts, no one having a magic formula for landing hits in cheaper rounds in the draft, creating a window of opportunity by free agency is an approach that Gibbs used with some success.  Heck of a lot better than anyone else under Snyder.  Snyder should have paired Gibbs with an excellent personnel guy, then Gibbs would have been more successful.  Even with Cerrato, Gibbs got us to two playoffs in four years.  No one comes even close to that under Snyder's regime.

I am still convinced if Carlos Rogers catches that INT in Seattle the Redskins win the Superbowl following the 2005 season

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about the 2005 season.

That is the closest we have been in my lifetime to winning a title. Just go back and look at the rest of the teams; there's not one that I feared playing against.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2'>

He stocked the team.  Zorn was able to start 6-2 with his team, including wins on the road at Dallas and Philly.

I wonder if Snyder can talk Gibbs into returning to finish the mission to get the Lombardi back where it belongs in DC.

Which was his remit. He wasn't brought back to build for the long term. He was brought back to right a long wayward ship at an age he should of had his feet up in retirement to win now. And because of his love for this franchise he answered the call and did pretty well in fulfilling that. Yeah, it didn't ultimately end with he and we so crave, a 4th Lombardi. But it darn sure wasn't for the want of trying and working as hard as is humanly possible for the cause. 

He did what was asked of him. Building for the long term wasn't that. 

Hail. 

He did what was asked of him. Building for the long term wasn't that. 

Which would mean it was the wrong hire.

GHH, I was as euphoric as anyone when I found out he was coming back. But when I stepped back from the initial euphoria, realized that the guy was nearly 64 and really, how long was he going to be here to make an impact?

Which is what everyone was saying around here. "Oh, Joe is going to teach Danny how to do things." Heck, you even mention in your above post "righting a wayward ship."  Is that really what happened here?

Sure, the two playoff appearances were nice, and I'm not saying Joe didn't put his heart and soul into the job like he did the first time around.....and, of course, Taylor's murder in 2007 was wrenching and Joe did a fantastic job during that tragedy. But as an organization, you should ALWAYS be looking at the long-term.

This wasn't a Joe Gibbs failure......it was an organizational failure that was repeated by Snyder in 2010 and hopefully will end soon.

Your move, Dan.

I said when he left we may not have won the SB, but people are going to realize how good jg2 was in his 4 years. Especially since he had two hands tied behind his back. That being said, he had the opportunity to ask Dan to put a real GM in place when he was here. That part was not a success.

Hail Gibbs, the only coach to win multiple Super Bowls without more than one qb, yet alone 3, and none of them being a franchise qb.

If Joe Gibbs had been surrounded by a quality organization with top-flight assistants and a solid GM, he would have won a chip, minimum, and more if the butterfly effect keeps Sean Taylor alive. He was a dropped pick 6 from playing for the Lombardi as it stood, as others have said (We would have won that game, then stomped a decimated Carolina team, and then while I'm not convinced we could have beat the Steelers, they weren't that great that year)

I think Theismann was a franchise QB by the standards of the day though.

How else do you continue caring?  Admitting that you're troubled by RG's role in this and his long way to go in terms of NFL passing combined with the realization that Snyder is here for decades to come and we still aren't truly getting a football guy GM is much harder on the heart than shooing the evil, worthless Shanahan out of town.  Granted I'm not sad to see Shanny go, just think he was a smaller portion of our organizational problems than people are willing to accept right now.

Archived