Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MusicCitySkin

Br: What's Wrong With Rg3? Medical Experts Say He Needs More Time

MartinC   

I bet GHH and kleese will ignore that suggestion. :rolleyes:

We may have to get you some sort of 6 month ban from posting, because watching that video in your signature just makes it very very clear what we are missing!

I posted this in another thread but I think people confuse the knee being 100% repaired and healthy with Griffin the QB being 100% in football shape and match sharp. It will probably take 3 or 4 weeks for Griffin to get into football shape and shake the rust off in terms of making reads and timing with his receivers. But it normally takes as much as a full year for a player to get the full explosion they had pre injury back after an ACL.

I tried to make that distinction all off-season. To me, the fact that he's out there only proves that he's medically ready...meaning he's not at any higher than normal risk to re-injure himself. I think being 100% effective is a personal thing and could take any amount of time. He might not look like pre-Baltimore until after the bye, week 1 of 2014, or ever. No one really knows. I do think it's very likely that he'll only look more and more comfortable as he plays on it.

Us?  What about him and the coaching staff?  lol   We're allowed to think silly stuff like that, they should know better.

It doesn't mean that he shouldn't be playing. He has to go through this process. Personally, I think it's best for the team and organization that he get through it as soon as possible. If Cousins played until the bye or until week 8, Griffin would just start this process later.

That is just it AP was VERY pedestrian in his first 6 games with only (1) game over 100 yards.  And 5 of those teams defense were not all world, hell he only had 79 yards week 6 against the Skins.  He recovery seemed all world because by the end of the season he was killing teams.  Hell he ran for almost 1600 yards in the last 10 games of the season.   Give it time hopefully the progression for RGIII will be the same.  And I think the mental part you mention might be the biggest issue

Yes, he averaged 4.4 yards per carry (not bad, mind you, but nothing special) and just 83 yards per game over his first 6. He also scored only twice in those games.

Great article. Put into words what a lot of us have been trying to say. 

And who else cracked up when they saw this pic? 

rgpack9_original.jpg?1379397140

Look at Trent in the background. Just awesome. 

Well, RGIII should have kept his mouth shut, instead of getting in front of mics stating he's 100% ready and eager.

Its obvious he's not.  Egos are like cookie jars; dip your hand in it once, and its so easy to keep doing it, til you're caught.

Or something to that effect; its early!

So I guess you prefer the Jay Cutler "Emo" approach?

I bet GHH and kleese will ignore that suggestion. :rolleyes:

They're still mad the Colts took that doofy looking caveman from Standford instead of RGIII.

If the team is committed to him then it isn't in issue. He is their franchise QB and has to get his game speed back against live competition. Sitting him until the bye week wouldn't have helped because he wouldn't have gotten the full reps in practice and then once he came back, he still wouldn't have his timing with WRs down or his confidence going against full speed defenses trying to crush him.

Doesn't make sense. 

I'm talking about patience with the fans, I'm sure the team is more understanding, they don't have a choice.  But we're two games in and people are freaking out already.  lol  Expectations weren't that he was going to struggle like this.  I think, for the most part, people bought into the hype on his recovery.  People were predicting another playoff team as long as he played, if things don't get better fast enough, I don't see the response being quite so calm and rational as what you say if he continues to struggle. Understanding that's what he has to go through doesn't make it go down any easier losing game after game.  Particularly given the predictions coming into the season.  I don't recall too many 6-10 type season predictions out there.  Not that the season's over after two games, I'm just saying, that likelihood is as equally possible as 10-6.  I don't see 10-4 the rest of the way happening with this squad.    

I'm talking about patience with the fans, I'm sure the team is more understanding, they don't have a choice.  But we're two games in and people are freaking out already.  lol  Expectations weren't that he was going to struggle like this.  I think, for the most part, people bought into the hype on his recovery.  People were predicting another playoff team as long as he played, if things don't get better fast enough, I don't see the response being quite so calm and rational as what you say if he continues to struggle. Understanding that's what he has to go through doesn't make it go down any easier losing game after game.  Particularly given the predictions coming into the season.  I don't recall too many 6-10 type season predictions out there.  Not that the season's over after two games, I'm just saying, that likelihood is as equally possible as 10-6.  I don't see 10-4 the rest of the way happening with this squad.    

