Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

this defies logic

How does it defy logic? People don't feel like paying ~$50-$250 per ticket plus ~$35-$50 to park plus ~$35-$50 for a couple of beers and a burger per person to watch a team that fails to put in effort from week to week when they can stay home for MUCH cheaper and watch the game in HDTV upscaled to 4K resolution on the 71" ! When the TEAM starts putting anything resembling an effort, the fans will return with their wallets!

That pretty much defines "logic" to me!  Wake me when we start consistently seeing effort on the field.

BTW -- the DEFINITION of a "fair-weather fan" is your average Dallass fan that watches one or two games a season, TOPS, and only dons the Crackgirlz garb when Tony Romo sits to pee ISN'T throwing the season-ending interception! Why, crazy thought here, SOME OF US lifelong Redskins fans have never bothered to see a game at RFK/FedUps but watch it every week on TV for the last 20 years of NFL-Sunday Ticket, and the two Redskins games that we were allowed to watch by the networks all of the seasons before that (as for me, I don't live in the area)! Does that make ME a "fair-weather" fan?!

Here's why I wouldn't go for Briles: The reason that Robert is behind other QBs in drop-back passing and being a polished passer is the system that he ran in college. I'm not sure implementing that going backwards is really the right thing for him.

I'd prefer to go with somebody from the NFL who has recently implemented an NFL style offense with a young, mobile QB successfully.

The job of the next coaching staff is going to be to manage and groom Griffin. Period. He's the guy, he's the franchise QB. And he gets 3 more years to prove it. (Based on his 5 year rookie contract, I believe)

So, I'd like somebody who has experience implementing a traditional offense with a mobile QB.

This kind of judgment is silly imo. I believe what Brides runs is innovative & advanced in that it takes away the traditional pre-set route-tree & empowers the players in skill positions to make reads & run option routes which takes away a lot of the preparation game from defenses & DC's.

Then to consider that the QB has to make these same pre-snap reads & progressions on the fly...& to hear people continually neglect this concept as amateurish & backwards for a QB makes no sense to me.

I think the problems have come from 1) knee injury & the need to rebuild confidence while missing summer/pre-season opportunities to advance in the offense. 2) Shanahans run an antiquated philosophy that is not conducive to allowing a QB to get into a passing rhythm. 3) 2-man routes...ALLTHETIME! 4) he's basically had to learn route-tree terminology & traditional route progressions from scratch...

Oddly, #4 is actually the step back. It's like teaching yourself for 3 years to operate a Windows PC with aplomb, & then getting a job where you have to run a PC on MS DOS.

I think that not only can Briles work a lot like Chip Kelly has this year for Philly, but may also have an advantage in having a working relationship with the franchise QB. Another thing not lost on me is Briles seems to have an uncanny knack for developing WR's...A position we have sorely lacked in quality for over a decade now.

He coaches up players without being in recruiting hot-beds (vastly contrary to Spurrier...In NO WAY RELATIVE TO SPURRIER) & he has a way with his players that is conducive to winning...a lot in the same vein as Pete Carroll & Chip Kelly.

Now...you don't always need a player's coach, but...a) when was the last time this team has had one? (& don't say Gibbs...players love him, it's true, but he has always been a disciplinarian). & B) I think this team is in need of a direction change. It needs to be fun again...not only for the players, but for the fans as well.

I also really believe that with Briles, our chances at hiring Spanos as DC go up dramatically.

Finally, I just don't believe in ANY of the retread options available at this time. NONE. Not a single one. Jon Gruden is the only one I wouldn't throw my remote at the TV over, & that's not a vote of confidence in case you're wondering.

I don't know who the next HC should be. What I do know is that I've watched the Redskins play like they belong on the field on Friday nights instead of on Sunday's and even then I think the secondary would've struggled.  They make stupid mistakes in all phases of the game and that falls on the HC. Shanahan has made terrible decisions as the HC, from hiring his coaching staff to playing RG3 when he shouldn't have been playing. I personally would love a defensive HC and switch back to 4-3 and let Orakpo and Kerrigan go after the opposing QB. Lovie Smith would be nice, Whisnehunt as OC with head coach experience, and hell I'll coach special teams myself, can't get much worse.

