Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen A Smith: "I Have VERY Reliable Sources That Shanahan Did Not Want To Move Up To Draft RGIII, He Wanted Tannehill."

DM72

I know a lot of people will probably say Stephen A doesn't know what he's talking about, but I doubt that he'll sit there and lie on national TV. According to him, his source also said that Dan Snyder was behind the RGIII pick. I, myself had said that I don't believe Shanahan ever truly wanted RGIII and I was told that I was totally clueless among other things.

We will NEVER move forward with Shanahan as our head coach. Star QB and headcoach simply don't get along.

I know a lot of people will probably say Stephen A doesn't know what he's talking about, but I doubt that he'll sit there and lie on national TV. According to him, his source also said that Dan Snyder was behind the RGIII pick. I, myself had said that I don't believe Shanahan ever truly wanted RGIII and I was told that I was totally clueless among other things.

We will NEVER move forward with Shanahan as our head coach. Star QB and headcoach simply don't get along.

Yes he would. He is a media whore.

This actually sounds like a Shanahan draft strategy and it might have been a smart one depending on what other players he'd drafted in that scenario. I don't begrudge him that strategy because he's been very savvy in the draft for us so far.

However, I think once our cap penalty is lifted and Griffin is healthy again, we'll all be glad it went the way it went. We should have been this bad last season but RG3 was SO good, our problems were masked.

You're totally clueless!  :)

I've heard this a few times and I think it's overblown. Sure maybe he liked Tannehill and vouched for him but I doubt he was literally forced to take Rob. Shanahan had proven that he does what he wants here (I.e. The humiliations of McNabb and Haynesworth)

I would agree.  Not just forced to draft him, but forced to leverage the future to move up to get him.  I would something like that would seriously damage the relationship.  Particularly under the circumstances with which Shanahan agreed to come here.

Now, having said all that.  I don't think it matters what he wanted then, RG3 set the league on fire last year and Tannehill was just ok, I'm sure Shanahan was fine with the pick.  It's just that knee injury messed up the whole deal.  

But part of me does still think that Snyder influenced Haynesworth staying around as long as he did.  Not outrighted ordered Shanahan to do it, but Snyder probably wanted to salvage that investment and made that known and Shanahan probably thought he could do it.

He can be the GM all he wants, but the owner will always have the final say if he chooses.

Nah... I'm not buying it. At all.

I'm not buying that, after Mike put ink to paper in 2010, and they agreed on the parameters/details/duties, that Snyder would turn around and buck that (a year removed from the Haynesworth BS, and the McNabbb disaster), without Shanahan's approval, undermining his coaching staff, and FO.

Just because Screamin A Smith, or Bayless says it doesn't mean that it's Gospel

I'll ask it again. What other coach draft a QB with the number 2 pick and then draft another in the 4th when you have a ton of holes to fill? Cousin was obviously a compromise between Shanahan and the people who wanted RGIII.

If you're going to trade away multiple 1st rd picks for a player then I'm sure Snyder was heavily involved in the decision.  I don't think it means RGIII was forced on Mike.  But not surprised if he favored Tannahill, who's skill set is close to Cutler's, and then keeps those picks. 

Like a lot of people in this thread, I always understood that Shanahan had final say in all football-related matters on this team.  If a player was/wasn't drafted by the Redskins, that was Shanahan's call, not Snyder, so I'm NOT believing this story.  Still, I've also read some things about the devious side of Shanahan - I remember one former Denver player saying Shanahan benched him once very early in a late season game because the player was close to hitting a performance bonus clause in his contract.  Can't remember the player though.  Anyway, I'm wondering if someone close to Shanahan is floating this rumor to set the groundwork for Snyder to take the blame if RG3 doesn't become elite.  Sure, RG3 isn't looking like a JaMarcus Russell-level bust by any measure, but he's also not looking like the kind of player you give up the highest draft price ever for, either. 

I'll ask it again. What other coach draft a QB with the number 2 pick and then draft another in the 4th when you have a ton of holes to fill? Cousin was obviously a compromise between Shanahan and the people who wanted RGIII.

No. He was the best player on their board. 

Take off the tin foil hat.

Archived