A 10-4 run against this schedule is very unlikely!

I predicted 9-7 when I was buying into Griffin's "All In" campaign. So, I was on the conservative side to begin with. At this point, I think 6 wins is pretty reasonable. Given the schedule, Griffin's recovery from injury, and the impact of the cap penalty...I don't believe that record to be a huge concern in the big picture.

A 10-4 run against this schedule is very unlikely!

I predicted 9-7 when I was buying into Griffin's "All In" campaign. So, I was on the conservative side to begin with. At this point, I think 6 wins is pretty reasonable. Given the schedule, Griffin's recovery from injury, and the impact of the cap penalty...I don't believe that record to be a huge concern in the big picture.

A reasonable post... Thank you. 6 or 7 wins is attainable and should suprise no one. We were 3-6 last year before the bye. Good teams don't do that. The stretch run was an outlier and we are simply regressing to the mean. Another season to get 10 fully up to speed and to get some pieces on both side of the ball will help us to be a perennial 9-11 win team and a yearly playoff contender in the intermediate and long run. 

We may have to get you some sort of 6 month ban from posting, because watching that video in your signature just makes it very very clear what we are missing!

I still don't know how he made that play lol.

A reasonable post... Thank you. 6 or 7 wins is attainable and should suprise no one. We were 3-6 last year before the bye. Good teams don't do that. The stretch run was an outlier and we are simply regressing to the mean. Another season to get 10 fully up to speed and to get some pieces on both side of the ball will help us to be a perennial 9-11 win team and a yearly playoff contender in the intermediate and long run. 

It's still early so let's not set ourselves up for abject failure just yet... one game at a time with some type of loosening beverage to go along for the ride. ;)

Agree with MartinC on his points.

Assuming the knee is as medically sound and healed as it can be, you absolutely have to let him play through this and get his game back. Sitting him the first 4 weeks would be pretty much pointless since he would still have to go through the same thing after those 4 weeks; it's just delaying the inevitable at that point. Same thing with benching him; all it would do is set him back. You have to let him play and take the lumps that will come with him not being himself yet as a player. In these situations you'd hope other facets of the team would be able to shine and take up some of the slack...no such luck; our D has been downright atrocious and special teams has been completely lackluster as well. If people are going to use the AP model then you need to give him 5-6 games at least and see if he is looking more comfortable and more like the old RG3 after that.

What happens if he is too over-reactive to pressure and dumps the ball off way before anyone has a chance to hit him? He will be skittish forever.  We've all seen QBs who are antsy and go into something short of short term panic by getting rid of the ball. If RGIII is too focused on anyone getting remotely close to his legs much less coming off the edge, he's gonna throw it, and unless its a quick slant, its doubtful he will be able to step into it for fear of taking that extra second to plant. Permanent nerves...

I don't think The Shanahans didn't know what we are seeing now wasn't coming. It's not like they have never coached players coming back from reconstructive surgery before.  They aren't stupid, and they saw RGIII at practice. It's not like RGIII was running like 2012 in practice, then suddenly was slow in the games.

It's the media and the fans (not all of us) that had delusions of what RGIII would look like at the onset of his return.

The fact he is, he needs to work his way back to his old-self with game time.  Sitting him does nothing to help strengthen his knee nor help him work off the natural mental fear of re-injury that happens.

If you aren't willing to take some losses in the short term in order to setup this franchise up for a long prosperous future, then I am not sure what to say.

What happens if he is too over-reactive to pressure and dumps the ball off way before anyone has a chance to hit him? He will be skittish forever.  We've all seen QBs who are antsy and go into something short of short term panic by getting rid of the ball. If RGIII is too focused on anyone getting remotely close to his legs much less coming off the edge, he's gonna throw it, and unless its a quick slant, its doubtful he will be able to step into it for fear of taking that extra second to plant. Permanent nerves...

TWO GAMES OMG ITZ PERMANENT PULL THE PLUG BENCH HIM NAO!

lol.

People are projecting their own delusions onto the coaches.

"We were fooled, so it must mean the coaches were too"

Tell me, when AP came back from surgery and didn't look like the same beast in the first month of games, did the coach bench him because he didn't look like his old self? Or did he ride it out let him build himself back up with reps and slowly watch him regain his form?