Briles would be a huge mistake imo

Here's the deal...with this franchise...WHO WON'T TURN OUT TO BE A HUGE MISTAKE??? I'll take a HUGE gamble with a higher risk/reward disparity & some freshness being infused into the team over another mistake made on some NFL good ol' boy retread.

If I had to rate the mistakes on coaching I'm willing to endure right now, retreads are so far down the list, I would be more excited if we hired Brett Favre from High School.

Mind you...This is my team...I would support regardless, though my interest in watching & overall optimism would severely plummet until we were guaranteed an above .500 record.

I know that it could never ever happen for a lot of reasons but Norv Turner would be my dream as an OC. I'll say it again so as I am not misunderstood, I know this could never happen. The job he has done with Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell this year has been unreal. Campbell passed for almost 400 yards today. I think that is another bad move by Shanahan. He should have just kept Campbell instead of trading for McNabb and going with Grossman and Beck the next year. Campbell isn't a star but he has shown flashes in Oakland and Cleveland.

I don't believe Briles is an actual candidate but piggybacking on the hypothetical the pairing of Briles + Kubiack would be a good pairing.

Innovative mind linked with a proven NFL offensive mind. Kinda mirroring but improving upon the Kelly/Shurmur pairing.

He's a candidate..Been on it for weeks. 

I know that it could never ever happen for a lot of reasons but Norv Turner would be my dream as an OC. I'll say it again so as I am not misunderstood, I know this could never happen. The job he has done with Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell this year has been unreal. Campbell passed for almost 400 yards today. I think that is another bad move by Shanahan. He should have just kept Campbell instead of trading for McNabb and going with Grossman and Beck the next year. Campbell isn't a star but he has shown flashes in Oakland and Cleveland.

I hate Norval as a HC ,but I would love that guy as my OC. Too bad that's a pipe dream.

I agree alot of it is all about the qb, but I am not sure I would want robert over the #1 pick in this years draft. An argument can be made for both. Flip the script, imagine if RG3 gets injuried under the new HC or does not have a very good year next year? The forums might get even uglier. I do think the skins have some nice pieces I agree. I just am not sure I like it more then the texans. One could argue the Texans are this years Chiefs, they just need a qb.

Fair points. I prefer RG3 over unknown top QBs right now who aren't coming out as highly touted as Robert. Manziel looks like Leaf 2.0 and others are bigger projects likely. But a top pick is always nice, as long as you pick right.

He's a candidate..Been on it for weeks. 

Maybe so, I still find it hard to believe that the interest is mutual.

I've read a little bit about Briles and he's seems like an honest, down to earth guy that wants to coach college football at Baylor.

He doesn't seem like the Sabab type who says one thing and does another.

Then there is the matter of his buyout, wish would be sizeable.

Then there is the lingering perception of Griffin as the puppet master, coach killer who got 'his' coach on board.

With that being said I could see Briles but only paired with a proven NFL offensive mind.

Preferable a former OC/playcaller but it has to be someone that isn't currently an OC. Someone that knows how to put an NFL gameplan together and knows what NFL defenses like to do.

Briles-Kubiac/Dennison

Briles-Doug Peterson/Brian Daboll

Thank you! I said this in 2010 and was not met with kind responses, lol. Then again, while JC is doing well now, hard to say if WCO suited him

Briles would be a huge mistake imo

I agree.  I don't like the idea of getting RG3's college coach. It just seems like it could lead to problems if things don't go well.  Will Robert be held accountable if his play is bad?  Can Briles adjust to the NFL like Kelly?  Will teammates view Briles as an RG3 led choice? 

We've tried retreads.  We've tried a college coach.   I would like to see Snyder/Allen, or whoever will be leading the coaching hunt, go get a coordinator like Darrell Bevell, who is ready to take the next step in his career.  I think a good, smart front office would pursue someone like Bevell.

Of the names being thrown around regularly, I would be most content with:

HC - Bevell (has something to prove, knows how to groom young QBs, makes the most of talent)

OC - Kubiak (we have the talent to make use of his system)

DC - Spanos (UCLA, come on)

Archived