The doctor knew this was coming, the coaches knew this was coming, some of the fanbase did.

The ones who didn't, and buried their heads in the sand, are now frantically trying to reconcile their delusions and looking to blame someone when there is no blame for the situation at hand.

TWO GAMES OMG ITZ PERMANENT PULL THE PLUG BENCH HIM NAO!

lol.

Yeah I'm definitely curious where that belief that his apparent apprehension about going all out on the knee in the first 2 games after returning from major reconstructive surgery is an indication that it is permanent. 

Besides, the logic is flawed anyway. If we already know that his skittishness is permanent either just keep him and accept that he is never going to be more than a "good" QB or just cut him or trade him. If its already permanent what good does sitting him for a while do? 

Were the fans that knew this was coming, the same ones that wanted Cousins to start?

Or did they also cave to the pressure to play RG3. Was it inevitable that no matter longer how long it took him to heal, that we would be seeing rust, a tentativeness to run the RO, bad reads. That he simply had to play through it so why not start in week 1.

Perhaps the wait unti the bye week approach was disgarded to avert a possible QB controversy.  I dont know Mike's history with QBs but know most coaches seem to be very hesitant to make a change yet never will adimit it was to avert all the drama that comes when the backup does well.

mi6   

RG III is not confident in his ability, and is overly nervous about protecting his repaired leg.

He doesn't plant his right foot when making throws and as a result they don't have the zip needed.  

He is playing scared, and not the reckless abandon he did last year.

TD Riggo   

Nah. If you watch that video, it is obvious I posted it because .. DID YOU SEE Trent #71 truck that defender?! Holy crap sandwich, batman.

MartinC   

Nah. If you watch that video, it is obvious I posted it because .. DID YOU SEE Trent #71 truck that defender?! Holy crap sandwich, batman.

I watch Trent a lot during the games, he does that on a regular basis. He is man among boys even in the NFL. He flat dominated last week against Green Bay, Clay Matthews just about vanished.

Yeah I'm definitely curious where that belief that his apparent apprehension about going all out on the knee in the first 2 games after returning from major reconstructive surgery is an indication that it is permanent. 

Besides, the logic is flawed anyway. If we already know that his skittishness is permanent either just keep him and accept that he is never going to be more than a "good" QB or just cut him or trade him. If its already permanent what good does sitting him for a while do? 

Well, ya might wanna read and absorb the words being typed a little more thoroughly.

The human mind, and ego, are very tricky to deal with under pressure situations. No one is saying throw RGIII in the doghouse the rest of the season, but if he doesn't show improvement then either you leave him in there and settle for a 6-10 season at best, or you try to make this a TEAM game and sit him down for a little while; most are just thinking RGIII will never progress if he's not on the field; are you certain he EVER will fully recover? No, you're not. No one knows, not even RGIII at this juncture.

But, if the season is still up for grabs with playoff chances, then you have to put Cousins in. The drive of players like RGIII is to get on the field and prove himself; well he's not doing that as of yet. Sitting him for a game or so will challenge him some mentally but his desire to prove people wrong will be stronger if doubt or hesitation is brought onto him.

Thats cool. After the first game, it was evident he needs time...  thats solved.

Now how can they solve these other problems: bad play calling, bad o-line play, receivers dropping passes right in their hands.. the entire secodary, the sloppy tackling and the entire special teams from kicker to punter to long snapper. UGH.

I always question the "100%" diagnosis if he still HAS to wear the brace.  If he's wearing it by choice for comfort and peace of mind, that's one thing.  But I got the impression he's wearing it under medical orders, which to me implies it's still in some sort of danger.  

He has had 2 ACL repairs on the same knee. It would be foolish to play without the brace. Luck wears a brace. Manning wears a brace. It isn't the brace people. And that doesn't indicate he isn't "healthy".

He has had 2 ACL repairs on the same knee. It would be foolish to play without the brace. Luck wears a brace. Manning wears a brace. It isn't the brace people. And that doesn't indicate he isn't "healthy".

I heard something yesterday to the effect of the brace itself is to protect the knee from a hit, and its not something used to help him recover from the actual injury. I get this 'Forrest Gump" image in my head of him taking off running, then the brace falls apart. That would be kinda neat to see...